Ego in high end audio...cont.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't but adding a sub, which I use, adds both complexity, cost and takes up space, which are all issues in getting a realistic recreation of music in the home. Subs do add to maximum volume levels, impact, and of course extension but integration is more difficult and, unless done with a large amount of fiddling and tweaking, can seriously impact the transparency of the satellites.

So added expense, complexity, and size become issues that I would like to see ameliorated with an all in one solution at an affordable price.

Yep, noone said it was EASY getting a great system that does everything right! Good bass response with a good power response curve requires a lot of air to be moved. IB subs do the best with that in terms of required in room space, construction costs, etc. But require more drivers and the appropriate setup. Subs have better flexibility options than sub modules within full range speakers...and the ability to actively cross them over, allows for better power response and efficiency to the other parts of the main speaker.

I agree with JonFo on the line array concept....it's got too many benefits to be ignored. They are generally expensive to build, however, due to the multiples of drivers...but DIY recoups much of that cost. There are a lot of different considerations as well, in terms of crossovers, EQ (which most speakers have some amount of filtering), etc. For example...2 way speakers have certain limitations, in that if you use a larger midrange, it starts lobing at higher frequencies, but if you use smaller midranges, you don't get the bass extension...yet when you start to add more elements, you have more phase issues, and crossover issues to deal with.

I'm going to experiment in the coming months with a couple of different designs, to try to figure out what is the best set of tradeoffs for me.

As for the question...if something sounds good to me, but measures poorly, would I be happy with it? No.
I want to listen to what is being presented...and base my tastes off of that, not change the characteristics of what I listen to in order to match my taste. It's akin to painting some earrings on the mona lisa...it may be your preference...but it's not the same. Also, if you go to a concert hall and listen to an orchestra...you don't ever say "man, this could use some more treble"...you can say either you liked the performance, music, etc...or you didn't...but you'd never try to alter that sound to better suit your tastes, would you? A neutral transducer should create that same feeling.

When it comes to manufactered music...the original state is much less important that it is for live music...and you can alter the signal however you want to match your taste...and that's what I do regularly in my car...but that's a far cry from "high fidelity." Fidelity = faithful. Faithful reproduction of the source.

I believe part of the problem is the definition of "tests." There are MANY different tests that can be run, that each tell you a little bit different things about a speaker. Almost always, the characteristics someone describes from hearing a speaker can be verified by one or more of these tests. In the same vein, the performance can be predicted in the same nature.

Charliemike made the point about one's ears. This is true, however, if I go to a concert hall and listen to music...I'm listening with the same ears...so "neutral" should remain the same.

Room interactions are very important. A speaker that sounds/measures great in one room could sound horrible in another. Most tests are done in the nearfield, while a much more telling set of tests would be to run the same tests at listening position within your own room. These are rarely done (or at least not published) because they have little meaning to anyone else, since they have a different room.

well ya know. it's not that crazy:D There are some of us out there that have to like the looks of the equipment, before they can settle down to listen.. of course that could be because the wife wouldn't let you settle down to listen unless it looks good in her LR.:D

One of many important tradeoffs in high end audio. Everyone has a different set of compromises they must make!

Love this thread! My .02 is to remind us all that differences in our own individual hearing acuities are probably more significant than differences in specs between most competently designed components. I assert that as individuals we unconsciously choose components which are voiced to match our particular hearing acuities (or lack thereof). Of course our systems sound better to us than someone elses-we voiced them to our own preferences. If I believed in measurements I'd have thrown away my magnificent Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge long ago since it measures so poorly!

So true. That is one reason people form such dedication to particular brands I bet :)

Last edited:
Love this thread! .....If I believed in measurements I'd have thrown away my magnificent Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge long ago since it measures so poorly!

This is so true! Too many people carry on about measurements. I honestly believe that we only have the capability to measure a *VERY* small percentage of what goes on in our systems. 2007 science is NOT complete! Things are happening that we cannot explain - who would have thought my squeezebox delivering a lossless digital stream to my DAC would sound so different to my Marantz 8300 acting as transport to the same DAC - but it does!

Differences down to what sort of digital cable you use have all been well documented for many years now. We cannot explain these sound differences with 2007 science, but who knows, one day science may give us a better picture of what is going on. Until then, we have to listen only - not worry about specs!

It's funny, because we think we know everything. We laugh at how little we knew 50 short years ago - and the same will be said in 50 years time - "Can you believe? - 20 years ago they had no idea why optical cables didn't sound as good as coaxial ones"......etc.

Last edited:
"Can you believe? - 20 years ago they had no idea why optical cables didn't sound as good as coaxial ones"......etc.

, , , , , , you mean why optical cables sound better than coax, don't you?

, , , , , , you mean why optical cables sound better than coax, don't you?

Depends on the "optical". It is pretty much agreed upon that Digital coax is better than TOSlink. But the AT&T glass fiber standard (connects like a BNC) is better than coax, though not commonly seen :(

I think the better way to say it is...we can measure pretty much everything that goes on IN our system (and in our rooms) very precisely, but we can't measure our own reaction to the system very well at all. Psychoacoustics (I want this $10k speaker to sound better than this $5k one) , sonic preferences, etc. So while we can measure which is a more accurate system, we can't measure which system a given person will like more. Just because we generally don't do advanced testing on speakers and systems, doesn't mean we don't have the technology or ability to do so if we wanted to.

I think the better way to say it is...we can measure pretty much everything that goes on IN our system (and in our rooms) very precisely, but we can't measure our own reaction to the system very well at all. Psychoacoustics (I want this $10k speaker to sound better than this $5k one) , sonic preferences, etc.

The ear/brain interface is definitely too complex to develop definitive models of its function at this time and as you stated, psychoacoustics will typically trump measured accuracy and in the end there is no accounting for taste.

So while we can measure which is a more accurate system, we can't measure which system a given person will like more. Just because we generally don't do advanced testing on speakers and systems, doesn't mean we don't have the technology or ability to do so if we wanted to.

We can measure with outstanding accuracy many parameters of an audio system but what we can't do is correlate those measurements with the subjective enjoyment of sound. Those test don't tell us anything useful about how a component will sound. The wetware in our skulls is too subjective and prone to being tricked for us to be able to predict what will be liked soundwise, measurements or not!

We can measure with outstanding accuracy many parameters of an audio system but what we can't do is correlate those measurements with the subjective enjoyment of sound. Those test don't tell us anything useful about how a component will sound. The wetware in our skulls is too subjective and prone to being tricked for us to be able to predict what will be liked soundwise, measurements or not!

While true that we can't generalize that measurement X will always sound better /worse, I do believe we can indeed correlate certain measurements to improved / decreased enjoyment.

For instance, accurate speaker delay alignment, both within a speaker system and from unit to unit is critical to maximizing the sound field cohesion.

Are measurements absolute predictors, no. But they are very useful tools in evaluating component behavior and indeed, in predicting some of the actual sound.

I do agree that our complex wetware is subject to all kinds of influences, and many are quite non-scientific (unless we include the science of Psychology ;) )

I’ve even considered building up some impressive ‘monoblock’ amp housings, complete with big meters (with a deep purple backlight), stacking those out in the HT room next to the Monoliths and telling visitors all about these handcrafted, super dupper megawatt, 100+ amps of current each megabuck behemoths.
If I do it right, they’ll even show up with drool icons associated in the ‘Super systems’ thread :cool:

The ear/brain interface is definitely too complex to develop definitive models of its function at this time and as you stated, psychoacoustics will typically trump measured accuracy and in the end there is no accounting for taste.

At which point the question becomes...what is a speaker manufacturer's goal? As JonFo points out, a lot of it is to influence the psychological aspects...but beyond that, it is either to create an artificially "pleasing" sound that has characteristics that make a good first impression on listeners...or to be neutral. If the second is their goal, then there are ways to measure their success in that. Just because individual people might not like the sound of the "best" speaker out there (the one that best achieves the neutral goal) doesn't make it's merits as a reproducer of a musical signal any less superior to its competitors.

So better is objective, but not everyone has a preference for a better speaker (just as some people can tell no difference between bose and Martin Logan...does that mean that ML isn't a better speaker?) :p

For instance, accurate speaker delay alignment, both within a speaker system and from unit to unit is critical to maximizing the sound field cohesion.

This and FR are two of the few that I would agree with you on. Time/phase coherence does seem to be very important to good sound and imaging. Regarding FR, ever speaker I've heard with a flat treble response has sounded excessively bright in real rooms. My experience is that a declining high freq. response (not rolled off) is preferable.

I’ve even considered building up some impressive ‘monoblock’ amp housings, complete with big meters (with a deep purple backlight), stacking those out in the HT room next to the Monoliths and telling visitors all about these handcrafted, super duper megawatt, 100+ amps of current each megabuck behemoths. If I do it right, they’ll even show up with drool icons associated in the ‘Super systems’ thread :cool:

LOL

to Beat:

Depends on the "optical". It is pretty much agreed upon that Digital coax is better than TOSlink. But the AT&T glass fiber standard (connects like a BNC) is better than coax, though not commonly seen :(

I was just pulling your chain:rolleyes: The fact is, most AT&T sucks compared to a high quality coax or AES/EBU connector unless you're willing (yes I went for it) to spend a grand on an Aural Symphonics or Translite AT&T cable -- in which case the AT&T beats everything IMO.

Back