Dynamo help!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjay

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Dynamo from the US to use in Australia but I'm having a few problems. I bought a 500watt step down transformer which I was assured would be sufficient for the power requirements of the Dynamo but after about 20mins of listening (awesome sound by the way!), it turned off.

I checked the fuse and sure enough it was totally melted! Has anyone had experience with this before, and if so what do I need to do to be able to listen to my Dynamo again!

thanks for your help

Pjay,

:welcome: to our forum!

Is there any way you can get a hold of ML? See if you can get Jim Powers on the line for you, he will help you sort this out.

Joey

PS
Good luck. ;)

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Dynamo from the US to use in Australia but I'm having a few problems. I bought a 500watt step down transformer which I was assured would be sufficient for the power requirements of the Dynamo but after about 20mins of listening (awesome sound by the way!), it turned off.

I checked the fuse and sure enough it was totally melted! Has anyone had experience with this before, and if so what do I need to do to be able to listen to my Dynamo again!

thanks for your help

Hola pjay. Be sure that you are 117 V.A.C. If you are a little step over, the Dynamo power supply could be overpowered and could melt not only the protection fuse...just buy a non expensive A.C. tester and confirm the value of the voltage supplied to the Dynamo. On the other hand, 1000 watts stepped transformer would do it better. Why? The watts energy consumption is a different value of power watts, these watts are clean power watts to drive the speaker without any distortion up to 200W RMS (route means square)= square of 2 divided by 2= a constant value of .707. You measure the peak value just before the amp clipps and multiply this by this constant, then you get the RMS power value. Hope this might help...happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Did the sub's fuse blow or the stepdown transformer's fuse?

You should check with ML to see if the 120 VAC 60HZ sub can work off of 50Hz. You may be saturating the magnetics in the sub at 50Hz. The other issue might be the class D amp in the sub. These pull a lot of current at the peak of the sine wave and if the step down transformer cannot deliver the current this may also cause a problem.

hi guys thanks for the warm welcome!

roberto I checked the output of the transformer and it measured 118VAC which seems fine.

The fact that the fuse keeps blowing (the sub's fuse) would suggest that the sub is drawing too many amps? I've tried emailing Martin Logan but haven't got any replies (It's a bit hard for me to call because of the time difference in Aus).

hi guys thanks for the warm welcome!

roberto I checked the output of the transformer and it measured 118VAC which seems fine.

The fact that the fuse keeps blowing (the sub's fuse) would suggest that the sub is drawing too many amps? I've tried emailing Martin Logan but haven't got any replies (It's a bit hard for me to call because of the time difference in Aus).

Hola...well in this case, it is not normal the fuse to blow. The fuse is a protection devise, and if it is blowing, it is because the circuit is draining too much current and it could cause damage to the amplifier/power supply. My advise is talk to Jim Power at Martin Logan or e-mail him ([email protected]). He is the right person and the Service Guru at ML. Also he is an angel!!! He is helping everybody!!! Happy listening,
Roberto.

Welcome! Any reason you didn't buy it here in Australia? You say the fuse in the sub is blowing, not the transformer. I've no idea why, but it could be something to do with current draw.

If the sub is anything like ML speakers, it will not have adjustable voltage. A more thorough solution may be to order a new 240v power supply from ML. Again, if it is anything like the speakers it probably won't be too difficult to fit.

Back