Connecting to wall outlets...is this right?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just reconnected the AC cords in my theater room. I have 4 AC wall outlets. My Power Conditioner (Panamax) has 2 "high current" outlets (aka not limiting current output to equipment). (My power conditioner has other outlets on it, but they are not the high current ones.)

So, i have connected to my wall AC outlets these: Power Conditioner, Sunfire 7401 amp, and my 2 Vantages.

To my 2 high current outlets on my Power Conditioner, i have connected my Subwoofer (depth i) and my center channel (Stage).

Is this the right way? I figured that the Sunfire is power hungry and thus need its own wall outlet, along with my two Vantages. The center channel and subwoofer are of less importance, so they are relegated to the "high current" outlets on my Power Conditioner. I know that CC is very important in movies, but i also listen to music (2-channel) so i think that my Vantages are more important in that regard.

Is my logic sound or flawed??

Thanks in advance.

Are your four wall outlets on individual circuits or all on the same circuit breaker? This will determine what your actual current available is to each or all combined. Unless replaced the standard outlet is only capable of handling 15 amps. That doesn't mean 15 amps are available, only that they can handle that kind of current. The circuit breaker will determine what current is available to the number of outlets it is hooked to.

Once that determination is made, you hook your power conditioner to one of the outlets. Then the power conditioner can only supply the current given to it and in turn supply to everything hooked to it.

Well, it looks like it is all on the same breaker...15 amps. Oh well, i guess that it is not all that important then.

Personally I would hook you amp to the high current connection and your ML to the other two. This gives clean regulated power to critical pieces. Your sub and center can plug into the wall.

Personally I would hook you amp to the high current connection and your ML to the other two. This gives clean regulated power to critical pieces. Your sub and center can plug into the wall.

Good points.

I have connected to the wall outlets: Power Conditioner, Sunfire amp, Denon AVR

Power Conditioner High Current outlets (2): Vantages

My center channel and subwoofer are connected to one of the regular outlets on my Power Conditioner.

My installer told me that the Sunfire amp needs to be connected to the wall outlet...not sure if this is true or not.

Last edited:
Good points.

My installer told me that the Sunfire amp needs to be connected to the wall outlet...not sure if this is true or not.

Yes, that's correct!
In general big power amps with new-style power supplies,like the Carver/Sunfires are much happier without power conditioners, UPSs and the like between them and the AC power.

These power supplies only draw current for a very small fraction of each AC power line cycle, but it's lots of current and the power conditioner acts as a series resistor limiting current. The current pulses have a large high frequency component and the power conditioner is a high frequency filter.

Yes, that's correct!
In general big power amps with new-style power supplies,like the Carver/Sunfires are much happier without power conditioners, UPSs and the like between them and the AC power.

These power supplies only draw current for a very small fraction of each AC power line cycle, but it's lots of current and the power conditioner acts as a series resistor limiting current. The current pulses have a large high frequency component and the power conditioner is a high frequency filter.

Cool...now i understand. Do you think that my connections as described above are correct??

If your wall outlet has a dual receptacle, I would plug the power conditioner into one receptacle and the amplifier(s) into the other receptacle.

The less AC power wiring and Safety Ground wiring between units, the better.

My .02.
Probaby need to know the current capability of the conditioner.
The current requirements of the amps (incl sub).

I dont know how the Panamax rates as a conditioner and some critics feel that lower level conditioners can degrade the signal.

What is generally acknowlwdged is that all (crit component) power should be coming from the SAME power outlet. Mainly for the "star" earth effect, and (to a lesser degree) phase allignment. (All components seeing the identical earth point and not via another fuse board route).
Also..."quality" of the earth connection will have a great effect on extraneous noise removal.

(This is a point that may cause some contention, but it is the basis of most of the "Hydra" type power cabling systems and high end splitter boxes... which DO work).

I would go with either ALL 'on' the conditioner (or a better/ bigger conditioner if necessary) or ALL 'on' the one wall receptacle (if possible)

Pointless conditioning (for filter effect) on sub and ML and leaving Amps (where noise is being multiplied) with raw power.
If you need a conditioner for Voltage protection (swings and surge) then all components should have it (esp your most valuable).
Some good power cabling from a single point source will most likely give you a significantly better sound than spagetti sourcing your power.

It's an easy "try" to see which sounds best..worth the time to have a play. :music: regards, Greg

Last edited:
Greg, thanks for the input. Well, as noted above, my installer highly recommends the Sunfire to be connected to the wall outlet.

Here is my power conditioner specs: http://www.panamax.com/pdf/Datasheets/M5100EX_L548B.pdf

Decent power conditioner??

I guess that i can connect my sub (Depth i) and Sunfire amp to the 2 "high current" outlets, which supposedly does not choke the current output.

My Vantages & Stage will be connected to the other outlets on the Conditioner. My only concern is the Vantages and the internal amp (B&O class D)...will my Conditioner choke power going to these class-D amps?? Do class D amps need a lot of power?????

What to do with my Denon AVR? It no longer needs to amplify since i have the Sunfire...it is only needed for processing and act as a pre-amp. That should not need much power, right? I am connecting that to the other outlets on the conditioner as well.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:
anyone can answer my Q's above?

TIA!

A Class "D" amplifier does not need a power conditioner. Think about how it makes it's audio signal. If anything it generates power line noise!

Plug any and all Carver/Sunfire amps and the Class "D" amps into the wall.

If the Denon AVR has no speakers attached then plug it and your other equipment into the power conditioner.

My .02.
I would go with either ALL 'on' the conditioner (or a better/ bigger conditioner if necessary) or ALL 'on' the one wall receptacle (if possible)

Pointless conditioning (for filter effect) on sub and ML and leaving Amps (where noise is being multiplied) with raw power.
If you need a conditioner for Voltage protection (swings and surge) then all components should have it (esp your most valuable).
Some good power cabling from a single point source will most likely give you a significantly better sound than spagetti sourcing your power.

It's an easy "try" to see which sounds best..worth the time to have a play. :music: regards, Greg

Thai,

I also agree with what Greg has to say. Connecting all the individual 120V and ground cables anywhere that is convenient is not the way to go. They really should be connected to a central system and then that system should be the only 120V and ground plugged into the wall for the entire system. I don’t know how feasible this is for anyone, but it is what was recommended.

There is more to this than just deciding what to connect to the surge protector and what to plug into an unprotected wall outlet. Here's what I learned by taking to a tech. By connecting some of your equipment to the surge protector and some directly to the wall outlets, not only are you not protecting the equipment to the wall outlets but you are limiting the protection to the equipment that is also connected to the surge protector! If you add surge protection to those other wall outlets you are creating the chance for alternate surge loops (surges through the interconnect cables between equipment) or ground loops.

A surge or spike in a good protector will be suppressed and stopped at the protector. However if you get a surge in the wall outlet without a surge protector, it can travel through the equipment connected there, thru the units line level cables and back through the equipment that is connected to the protector "through the backdoor". I hope you follow what I mean.

I admit that I had some less expensive surge protectors at one time. Each one ran about $150 and they were the smaller 6 outlet Panamax protectors. Somehow a freak lightening storm blew right through one of those protectors and damaged my preamp (among a few other things in that corner of the house). Since the preamp did not work, I decided to call Panamax to file a claim. They analyzed the surge protector and offered to upgrade me to a much better unit which is what I am using today. Although I do not think this is the best I can do, it is what I have for the time being, the Panamax M5300-EX.

I got into a lengthy discussion with one of Panamax’s techs out there and they had a lot to say about the proper way to use surge protection. I don't want to get into the details to deep, you really should speak to them, but I will say that they strongly suggest that all equipment, including grounds, cable, Ethernet and anything else servicing your equipment everywhere should, no must, be connected to one main protector in order to avoid ground loops, hum, and unprotected branches which could affect equipment that is connected to the protector. Even as much as one lone cable not connected to a surge protector can be a potential path for a surge to damage other equipment. Long story short, if a wall outlet sees a damaging surge, not only will that equipment potentially be damaged but the potential for other equipment getting damaged through the line level signals between the wall outlet equipment and the protected equipment can get damaged as well "through the backdoor".

One other thing, Panamax also offers surge protectors specifically for sub-woofers. Whether specific protectors are necessary or not they recommend connecting those (the 120V) to the main surge protector, not to the wall outlet.

My concern for all this is what we should do when we get to the limit of the current of the service. I’m using a 20 amp circuit. My amps and ML ReQuests are located in another room 30 feet away from the Panamax. When there’s a storm, I unplug everything from that room because they are plugged directly into the wall, no surge protector. I just can’t see two heavy duty 30’ extensions running through the house! I suppose a whole house system would be a wise choice or at least a surge protection connected to the branch(es) servicing the equipment.

Seeing that your Power Conditioner is a Panamax M5100-EX (I have a M-5300-EX), I would call Panamax and ask them for advice. Their number is 800 472-5555, they are located on the west coast in California.

Sam

Sam, thank you so much for passing along the info!! Much appreciated. Even before reading your post this evening, i have decided to connect everything to my Panamax. My subwoofer (depth i) and Sunfire amp are connected to the "high-current" outlets, while the others connect to the other regular outlets on the Panamax.

I understand that Panamax may not be the ultra-best choice for my Sunfire (and maybe my other stuff), but i also want protection for my equipment, which at this point is more important than ultimate sound. (My budget right now is tight since i recently got the Sunfire...so, i don't plan on upgrading my power conditioner either.)

Again, i cannot tell you guys how much i appreciate the wise advice. Thank you.

Back