Computer Speakers - wutchyagot?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago there was a guy at work who had a pair of very small electrostats that he got from some place like WalMart. They were cheap too. I have no clue whom they were made by.

They're AMT ribbon hybrids. Probably $2750 by now new. Is that cheap? Follow the link and you'll see someone who rates them better than ML Aerius.

Last edited:
I use a M-Audio 192 sound card (coax) > Outlaw 970 > Emotiva XPA-2 > ML Preface.

sounds as good as any other PC speakers Ive heard.

You need glasses, Todd. It's nail varnish. And what's more - it isn't mine! Surprise, surprise...

BTW: actually read the M&D review. Then get some:)

British nail polish looks uncannily similar to American batteries. BTW, I already wear glasses, have done since the 2nd grade, except now they are tri-prescription gradients... uhg.

So was I right about the speaker stands at least?

I have a pair Focal sib satellite speakers with the cub 2 subwoofer. Providing the power is a Bel Canto S300i integrated amplifier while the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 does the conversion from USB to BNC. While the sound is nowhere near my Summit X/Krell set up, it's not bad!

They're AMT ribbon hybrids. Probably $2750 by now new. Is that cheap? Follow the link and you'll see someone who rates them better than ML Aerius.
The ones I saw were a couple of hundred dollars IIRC.

Follow the link ? What link ?

I have a pair Focal sib satellite speakers with the cub 2 subwoofer. Providing the power is a Bel Canto S300i integrated amplifier while the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 does the conversion from USB to BNC. While the sound is nowhere near my Summit X/Krell set up, it's not bad!

I remember when I had used my Summits for my computer, those were the days. :music:

I think I still have a pic of them somewhere.

Simple little desktop system.. MacMini feeding a NuForce uDac into a Boston Horizon Duo Tabletop Music system & a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 headphones.

Attachments

• mvDesktopSys.JPG
    mvDesktopSys.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 129
My current setup uses planars (of course).

I have an original unmodified set of Monsoon MM-1000 planar-magnetic speakers.

However, I also have plans :devil: :

I purchased a set of Tymphany LAT 250 Line-array bass transducers (extra points for knowing what these are, unless you're WardsWeb, he's major into DIY ;) )
I'll be using those as the mid-bass drivers in a bi-amped setup with the Monsoon satellites.

The plan is to feed I2S clocked digital audio from an M-Audio Audiophile board into a MiniDSP box implementing crossovers (2x5) and basic EQ. From there I'll use a DIY 4x100w amp to bi-amp the Monsoon planars and the LAT bass section for everything from 80Hz on up.

For the Sub, I'll be building a custom dual-10" sub using various components from parts-express. Still haven't finalized what yet.

On top of all that, I'll run an Audyssey room correction (as a plug-in to my FooBar2000 playback setup) courtesy of ARC VST plug-in.

So, an all-digital path, DSP managed active x-over, bi-amped, Line-Array / planar with kick-a$$ sub seems about the right 'computer speaker' for a dude like me :cool:

My current setup uses planars (of course).

I have an original unmodified set of Monsoon MM-1000 planar-magnetic speakers.

However, I also have plans :devil: :

I purchased a set of Tymphany LAT 250 Line-array bass transducers (extra points for knowing what these are, unless you're WardsWeb, he's major into DIY ;) )
I'll be using those as the mid-bass drivers in a bi-amped setup with the Monsoon satellites.

The plan is to feed I2S clocked digital audio from an M-Audio Audiophile board into a MiniDSP box implementing crossovers (2x5) and basic EQ. From there I'll use a DIY 4x100w amp to bi-amp the Monsoon planars and the LAT bass section for everything from 80Hz on up.

For the Sub, I'll be building a custom dual-10" sub using various components from parts-express. Still haven't finalized what yet.

On top of all that, I'll run an Audyssey room correction (as a plug-in to my FooBar2000 playback setup) courtesy of ARC VST plug-in.

So, an all-digital path, DSP managed active x-over, bi-amped, Line-Array / planar with kick-a$$ sub seems about the right 'computer speaker' for a dude like me :cool:

I have a pair of Monsoons as well kicking around here somewhere. Cool little air movers. I :bowdown: to your ambition.

For the computer room, I use Logitech's Z-2300 THX Certified 2.1 setup, which sounds surprisingly goond. However, with the HTPC in the living room, I have the benefit of using all of my ML's should I choose. :music:

The HTPC is in a case that looks like a piece of audio equipment on the very bottom of the rack.
ascent.jpg

Back