Digital amps on ESLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have been reading is that the B&O ICE amps are just great, and since rotel, bel canto, seymore, etc. all use them at similar price points so I do have many options haha.

A B&O ICE amp might sound a little cold and flat with ML speakers in my opinion. But that's just me so take it with a grain of salt.
Regarding Emotiva, I own a pair of upa1s and while they are considered their most musical amp and warmer than their others a year or two back, they're not good enough for my Vistas. They're still bright and and a little lifeless so I use them for HT. I wouldn't recommend any of amps for a main stereo system. Well, you experienced them so you know :). But this new XPA1L seems very interesting being their first class A amp, should sound better than their other stuff. Maybe they have listened to their customers. Just something to consider :)

Hi, Jordan

Yeah I was really considering Rotel. They get great reviews and their price point seems very reasonable.

@pneumonic: Can you explain what your post mean a little more in depth. If it helps I have ML Theos and that is what I am going to drive.

One of the struggles with class D (switch mode) amps is they do not have linear high frequency response due to the use of a low pass filter on their output, outsdie of a feedback loop. You'll find that their frequency response depends on the characteristic of the speaker load they are connected too. Since speaker loads differ so too will the frequency response of a switch mode amp. You may hear resonances and beat frequencies.

If you are working with a speaker load that is known then a switch mode amp can work fine because the designer can tailor his amp to have perfect frequency response into that 1 specific load. Or, they can work fine in any application where linear high frequency response is not an issue.This is why you see them in great use in powered sub setups where it doesn't matter about high frequencies. They also run cool and can be more easily placed in sub cabinents quite easily.

Another issue is they tend to give off large amounts of supersonic noise and radio frequency interference that can cause problems in associated electronics. Power supply noise rejection can be an issue.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm driving a pr of Theos with the Cary 200.2 Amp. The rest of my system is all tubes, however. In that the ESL presents a load like a capacitor, I'm of the thought that s/s is the way to go, but I am really intrigued by the Rogue Audio Medusa (or Hydra....less power, less money), which is a tube input and s/s output. I'm a big ARC fan, but I think they never really got their act together with s/s, so I looked at their HD-220 with mixed feelings, which is also a hybrid. I think a tube Pre with a s/s (or perhaps hybrid) power amp is the way to go. My Cary sounds very sweet with the Theos. I see them on Audiogon from time to time in the 2500.00 range. I bought a Demo in roughly that price range. They need a lot of burn in time, I think the 100 hours Cary recommends is a little on the short side. The Theos needs a bit longer, I thought, for burn in then I anticipated as well. Here's a review of them that started me off: http://www.10audio.com/cary_sa-200-2.htm.
Good luck in your quest, whatever you choose. Don't forget quality interconnects and speaker cables are also very important in the overall picture.

I second on quality interconnects and speaker cables. A friend of my had gone through a lot of components and was never completely happy with his system/got the right sound. He finally invested in quality cables/ICs (maybe a little too much :)) and now his system is really flowing and opening up. He is very happy but also regret wondering how all those components he has switched would sound in his system if he had the current cables/ICs.

I have ML Purity's, which are fully powered by a built-in switching amp. I even believe they are B&O amps, but I am not sure about that. They sound great, but I must confess I have never heard other ML's than my own.

Back