Dealer panel Price very doubtful!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
Here in Canada we have to deal with all sorts of mark-ups based on American products and I guess this is part of our lives! However I have a good example of sheer abuse in my opinion!

I have the Quests and have changed the panels recently for 1075$ which I thought was a little steep compared to you Americans but so is our reality. I have a friend that bought a used pair like mine but knowing the panels were tired. he was quoted 1975$ by the same dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 months after mine! That is rediculous and he is floored to say the least!

Kind of strange that there is a mark-up of 90% in that short of time! I told him to cantact the dealer and use me as an example and if that does not work call Martin Logan or buy them through a friend in the States and have him ship them to you!

I thought we were in a recession!!!!!?? They should NOT be selling Martin Logan products in my opinion!

sometimes when stores get into trouble they try to screw the few good customers they have to make up the difference this is not the correct thing to do. have you heard the saying you can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once! other side of the coin is that getting panels may be a big hassle for him and you know what they say about jobs you feel will be a hassle just over bid them and if they bite the line reap the benefits either way I think using you as an example is the correct approach just be nice about it and he may come down in price.

It happens here all the time. The manufacturer/distributor model has some serious flaws, and it is the consumer who always gets screwed.

It is frustrating that there is a middle-man that does nothing and pockets a huge sum, but what is more frustrating is that companies (like ML, but of course most others as well) support and advocate this model, refusing to deal with overseas customers at all unless it is through the distributor. They actually protect and look after these greedy theives!

Now with the $AUD going down they're all using that as an excuse to put up prices! Even though prices never went down when the $AUD was strong and getting stronger.

I think Justin (User211) explained it best in another thread - it's like a peak level meter that never resets!

I believe the US cost in only $700

I believe that was the priced quoted from ML shipped to me.I would at least call ML to let them know the dealer is charging that much.I understand the dealer making some money but that is way overboard.There is nobody that can justify that markup.

let's just be fair about this one. lets say that after shipping and importation fees or whatever they have to pay to get the panels they came in about a $1000.00 bucks how much mark up would you guys put on these if it was your store?

Same dealer charging 2 totally different prices sounds like just GOUGING to me. :mad:

I'd tell the dealer the story and give him the opportunity to make it right.

Also, you could try another dealer and then pit them against each other... In this economy, he should do everything in his power to make the sale.

Dealers

Perhaps, it is just the salesman you contacted. I would definitely try someone else, even in the same store. The salesman could be mistaken, or trying to make more commission.. who knows.

If that doesn't work, I'd ask for the owner, explain what you know and ask for his help. More than likely, he'll consider the ramifications of upsetting a potential customer in his market area.

BTW, where is Canada are you located? Perhaps, as a last resort, I'd find a ship to in the States.. I could possibly help if you're in lower Ontario.

Last edited:
Actually I should have been clearer, it is the distributor and not a particular dealer..........my bad! I think that is even worse as they are the ones that distrubute for Canada as a whole I believe!? The distributor name is Plurison and is based in Montreal.

I did receive an email last night ( from Plurison) after a comparison was made and their excuse was that the Canadian dollar has decreased and that ML increased their prices but I seriously have a problem believeing that it would increase 100%!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is a serious issue and have contacted Jim Powers about this and am waiting an answer from him.

If I could be really honest, this would definately effect my next purchase if this is what is meant to be as I would not consider buying again if replacement items are marked up this high. My personal opinion is that this distributor should not be allowed to sell the product! At least we should have the option of buying directly from ML like you do!

Please do not justify these prices!

:
let's just be fair about this one. lets say that after shipping and importation fees or whatever they have to pay to get the panels they came in about a $1000.00 bucks how much mark up would you guys put on these if it was your store?

Come on Fish--be realistic.I understand sticking up for dealers or distributors,but I think you are way off base here.That price is over 275% higher than what we would pay.They are only going to Canada,not Eastern Siberia.How would you like to pay $17,000--$20,000 for your Spires? That is what you are asking this gentleman to do.I would bet that the dealers do not pay anymore than we would pay in the US.However you try to look or justify it,he is getting a raw deal.

Last edited:
When I wrote back to Plurison that was my logic as well! How can you mark up a panel so much? Obviously they should know that the Internet exists and that people do research in most cases. This site tells us that Quest panels are about 700$ U.S. He wants 1975$ Canadian...........THINK ABOUT THAT!

At 282% percent increase, CLX would cost 76140$!!!!!!!!!!!!HELLO!:eek:

:

Come on Fish--be realistic.I understand sticking up for dealers or distributors,but I think you are way off base here.That price is over 275% higher than what we would pay.They are only going to Canada,not Eastern Siberia.How would you like to pay $17,000--$20,000 for your Spires? That is what you are asking this gentleman to do.I would bet that the dealers do not pay anymore than we would pay in the US.However you try to look or justify it,he is getting a raw deal.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE ROBBERY! I was just trying to figure out what you guys thought they should charge. personally I think on these maintenance items they should go easy on you.

Well, I just received a message from Jim and he told me that due to a MAJOR price increase in replacement items and other add ons that this is correct!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! 280%!!!!!!!!!

Has anybody here received a very recent quote for Quest panels? If so please let me know!

Obviously he contacted Plurison and it sounds like ML does not want to hurt their relationship! I am stunned!

Looks like Canada will be paying 20000$ for the Spire very soon!

When the time comes, I will be buying from someone in the U.S. and have them shipped because I will NOT pay this price ever!:confused:

I'm a first time owner of MLs (Spire)....i'm curious...

how long do the panels normally last under normal conditions?
Do certain areas of the panel get dead spots over time?
how do you prevent that?

New price is $900 plus shipping

Their prices have gone up $200 within the last year.Looks like the folks at ML are trying to cash in also.Please remember that the higher the replacement parts get,the less likely people will buy used gear.At these prices why would you pay $1500-$1800 for Quests and then fork over another $1000 for panels and $400 for a pair of woofers.

Many would fork over that kind of money because they sound really good! Also you would have to go to the Spire (in my opinion) to get better. They also look great!

Obviously he contacted Plurison and it sounds like ML does not want to hurt their relationship! I am stunned!

What is it with manufacturers (not just ML) looking after these thieves??

When the time comes, I will be buying from someone in the U.S. and have them shipped because I will NOT pay this price ever!:confused:

We pay more in Australia already! I'd do exactly the same thing but for the fact that we run 240v/50Hz and ML won't ship from the US with those power supplies (again - to protect the prime thief we refer to as the distributor) Why oh why?

aside from the craziness in Canada . I would say that perhaps Martin Logan did need to raise the price to cover the cost of new panels.unless you have been living on the moon for the last year you will see that the price of everything has gone up.just remember that Martin Logan does not even have to offer new panels for old products its just cool that they do. yes the new price might hurt the bottom feeders on the used market but hey they still support all legacy products and this is awesome! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

aside from the craziness in Canada . I would say that perhaps Martin Logan did need to raise the price to cover the cost of new panels.unless you have been living on the moon for the last year you will see that the price of everything has gone up.just remember that Martin Logan does not even have to offer new panels for old products its just cool that they do. yes the new price might hurt the bottom feeders on the used market but hey they still support all legacy products and this is awesome! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

With respect, I think they do "have to offer" replacement panels. Can you imagine six or seven year old high-end speakers sitting on the junk heap or out the front of people's houses at council cleanup time because they could not be re-panelled. I think that would hurt the Martin Logan name and image quite severely.

Do you think anyone would put down $USD14,000 for a pair of Summits if they could end up un-repairable rubbish in a few short years? I don't think so.

That - and the panel side of the business is no doubt quite lucrative in its own right. I mean $USD 1,000 for some punched metal and glue? Zero R&D, zero tooling (it's already there) etc.

Last edited:
I think you really put your foot in your mouth on this one.You just stated that everyone that cannot afford or will not buy the latest model is a bottom feeder.I really do think that is a very snobbish attitude.The remark you made is a personal attack on anyone that doesn't have the current models.You should be worried about the absurd prices they are charging to replace gear,because your Spires will be discontinued in a couple of years.Heavens forbid if you would become a bottom feeder such as myself.

I don't think he meant it like that.....

Latest posts

Back