Driving Sequel II's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve from UK

Reaction score
Currently using a Musical Fidelity pre/power (308 pre/power) rated at 250/8 and 450/4.

This combo had no problem driving Kef reference 3.2's to ear-shattering levels with lots in reserve.

Now,obviously the Kefs are a damn sight easier load but i'm having to crank the pre to 12 o'clock (midway) to get decent volume from the Logans !

Sorry - my point...

How would something like a Krell 400xi integrated handle the Sequels?

Anyone using this combo (or the Krell driving the older 'statics)?

I have fond memories of a 300i I owned some years ago - great bass but not the most neutral of performers - aparently the 400 'fixes' this problem.

In an ideal world I'd be demo-ing some Krell pre/powers or something from Levinson but this is the real world and imminent house purchase means i'm having the set my sights a little lower.

The MF pair could be sold giving me enough to go for a Krell 400xi with a little change - it would also free up some rack space.

Any comments most welcome (unless they're along the lines of 'go for the X amp for $25,000 :D).

I'm in the UK btw so whilst a lot of gear is available some of the usual suspects fetch rediculous prices on the used market and are difficult to track down - Mcintosh and Sunfire springs to mind.

Many thanks,
Steve

Yeah -- The Sequel IIs are a nasty load for any amplifier, being low in impedance, moderate in sensitivity, and of high phase angle in reactive load. So having to twist the knob a bit more than with the KEFs is totally, totally expected.

I would say that your amp is handling the speakers well... But if you got a wicked case of Joey-itus festering inside of you like a bad fart, then IT'S TIME TO GO SHOPPING !! :D:D:D -- I would think that the Krell integrated unit (very nice, BTW...) would serve you well.

Let us know what you decide and how it all pans out.

~VDR

Thanks VDR - interestingly i've just read your thread re: SL3's and new panels.

That's got me thinking !

I'm getting SERIOUS amounts of bass but put it down to poor speaker positioning ( to be fair I do have them far too close to rear/side walls but nothing I can do about that at the moment).

How much were the new panels? (and are they still available for the Sequel II's? - I haven't a clue about which ML model is which :eek:).

What you driving your ML's with? (I'm presuming the SL3's are similar to the Sequel II's if a little newer).

Sorry for all the questions.

Steve

My system page is up-to-date with all of the specs. But to state it quickly, it is a vertically bi-amped rig driven by 2 Acurus A-150s. Nothing special except the way it sounds...:D

New panels for all Sequel models are a real bargain in the US at around $600, delivered to your door. But I have gotten reports that foreign owners pay considerably more... Think: piracy on the high seas.

Again, good luck resolving your issues. I'm sure that your efforts/expenditures will be richly rewarded !

~VDR

I should have just clicked your link :eek:

Thanks for the advice mate.

I'll track down the Distributors over here and get a quote for a re-panel.

If the pricing is too steep I might be cheeky and ask if someone would mind purchasing panels over there then forward them onto me - all cleared funds first naturally.

Decisions decisions.

MF 308 or Krell 400 + new panels...

Steve - I paid £750 to re-panel my Ascents recently. Sequels will be about the same.

Forget the Krell - get some new panels. The Sequel is hard to drive, but not THAT hard. Those MFs are VERY powerful. How old do you think the Sequel panels are?

If you didn't get you panels froma a dealer, you might find it hard to get any at all!!! Try approaching Absolute Sounds directly. Let me know how you get on.

BTW: Loads of bass and not much mid/hi output is a sure sign the panels are gone. If they are any older than 10 years ditch 'em, though some here would not agree. I have never had a set last me more than 7 years. But any SLIGHT HINT that they are going and I get a new pair.

Justin

Last edited:
I wouldn't be at all bothered by having to use half the volume control to get the dB you desire. I mean, you've got half of it left! How much wasted potential do you need? ;) Kidding aside, I think you have a great amp with enough power and you probably won't find much difference from another amp in volume level. Some amps have more power than others, but most run pretty close to the same gain (Vin/Vout). I really wouldn't worry about that unless you're getting distortion or running out of volume adjustment entirely.

I'm not sure of the relative differences between the original Sequels and the IIs, but in my listening room, now the living room, a 15 x 20 space roughly, my original Sequels are at good volume with the volume control at the 10'o clock position, on average. Bear in mind I haven't worked on room acoustics yet, and my Citation II is rated at "only" 70 W/c. Ideally for me, if I keep the amp, I'll add a subwoofer to the mix. Be that as it may, I'm certainly not disappointed. I'd consider a conservatively rated valve amp like the Citation II, if they were available with 240v, or something similar. Best yet, a valve preamp to go with the rest!

Thanks folks.

Justin,after reading VDR's various posts i'm leaning towards the possibilty that I have very tired panels.

The speakers are around 15 years old and are using the original panels.

These are my first foray into anything other than cone speakers so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Don't get me wrong,occasionally they do delight but the vast majority of my music sounds dull and lifeless.

This evening one channel was developing a 'crackling' sound on female vocals - I stopped the CD,waited a while the re-played the same track without trouble - perhaps they're for the 'knackers yard'...

Thanks folks.
Justin,after reading VDR's various posts i'm leaning towards the possibilty that I have very tired panels.
That's very likely. The panels on mine are mismatched; the original owner ordered a replacement set of panels after his cat had caused one speaker to do a faceplant; he ignored M.L. customer support's advice to replace BOTH panels since they're matched, and replaced only the one broken panel. He came up with all sorts of worse than fuzzy logic to explain as to why he did that, but he's an idiot. Result being one panel was in it's shipping box for 20+ years, and one was in the environment for the same amount of time. I'm really surprised that they perform as well as they do, but just the same I'll be ordering new panels soon. For what it's worth, the new panels sport their ClearSpar technology, and I believe they're a bit more sensitive than original as well. I can't wait to hear them!:rocker:

Steve,

My SL3s are not lights years away from your Sequels, and I do use MF amplification.

My notes:

1. Find the 'panel washing' thread with pictures and get on with it. Definately worth a try before sourcing replacement panels (the UK price for panels is preposterous IMO)

2. Experiment heavily with room acoustics and speaker placement - it can make them change like night and day

3. Biamplify! I now use two pairs of XA-200 monoblocks and the difference was clear, even when changing from biamplifying with a smaller MF amp for the cones. MF power amps tend to have 30db gain, so they can be interchangeable.
The panels suck out all the juice from their amps, so there is not much left for the cones (which themselves demand a surprising amount of power)

Latest posts

Back