Descent Wood Top

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh, I wonder just how much they made from my purchase! Here in the UK we get ripped off for everything. The Summits have now increased to £9300!

Is that the actual price or the actual price plus all the outrageous taxes?

Blame your government for the outrageous tax part.

-Allen

Is that the actual price or the actual price plus all the outrageous taxes?

Blame your government for the outrageous tax part.

-Allen

That is the actual price including all taxes! I certainly do blame the government. I probably ended up paying around £7k if you take into consideration the extra I got on the trade-in - still enough though!

It is not so easy to ship from the US. By the time you pay VAT and customs duty it will cost you more. Then there is the issue of warranty! So looks like we are stuck.
London is a cool city, but just very expensive.

I will let you know how I get on with them - latest is that they may arrive the end of next week :)
Marc.

Good luck with the arrival of your Summits!

Make sure to post pics of your babies!

Joey :)

Just heard back from the dealer here and they want GBP200 for the wood top - I don't think so!! I called ML direct and they sait it would be $150 but they will not sell directly. Mind you I still think this is too high.

So I think I am going to post a wanted advert here...

Perhaps ML has recently changed their sales policy, but I purchased two Descent tops directly last year, at different times. Around $100 if I recall correctly.

Tj

Perhaps ML has recently changed their sales policy, but I purchased two Descent tops directly last year, at different times. Around $100 if I recall correctly.

Tj

Really - I will try calling them and see if they will sell for that then?
Thanks
Marc.

At one time you could even buy trim directly from the ML website, along with other goodies like tee shirts and such.

Tj

Marc,
The Natural Cherry top will cost you $200.00 from ML. OUCH!!!:eek:
Might want to search Ebay to see if you can find it cheaper.

At one time you could even buy trim directly from the ML website, along with other goodies like tee shirts and such.

Tj

You can still buy the trim pieces from Martin Logan's website but have you checked the prices lately? Maple or Black are just $100. But if you want any other wood type be prepared to shell out $400-$500. Can you say Ouch???

Why not use your original top to make a template and cut your own?

WOW, that is $17,000.00 US!!!

One of the things I have noticed is that for things like cars (and $10k speakers) a direct currency conversion doesn't accurately reflect the true costs as a native purchasing local. True, if a Brit came to the US he could buy them for about half what it would cost him (and vice-versa).

But as a person living in the UK? I might be wrong but I would think taking our MSRP and adding 14% VAT (I think?) is a more accurate comparison. So basically, about $11,500?

Why not use your original top to make a template and cut your own?

More hassle really and not enough time with a little baby!

I will call ML and see if they will sell me a top for $100...
Marc.

I called ML - for Natural Cherry it is $200. Think I will give that a miss for now... my Summits arrive on Tuesday :)

I called ML - for Natural Cherry it is $200. Think I will give that a miss for now... my Summits arrive on Tuesday :)

Congrats on the arrival of your babies! Are we talking Descent tops or Descenti tops?

$200!! The Ascent custom rails only cost $100 a pair!

Yea, that does seem kind of high for a Descent top! My piano black top was about that same though I think... Now my speakers all match my sub, they look SOOOO good! :rocker:

Back