DIY tube amp pros needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanD

Reaction score
Okay guy, first off thank you for stopping by to lend your input/wisdom.

I myself am a college student and is looking to build a could DIY tube mono-blocks.

Partly because I am on a strict budget and this will allow me to get the sound I want, and partly because I am a Physics student so this is awesome practice, and also I kind of like the whole "labor-of-love" aspect of really owning something I built.

I have found quite a few kits floating around and I am really wanting thoughts and opinions.

I first found out about this from

www.decware.com

and they offer a few kits that are very nicely priced (w/o tubes and enclosure) and a very extensive video tutorial on youtube about how to build amps.

I also found

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/tubes.htm

and they offer a lot of kits and little personal stories.

I just want so thoughts. Maybe personal stories? Things to look for? Potenial upgrades and locations to purchase such upgrades.

I really just want to know what I am getting into and if its even worth looking into it.

Decware even offers a tube mono for under $800 which is not out of the question for me, I would however just have to save up a bit.

Also I noticed that most of these little tube amps "like" to have a a higher sensitivity in order to work in larger spaces (96db is recommended or so they say), can someone explain this?

I am a tube novice and thought this might be a good starting point, what do you think?

Also these will be used for standard TV, Movie, Video Game, and Music usage pretty much all equally, and I will be running a set of ML Theos.

Last edited:
Higher sensitivity means less power output required for a given spl. Sensitivity is normally rated as: xdbl at 1meter with 1v input.
Use ohms' law to determine ballpark requirements.

Be careful... sounds like maybe you haven't yet had an electronics 101 course(?) Tubes require high voltage rails and you can get "thumped" pretty easily.
Also, don't under-estimate the importance of good soldering technique .
There are many decent tutorials on-line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnGUMi7lQ

Good luck

Latest posts

Back