Sequel IIs to Ottawa!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinf

Reaction score
Hi all

Yesterday I did a 850km/500+ mile round trip between Ottawa, Ontario, and central Vermont to pick up my first MLs, a pair of Sequel IIs for $450. I think it was a pretty good score. So did the dear people at Canada customs, who evidently thought it was far too good to be true. They unloaded the huge boxes off my little Mazda hatchback's roof, squinted uncomprehendingly at the box of brand-new spare stators and panels, and eventually phoned the seller to confirm the price before letting me go.

One of the panels must be reattached, which is partly why they were so cheap, but they seem to be in perfect shape otherwise. (Did I mention they came with a set of Swiss-made Prisma Cable 4 speaker cables? Just thought I'd drop that in...) I know some reviewers had problems with the integration between panel and woofer in these early models but, hey, for $450 I thought I'd risk it in return for an introduction to the ML sound.

I'm trying to keep my system to around $1k at any given time, so here's how it looks at the moment: Yamaha XR-V1400 AV receiver (my XR-V2500 died), Rotel RB985 5-channel 4ohm stable power amp (soon to be exchanged for an Adcom GFA2535, I hope), 2 x Sony 300 CD changers optically linked to the Yammie (ie using its DACs), Maggie .6QR mains, ancient but excellent Energy AS-180 sub & TV stand, AR-something rears, and Realistic Minimus 7 presence speakers. (I have a turntable and some vinyl, but it's not connected at the moment.) Just got rid of a pair of Kef Q5 mains and a Polk centre channel. I'm not terribly concerned with audio quality for surround (obviously) & mainly listen to stereo music.

My listening space is so far suboptimal as to be positively subterranean. Nonetheless, I'm greatly looking forward to hearing my new MLs.

Last edited:
Welcome Robin - glad you didn't end up in a small concrete block room at the border :)

I too have made long round-trip drives for speaker purchases... furthest (at about 750 miles) was NYC when I picked up my (now long departed) Apogee Duettas.

Back