Conrad Johnson 2500-a power amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbillallen

Reaction score
Has any one used or are familiar with the aforementioned amp. I have a pair of Ascent i's and i am wondering if this amp will do a good job.

Thanks,

jbillallen

Has any one used or are familiar with the aforementioned amp. I have a pair of Ascent i's and i am wondering if this amp will do a good job.

Thanks,

jbillallen

Hola...just make the connections, plug it to the mains a.c. and get the music that you like most and start to enjoy!!!....happy listening,
Roberto.

I am not familiar with this particular product, but I am a firm believer in Conrad Johnson's products, both tube and solid-state. The build quality is impeccable, the sound is very neutral, and I would imagine that it will sound great on your Ascent i's. But only you can determine if it produces the type of sound that you enjoy. The synergy in every system is different and every person has different tastes, so audition it if you can before you purchase.

never heard of the 2500 ??? i was aware of a model 2300 SS amp that CJ produced some ten years ago. Hopefully Mr. "Z" can jump in here, he's our resident CJ man.

The 2500 is a relatively recent solid state amp that puts out 240 watts per channel.

Soundstage did a review of it in '99 and their conclusion was summed up as follows: "Superb bass extension with very good definition and treble that avoids typical solid-state nasties; its defining characteristic is its ability to re-create music being made by real people in real space. A powerful and fine-sounding solid-state amp by one of the royal makers of audio electronics is a good value indeed."

Do a Google search on this amp and you will get lots of information. It will have no problem driving Ascent i's and should sound great. But as I said before, only an audition can tell you if that is the sound you are looking for.

I have heard this amp but not on MLs. Frankly I have NEVER heard a cj product I didn't like, and I have heard most all of them and have owned 3 cj preamps over the years.

jbillallen,

Well I guess I better jump in here. Yes I do own the CJ 2500A. It is a great sounding amp and yes it is very neutral. It has plenty of punch and does drive my CLSiiZ's with ease. Never really gets warm at all and I leave it on all the time. I guess neutral is not the best way to describe an amp but as far as solid state amps I would say it is "tube-like" in its sound. If you can really say that about an amp this would be it. It is realistic and musical to my ears. I had a Rotel before and even though it had more power, this CJ was a noticeable difference and smoother throughout. I am not saying the Rotel was bad amp at all because it is not but the CJ is definite a step up.

Driving the Ascent i should be no problem at all. If you can I would try one if possible I would take that opportunity. The other issue here with the CJ 2500A was recently discontinued a few months ago so you may be able to get a great price on one.

If I can be any more help let me know.

Jeff:cool:

Back