Consensus

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just joined the MLC. Have a pair of Sequell 2's since 1992. Of course the pannel and electronics were updated along the way. My amplifiers are by Sphinx. Sphinx is no longer in production. They were made by the same guys that make the Siltech cables. They match very well with the Sequells.

A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of scond hand Summits. They rare rare to find in The Netherlands second hand so I could not resist. Bass is great on the Summits but the Mid/Hi Range is not as defined as I was used to, especially when I play the music louder. On the other hand I noticed that
I tend to play the Summits much softer than the Sequells because of the stronger base. So is it a problem ? Not on sunday mornings....

Anyway, I suspect that the Sphinx project 2/12 has problems driving the Summits so it is time to look for new amplifiers. In my search I stumbled on this website. Thank you all for the great feedback. What does surprise me though is that there is no real consensus on what is the best amplifier for the Summit - or any other ML. Even the choice between SS and tubes is not clear. I see a lot off good write ups about Pass and McIntosh. Personally I always had an eye on Krell which I know will work well but I do not like the look of their latest designs. Also I was very much impressed by the white paper on amplifiers by Sanders Sound Systems but I cannot find a lot of feed back on this web site. I want to combine the summits and Sequells in a surround system when looking at DVD's and listen to the Summits in 2-channel for music. Came accross the Pathos Cinema-X which looked like a good solution but according to the Dutch dealer it is not suitable to drive the Summits. It seems I have a long way to go. Suggestions are welcome.

Robbert

I'm surpised that the Sphinx has trouble if you liked them with the Sequels (because the Summit should be an easier load, amplified bass and all) - but synergy is a funny thing, isn't it? Maybe the Summits are just more revealing of their faults?

The best amplifier is what you like. Yes, Pass and McIntosh are strongly represented on this forum. Not really sure why. Maybe that tells you something?

I personally use a Classé - very good also. And some people swear by valves so I'm equally surprised by what your dealer said about the Pathos. There's not really a substitute to getting out and listening.

I'm equally surprised by what your dealer said about the Pathos. There's not really a substitute to getting out and listening.
Give the Pathos a home audition, the dealer is just one opinion.

I use a 100 w. Golden Tube Audio SE-100, but I could have purchased one three years earlier except the dealer said it would not be a good match. He was very very wrong (I think he was saving it for a friend/other customer). I'm glad the other dealer three years later let me audition it for myself at home.

Current ML product is not always a great match with tubes. If you can't try the amplifier with your speakers, I wouldn't jump into a purchase.

The older Aerius speakers were a lot more compatible with tubes than the Summits are. One set of tube amplifiers that does work pretty well with the Summit's and should be available over there are the PrimaLuna Dialog monos.

They have a 2 ohm tap and at 70wpc will play moderately loud too.

If you want to go with tubes, make sure you can try the amp in question in your system first....

Back