Dual subwoofer placement?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
I’m thinking about adding (2) Rel Q-201E subwoofers to my Monolith IIIx
system. What is the best placement for these Subs?

1) Behind each speaker?
2) To the side of each speaker?
3) In front of each speaker?
4) To the left and right side of my sitting position?

Thanks

Cherian

Hi Cher, we know it goes without saying...."Room dependent", but with that being said one front and one rear seems a possibility as well (I think Dan's DTB300 room is set up this way). Hopefully our two resident sub guru's (JonFo & DTB300) will chime in

Dual stereo subs usually work well slightly behind each main.

However I have had the best luck with one directly in between and one directly behind. Harmon International did a test with multiple subs and two with the latter configuration worked the best !

the opposite of main speakers.

Even though it is counter intuitive, You want subs to be asymetrical. This avoids any cancellation effects. Avoid corners. Keep away from objects that might sing along with them. I have actually tried them beside the listening position with good results. If they are front firing you don't want them behind the your Logans because they can excite the panel.
It really is trial and error. You look as though your front wall is a little congested with equipment. Therefore beside the listening position might be worth a try.
.:cool:

Last edited:
Room Placement, Room Treatments (Low End Absorption), Sub EQ, and Measurements will give you optimal results and performance.

Cherian - see PM I sent you...

Last edited:
I want to know too.

Cherian - see PM I sent you...
DTB 300

I anticipate new subs in the near future. Could you share that info with me?
Also I was trying to locate your system post.:confused:

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful!!!

Gregadd I FWD the PM to you. I hope you find it helpful.

Regards,

Cherian

Dowload the manual for the JL Audio subs too...

They have some pretty good insights into multiple subwoofer placement.

Take a breath everyone...Geesh, you think I passed on the secret for the Fountain of Youth or where Atlantis really is. LOL :ROFL:

All of this has been discussed here and on MANY audio forums and manufactures sites out on the net. There is no CONCRETE solution for purchasing subs and just dropping them into your room and expect them to work as each room, components, and our preferences are very different.

• Room Placement - Depends on each room and setup - many articles out on the net discussing this topic - room modes, placement effects, etc.
  • Room Treatments - Basically lots of low end absorption - Ethan Winer has discussed this many times here and on other acoustic forums
  • Room EQ - Many products out there discussed for EQing your sub and how well they work or not for each person
  • Measurements - Many programs (free, cheap, and more expensive) and microphones used, then how to take measurements - other forums available for this too

A little research, then reading, more research, then reading, going to stores listening to subs, moving them around, listen to more subs, purchase subs, purchase room treatments and trying them in many different places, playing around with measurement software and RadShack meters, etc. Nothing really new not already discussed here.

Got the 2 REL Q201E subs installed today and all I can say is WOW what a punch. It sounds way better than my one Depth. My Depth has moved on to HT duty. The RELs are placed behind each Monolith firing to the side. It is a touch boomy but over the next few days I will dial in. Pink Floyd's song Welcome to the Machine almost shook down the house. These little 12" cube RELs with 10" drivers are very good.

The best configuration using two subs in my largish room so far is one against the front wall slightly inside the right speaker, the second more than 20 feet away in the left/front corner. The speakers are about five feet from the front wall and time delayed through a digital EQ to the distance to the first sub's driver. Sub one is crossed over at ~35Hz, number 2 is ~ 80Hz. both subs have their own level control but the second one is slaved to the first. Speakers are getting a full range signal (vantages)

this is a tough subject. I have both of my JL Fathoms in each front corner to the sides of my SL3's angled in so they fit, and they sound great. I honestly have not really messed with placing these things anywhere else, as they really would not fit into the decor (would be in the way) and also due to their monstrous weight! Those beasts at about 140 lbs are pretty heavy, even for a football player like myself!
as Tonepub said, the JL audio manuals have some good tips on placement.

Back