Do you buy songs from itunes, or just buy the CD?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guy and gals that stream their music to their systems are satisfied and buy itunes songs at 256kbps or just buy the whole cd and convert to lossless audio?
If I like more than one song on the album, i tend to order the cd, but if it is just one song, I go to itunes...

what is everyone else in obsessive audio land doing?
gordon

I was wondering if any of you guy and gals that stream their music to their systems are satisfied and buy itunes songs at 256kbps or just buy the whole cd and convert to lossless audio?
If I like more than one song on the album, i tend to order the cd, but if it is just one song, I go to itunes...

what is everyone else in obsessive audio land doing?
gordon

I'm not an iTunes customer. I either buy discs or download hi-rez flac.

Cheers

i do some of both, gordon.. It's so easy to just download the album from iTunes... Of course I convert it to MP3 so I can play it anywhere.. I still prefer to buy CDs, though.. Normally on Amazon. I rip twice: a FLAC version and a VBR MP3 version so I can listen on my iPhone.

Same here, Itunes, FLAC, CD's depends on my mood nd the album in question.

I listen to a lot of stuff in full on Spotify - it is always there - so what the hell is the point of buying it from Spotify? 320Kbps is very acceptable, but if I really like something I always buy it on CD - just to get the extra quality, really.

I'm not an iTunes customer. I either buy discs or download hi-rez flac.

Cheers

+1 - I don't touch iTunes.

As with Justin though, I do listen to a lot of compressed music from Spotify / internet radio. It's fine for that purpose, but that's not serious listening.

I buy the CD - and as soon as it arrives, it goes in the PC to get ripped to FLAC and and high-bit-rate MP3 (for iThings).

I stream lossless content only, never any compressed stuff.

I also have purchased a few high-rez lossless download tracks from sources such as AIX.

I find CD's to be bare minimum quality, and seek out DVD-A, SACD or BluRay for bands that support these formats, preferably in multichannel mixes.

I do a combo of things..
new stuff that gets my toes tapping on the radio - iTunes
Serious Stuff that I really want to listen to.. I try HDTracks, if not there, order the CD and immediately rip it to Apple Lossless to play on my main A/V system or my office headphone system.

I still buy SACDs (hybrid) when available or redbook when not available in SACD format. I buy from Amazon or Acoustic Sound, and on E-bay for the rare hard to find stuff. Then if possible I rip them to MP3 and lossless formats and put them up on my NAS drive for access from anywhere in the world.

So far, the only things I've downloaded from iTunes are single songs and one movie soundtrack for my wife's iPod, which she uses while running. For myself, I buy vinyl and CDs. I rip the CDs into WAV on one computer and AIFF on another (my server). I use the AIFF files for my audio system and the WAV files for listening while using my computer and for burning CDs.

I buy cd's then rip them and send the stream to my squeezbox touch then keep the cd's in the SUV

Back