decent integrated amp for Ascent i ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzoz01

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp? I'm looking for a moderate priced (used) amp for a 2 channel system. I've used the 300i before and been fairly happy with it. Will the KAV-400xi drive the Ascent i as well as the Sunfire 400x7 I am using now?

I listened to the 400xi through some Vantages. It had no problem driving those speakers, but the Vantages have powered woofers.

I think the 400xi will have no issues with the Ascent speakers. You will find many different opinions on Krell gear.

Has anyone used the Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp? I'm looking for a moderate priced (used) amp for a 2 channel system. I've used the 300i before and been fairly happy with it. Will the KAV-400xi drive the Ascent i as well as the Sunfire 400x7 I am using now?

Jzoz, I used the 400xi to power my Aerius speakers. It could play them very loud and was in total control of the speakers. Wonderful, clear, powerful sound. It did run hot, though. The only downside to the amp, as far as I can tell, is that the heat sinking may be inadequate for very loud listening for extended periods of time, as noted in a Stereophile review. That being said, mine never broke down, shut down, or did anything untoward and I played it very loud. The Ascent i has a sensitivity 1 db greater than my Aerius, so it should play those even better. Note that the 400xi clips at a whopping 290 wpc! Having never heard the Sunfire 400x7, I can't comment or compare the 400xi against it. I do think you will love the sound the Krell and the Ascent i will put out. What other integrateds have you checked out?

I drive my Ascent I with a Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated. They can be had on the used market for around $1700. The A5 has very high current handling and has no problems with the low impedance characteristics of ML panels. The unit supports a HT bypass mode so you can use it combined in a home theater system.

I do think you will love the sound the Krell and the Ascent i will put out. What other integrateds have you checked out?

The Krell is the first integrated I have looked at. I have used the 300i and been fairly pleased. A Krell TAS hooked up to a pair of ML Odesseys was what made me first discover ML and I have wanted a pair ever since. I picked up the Ascent i's about a year ago and now am ready to start looking at amps. I'd prefer used as my budget is not huge, the 400xi seems like it can be had for $1,500 or so on audiogon. Anything else I should be looking at?

A lot of the major amplifier companies also put out some fine integrateds. Audio Research, McIntosh, Cary, Jolida, Plinius, just too many to mention. Happy hunting!

As Steve said, most (if not all) high end companies put out at least one integrated amp. I have listened to a few of them, and the integrated amps that Rotel has turned out are fairly decent, so I'd give them a shot.

Hello jz,

I have a bit of history with Ascent i, Krell 400xi, and Sunfire. If you do a search of my moniker you'll see a few threads with pertinent info.
But since I'm here - I had Magnepans that I drove with a Sunfire Stereo II amp / Quicksilver preamp. The Stereo II put out 650 watts into the 4-ohm Maggies; not sure how it compares to your Sunfire but I believe the technology is similar (i.e.: Tracking Downconverter power supply). I liked the combo a lot.
Then I got a 400xi with the Maggies. The sound was very different, and I'd say that some would prefer the Sunfire, some would prefer the Krell. I preferred the Krell. The Krell provided a lot more detail and really controlled the Maggies well.
I then switched to the Ascent i. I wasn't familiar with the ML sound, and the Krell/ML combo sounded pretty good and improved as I made changes. I pulled the Sunfire and Quicksilver out of the closet to take pictures to sell them, and hooked them up for kicks. Big difference. The Sunfire mated with the Logans much better than the Krell. I don't think it was a matter of personal preference at this point (like I believe it was with the amps and the Maggies). The Krell sounded very thin to me, and just didn't seem to work the panels like the Sunfire. I sold the Krell and kept the Sunfire / Quickie.
After a while I went shopping for another amp and stumbled onto a dealer demo Primare 75 wpc integrated ($1500 MSRP I got for $1000). I wasn’t expecting much, but it really impressed me. I do have a small room (12’ x 13’ x 9’ high), so 75 watts might not do in a larger room. I ended up buying it and the matching CD player.
So, my experience is that the 400xi is a very good amp but does not match well with the Ascent i. I believe a little searching for other integrateds would pay off.
Good luck, and hope this helps,
Mike

Plinius info

Hi jz,

Do check out Audiogon for the Plinius integrateds. Prices I've seen for the 8150, 9100, and 9200 are approximately $1,300, $2,100, and $2,300 respectively.

The 8150 is about 9 years old and was replaced by the 8200. Each model puts out 150W / channel. Same power output for the 9100. The 9200 (current production model, which retails at $4K) puts out 200W. These units can also comfortably handle the ML speaker impedance load.

Although I've never heard these units, the TAS reviews have been consistently very positive.

Given the fact that these units tend to sell quickly, I assume you can resell if you don't like this manufacturer. However, I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

Good luck.

GG

Last edited:
Back