Demo Summit X's sold as "new"!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Experienced with ML than most members here on this site?

Somewhat pretentious to say the least.

All it takes is a couple of ML jokesters to pull this off?

Really?

I thought you decided to bury this issue. Witness your removing your opening statement.

So, what is your take? Honest mistake or continued bashing?

GG

Experienced with ML than most members here on this site?

Somewhat pretentious to say the least.

All it takes is a couple of ML jokesters to pull this off?

Really?

I thought you decided to bury this issue. Witness your removing your opening statement.

So, what is your take? Honest mistake or continued bashing?

GG
I'll give them the benefit, however, I did feel that I disclosed most of what their e-mail stated. I didn't feel that it aided in any further "clarifying", as one poster commented. "Prententious" is certainly not my intention, I've owned Logans since 96 and have had many positive experiences with their product...enough to keep me coming back! My main reason for posting in the first place was to see if perhaps this had happened to someone else, if not, to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else!! Perhaps you can save your attitude for your lonely self next time!!

Last edited:
Whatever any jokers were trying, they weren't trying very hard you'll have to admit? Unless I missed something it sounds not especially malicious, but more like your garden variety head-up-backside so far.
Your probably right...but it will end very well for me no doubt!!

Your probably right...but it will end very well for me no doubt!!

I don't blame you for being steamed. I'm positive it was an honest mix-up, but regardless, it is extremely disheartening to open up a "new" box to find that what you paid for is not what you received. Bottom line, ML bent-over backwards to rectify the situation. I don't think many other manufacturers would be so gracious.

Enjoy the Xs... beautiful speakers!

I understand your initial reason for posting. I would have been upset but it seems, by your own admission, ML has made every effort to make it right.

I don't have an attitude. I am merely repeating a fact you seem to agree with as again witnessed by your elimination of your opening post. ;)

Good luck with your new Summits. Having owned the legacy version for some five years, I'm sure they will bring you many hours of musical bliss.

GG

Peter and Justin should be applauded for going above and beyond - getting involved - and going thru the ringer for this forum. Thanks guys. We recognize it and your management should as well!!

Speaking as someone who has put them through the ringer as much as anyone, I suppose, ;) I think this statement bears repeating. Peter and Justin's participation on this forum is invaluable and I want them to know that we all do appreciate it very much. Even when we are lambasting them. :D You guys are helping to cement Martin Logan's reputation as one of the premier speaker manufacturers in the world.

Speaking as someone who has put them through the ringer as much as anyone, I suppose, ;) I think this statement bears repeating. Peter and Justin's participation on this forum is invaluable and I want them to know that we all do appreciate it very much. Even when we are lambasting them. :D You guys are helping to cement Martin Logan's reputation as one of the premier speaker manufacturers in the world.

That's good to know! I've got to say, I would take it with a grain of salt if someone is lambasting the product though...the Summit X's have brought back the "fun" in audio for me!! I literally haven't found such a thrill in a speaker since my first pair of Quest Z's back in 96...too long!! Performance wise, I almost can't understand how someone could buy another brand!

So since we are thru all of this - back to the sound. What did you compare the X's to and why were they better?

So since we are thru all of this - back to the sound. What did you compare the X's to and why were they better?
Well, on top of the ML's I have owned over the years, I have also owned Thiel CS6's, just ten months ago B&W802d's which I owned for a few years, and up until last Thursday night Revel Ultima Studio 2's. They were all very good speakers, however...not a single one of them approaches the ML realism of the performer(s) in your room. With the Summit X's I achieve that "spooky" effect of feeling like you could literally remove the speaker from the room because there is nothing coming from it. The music and vocal is simply "in" your room! You literally feel like you can reach out and touch it! The Thiels could define a soundstage, but with such listening fatigue they were painful. The B&W's were dynamic, but were hopeless at disappearing in the three rooms I had used them in. The Revels were an all around good product...but still fell incredibly short of the ML's "you are there" illusion!!! One thing as well that I have to whole heartedly disagree with is their inability to play rock. They have unbelievable bass in my room, one that works with anything from Diana Krall Live in Paris, to Billion Dollar Babies, to Their Satanic Majesty's Request (Stones). They shine on some of the old Roxy Music discs like nothing I have ever owned as well!! I guess until I can convince the wife that having CLX's in our living room would be an interesting conversation piece, these are it for me!!

I guess until I can convince the wife that having CLX's in our living room would be an interesting conversation piece, these are it for me!!

Has your wife heard the CLXs? If not, see if you can bring her along to an audition. Oh, and check to see if there's a Dentist nearby as well... you know, because she'll likely loosen some teeth when her jaw hits the floor after hearing that magic! ;)

Has your wife heard the CLXs? If not, see if you can bring her along to an audition. Oh, and check to see if there's a Dentist nearby as well... you know, because she'll likely loosen some teeth when her jaw hits the floor after hearing that magic! ;)

I have to agree with this statement.

Oh, someday....somehow!!! There is the will....

I think you should just sit back and enjoy your new Summits.

Set up properly, which I'm sure you will do given your experience with hi end speakers, and with hi quality gear, which you have, I can't imagine you feeling like you are missing much.

Happy listening.

GG

I think you should just sit back and enjoy your new Summits.

Set up properly, which I'm sure you will do given your experience with hi end speakers, and with hi quality gear, which you have, I can't imagine you feeling like you are missing much.

Happy listening.

GG
I agree Gordon, the new Logans arrived this afternoon. Ah, the beautiful smell of new woodwork...sure they don't sound as good as the demo's did, but that will come soon!! They are the best I've owned, and I couldn't be happier. When the dealer dropped them off and picked up the old ones...he had to state that the CLX's are indeed the top...if coupled with a sub or two, but you are VERY close, and all things considered size wise...you are there!!! James.

Rock on James!! Enjoy the break in. You gotta love it. I can smell the new electronics all the way in michigan. Keep us up to date on the changes as they break in

Integrity

As a new Summit X owner, I am very pleased to hear how Martin Logan dealt with this issue. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's how you step up to take responsibility that makes the difference.

I had a defective Descent i, and ML was also very responsive in getting me a new one quickly.

Great customer service!

Well, on top of the ML's I have owned over the years, I have also owned Thiel CS6's, just ten months ago B&W802d's which I owned for a few years, and up until last Thursday night Revel Ultima Studio 2's. They were all very good speakers, however...not a single one of them approaches the ML realism of the performer(s) in your room. With the Summit X's I achieve that "spooky" effect of feeling like you could literally remove the speaker from the room because there is nothing coming from it. The music and vocal is simply "in" your room! You literally feel like you can reach out and touch it! The Thiels could define a soundstage, but with such listening fatigue they were painful. The B&W's were dynamic, but were hopeless at disappearing in the three rooms I had used them in. The Revels were an all around good product...but still fell incredibly short of the ML's "you are there" illusion!!! One thing as well that I have to whole heartedly disagree with is their inability to play rock. They have unbelievable bass in my room, one that works with anything from Diana Krall Live in Paris, to Billion Dollar Babies, to Their Satanic Majesty's Request (Stones). They shine on some of the old Roxy Music discs like nothing I have ever owned as well!! I guess until I can convince the wife that having CLX's in our living room would be an interesting conversation piece, these are it for me!!

Kinda OT but is it just me but to me Roxy Music CD's all sound muffled and flat?...while the vinyl sounds great.

Back