Demo Summit X's sold as "new"!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachbound

Reaction score
Fair Enough!

:bowdown: I withdrew my previous post, as I feel Martin Logan has been very fair in dealing with my issue!

Last edited:
Assuming you got full warranty and there were no visible scratches, etc on the demos, I would have kept those and taken the $2K. I always like to buy demos. They are already broken in and you know they work.

$2K can buy alot of music, a new dac, etc.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

GG

Wait, are you are saying ML knowingly shipped you a demo pair as NEW, or was it an honest mistake??

Wait, are you are saying ML knowingly shipped you a demo pair as NEW, or was it an honest mistake??
I can't really say, I am happy with their offers though. They also offered the dealer a steak dinner for the inconvenience! I would like to think it was an honest mistake...but I usually know better!

Assuming you got full warranty and there were no visible scratches, etc on the demos, I would have kept those and taken the $2K. I always like to buy demos. They are already broken in and you know they work.

$2K can buy alot of music, a new dac, etc.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

GG
Well, I thought about it. Apparently these were the speakers that they used in a full demo in Vegas etc. I figure I set out to buy new speakers, I ordered new speakers...and I got used speakers! I am quite meticulous with my equipment, hence, the slight wear on the corners of the bass cabinet did bother me a bit! My wife disagreed: "take the 2k..are you nuts?"

I certainly understand your decision. I bought mine new five years ago and wanted the wood upgrade.

One would hope it was an honest mistake.

Hmmm, I just took delivery of a pair of brand new Summit X's in cherry. When the dealer dropped them off, everything looked fine. I told him I enjoy setting up my own speakers..so he was on his way! Upon opening the boxes, the first thing I stated to my wife was that these speakers had been repacked. Some of the rubber feet were not on the speaker but at the bottom of the box between the packing and the cardboard. Each speaker had been packaged slightly different from one another. Usually, when you open a new speaker you can smell the fresh woodwork...these were my 4th pair of Logans...no "new" smell!! Slight wear on the woodwork of the bass cabinet. Once up and running, after a few hours, these speakers were fully broken in!! That shouldn't happen so soon...for any speaker! They just did not appear new!! I checked the serial numbers for warranty purposes...they were manufactured FIVE MONTHS AGO!! Contacted the dealer, he found out that Martin Logan shipped me demo's they had, hoping I wouldn't notice!! Logan offered me either a 2k rebait, or $500.00 plus brand new speakers. I took the $500 and the new speakers. I now am waiting for the second pair to arrive!! Hmmm, makes you wonder! If the speakers didn't sound so unreal...the best I have EVER owned...I would be disgusted...but what can you do?

When you say $2,000 rebate, do you mean "refund?" If so, I understand your wife's reaction... :p That indeed does buy a lot of :music:

When you say $2,000 rebate, do you mean "refund?" If so, I understand your wife's reaction... :p That indeed does buy a lot of :music:
Yes, it was a refund. But as it stands, they are giving me $500 plus a brand new pair. The pair I have sound sensational...but when you set out for new speakers, pay for new speakers, and are sent used speakers...you want what you ordered. The boxes were brand new, sealed only once, so I kind of believe they were shipped as a new speaker!

Yes, it was a refund. But as it stands, they are giving me $500 plus a brand new pair. The pair I have sound sensational...but when you set out for new speakers, pay for new speakers, and are sent used speakers...you want what you ordered. The boxes were brand new, sealed only once, so I kind of believe they were shipped as a new speaker!

Oh, I understand your decision, don't get me wrong. You bought new and got used. You want new. I think the best thing to come out of this is that ML admitted the "mistake" and offered you two choices. Some of us (including me) have been getting concerned about the new ownership's commitment to customer service. While it is a pain that you have to deal with this, it is encouraging that they resolved it without hassle.

Oh, I understand your decision, don't get me wrong. You bought new and got used. You want new. I think the best thing to come out of this is that ML admitted the "mistake" and offered you two choices. Some of us (including me) have been getting concerned about the new ownership's commitment to customer service. While it is a pain that you have to deal with this, it is encouraging that they resolved it without hassle.
Yes, I think they were a little embarassed and tried to be very fair about it. I am pleased with the outcome...but I can't help but think someone new to the hobby would have accepted them, thinking they were new! Business dealings aren't what they used to be!

Honest mistake. I looked into this and apparently a new pair of Summit X that we took to CES was mixed up with our new inventory when it returned from Vegas. Here's the email from Allan (one of our kick-ass sales guys) to the dealer involved:

-----------
Hi Ed,

After digging around it appears we have uncovered a rather embarrassing scenario. It turns out, your customer is correct... the pair of Summit X in his possession spent several days earlier this year in Las Vegas at CES 2011 as part of a demo system in a partners booth.

We are unsure of how this may have happened and would like to extend our sincerest apologies to both you and the customer. MartinLogan takes pride in ensuring our customers receive an amazing experience with both our dealers and our products. It's obvious you have done your part and we dropped the ball on our end in this case.

I'd like to take care of this scenario as quickly as possible for your customer and would like to extend two options...

1. We issue a $2000 credit for the customer and they continue to enjoy the current Summit X models in their possession. Full warranty would continue to apply and we are happy to replace any missing accessories and/or manuals that may have been absent in the box. Allan buys Ed and Erika a nice steak next time he is in town.

2. We ship another pair of new, Summit X loudspeakers and issue a $500 credit to the customer as an extension of our apology. MartinLogan issues a call tag for the current Summit X in the customers home. Allan still buys Ed and Erika a nice steak next time he is in town.

Let me know which route your customer would prefer to take. Again, our sincerest apologies.

Allan

-----------------

I'm glad we got it sorted out, enjoy your NEW Summit X speakers!!!

~Justin

Looks like an isolated, honest mistake that Martin Logan made a reasonable offer to to correct. It's good to see customer service isn't completely dead out there.

Ditto!

Thanks for clarifying, Justin!

Looks like an isolated, honest mistake that Martin Logan made a reasonable offer to to correct. It's good to see customer service isn't completely dead out there.

I know in the past people have compared Maggie customer support to ML. Well I went out on their forum and low and behold there is a huge thread of beefs regarding their attitude and non existence on the forum. Their basic refusal to participate because it isn't worth their time. Peter and Justin should be applauded for going above and beyond - getting involved - and going thru the ringer for this forum. Thanks guys. We recognize it and your management should as well!!

timm,

Interesting attitude on that site. When I was perusing and posting on that site, seems as if most folks have very little or any knowledge of other planar products and very little interest in pursuing. General mantra seems to be "either you're with us or against us". And, given the opportunity, they do tend to slam ML products. I found it quite childish, which is why I stopped posting.

And the tone of the dialogue is entirely different from what one finds on this site.

Here, it seems we welcome open discussion of other products such as Maggies, Wilson, Apogees, YG's, MBL's, Sound Labs, etc. and try to learn from those discussions. As you all know, there are ML Club members who own those other products and still contribute to this site.

Just my observations.

I'm sure some on the Maggie site would have similar criticisms of the ML site.

And yes, there seems to be very little participation on the Maggie corporate side.

GG

I know in the past people have compared Maggie customer support to ML. Well I went out on their forum and low and behold there is a huge thread of beefs regarding their attitude and non existence on the forum. Their basic refusal to participate because it isn't worth their time. Peter and Justin should be applauded for going above and beyond - getting involved - and going thru the ringer for this forum. Thanks guys. We recognize it and your management should as well!!

Hola chicos...we all know that Shi* happens! right? and we are all humans that could make mistakes. But the good thing here is to accept the resposability of the error and also compensate it the best way. I am a proud owner of ML goods, and also very proud to represent a brand with outstanding guys that manage the product. All of you guys of Martin Logan my :bowdown:
with all respect!!!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Was that forum on AA? If so, just about every thread (planar or not) has a similar attitude.

I am glad to see that the new ML has found religion and shifted their recent nonresponsive attitude. This is great news for me and all ML owners.

Yes the AA forum. Check out the 'Wendel' threads

Just to at least partially echo what Gordon and others have mentioned, I must say this is one of favorite sites (one of two that relate to audio) that I frequent.

Almost all the folks here are very knowledgeable, open-minded, possess a good measure of social grace, and like to have fun. Oh, and they seem to like really, really great music and terrific electronics to support ML (and in some cases, other:eek:) speakers.

Must add a hearty "Way to Go" for ML's handling of the above situation. This and other recent events over the past couple of months have been very, very good moves by ML. Thanks to Justin and others who are working to restore ML's Good Name / Reputation with it's customers. Many thanks!

Whatever any jokers were trying, they weren't trying very hard you'll have to admit? Unless I missed something it sounds not especially malicious, but more like your garden variety head-up-backside so far.

Back