Coffee Makers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As any home barrista knows, making great coffee can be a messy endeavor. My wife is tired of finding coffee grinds throughout the kitchen. We have a machine at work and I tend to use that on more than my home unit. You are correct that this is a great prosumer machine.

I use the grinder by Pasquini. The one that grinds the beans directly into the portafilter. No mess that way. It run about $500 plus. Not quite sure of the price now. Check your pm. I might have a buyer for your machine.

Wow, that Pasquini is quite the grinder. Put the Nordost power cord on my Capresso, get the Pasquini grinder... oh my, I'll be java nirvana.:meditate:

Wow, that Pasquini is quite the grinder. Put the Nordost power cord on my Capresso, get the Pasquini grinder... oh my, I'll be java nirvana.:meditate:

It is a mill grinder. Runs at a slower speed, so as not to burn the beans. Typical inexpensive grinders are blade grinders. Mill grinders start at about $50 and up.

Last edited:
I have an AllClad "Presso" espresso press for making the strong stuff. It makes an astoundingly smooth and strong cup of espresso. Of course, it's a manual press, and therefore, you have to actually use your hands to use it, and it has a slight "learning curve"--pull the levers down too fast and you squirt liquid out the sides, bring them down too slowly, and the coffee looses some of it's "punch", but it's well worth it, IMO...

presso_.jpg

For a regular cup of joe, there are only two ways to do it. Forget ANYTHING that plugs into the wall.

If you want the smoothest coffee you've ever had, with an espresso-like caffeine level, cold-infusion is the only way to go. You just fill a container with cool water, dump an appropriate amount of ground coffee into it (usually about 125%-150% what you'd use for the same amount of water in an electric coffee maker) put a lid on it, and let it sit overnight. Then you strain the grounds out the next day, and heat the liquid in a pan or percolator, or for a REAL treat, use it to make a FANTASTIC jug of iced coffee. You can use a french press for this, but I've actually had better results with a big bowl, and then strain it with a funnel and one of those reusable gold-screened coffee filters.

If you don't have the time (or the desire to be that involved with your joe-juice) then a French Press kicks the butt of ANYTHING that plugs into a wall, as far as smoothness goes. In less time than an electric machine takes to make a batch of coffee, a French Press will turn out a velvety-smooth, mildly acidic batch, and the "press" part keeps all the grounds out without having to mess with disposable filters. Plus, since the entire device is re-usable, it's a VERY "green" way to make coffee, because the only energy used is to boil the water you pour into the press. I have several french presses, ranging from a small 2-cup press I use when camping, to a big 12-cup press I use when we have guests at home.

frenchpress.jpg

And of course, traditional Ethiopian coffee (Bunna) is a real treat too, and is equally low-tech. It's a boiled style (sort of like traditional Turkish coffee), where water is brought to a near boil in a large ceramic pot, then the finely ground coffee (which was freshly roasted and ground, right before) is dumped into the water, and steeped for a time. Talk about a cup of coffee with a unique taste, aroma, and jolt! Woof. My favorite part of going to the Ethiopian restaurants in the DC area was on Sunday afternoons they had Bunna ceremony. The whole place smelled like roasting coffee beans, and the little cups at the end of the meal were always the perfect ending to an already fantastic meal...

Coffee.jpg

http://www.epicurean.com/articles/ethiopian-coffee-ceremony.html

What it really all boils down to is that if you are spending more than about $100 on a coffee-making device, you are paying for convenience, gee-whiz "features", and "bragging rights", NOT a better-quality cup. The BEST coffee and espresso come from ancient, low-tech, hands-on approaches, and require an amount of special knowledge, timing, and intimate knowledge of the ingredients.

Coffee, like ANYTHING worth doing, requires active involvement if you're going to get that extra 5%. You can throw all the money in the world at the process, and get a pretty good result, but if you want to achieve "nirvana", you gotta spend some time, and get your hands dirty...

Last edited:
Dreamer,

Thanks for the tips on java brewing devices. :) Very detailed and thought out.

I've always pondered getting a French Press. However, I have 2 school boys and a wife. The mornings around my house can be a little on the hectic side, and I don't have time to mess with da press. I need a great coffee maker I can set the timer on before I go to bed, and awake to a great cup o' joe.

In my research I came across the Technivorm. They're hand made in Holland. Does anyone have any experience with them?

cd-thermo.jpg

I've always pondered getting a French Press. However, I have 2 school boys and a wife. The mornings around my house can be a little on the hectic side, and I don't have time to mess with da press. I need a great coffee maker I can set the timer on before I go to bed, and awake to a great cup o' joe.

There is no messing with the plungers - just boil water and tip it into the pot with coffee and stir. Then, after about a minute or so (to your taste), press down slowly and you're done.

Cleaning up need be nothing more than rinsing under hot water.

The key to a good coffee from one of those is the press action - slowly and smoothly is essential, but you'll work out what works for you if you get one. It is certainly no substitute for espresso - not even close - but as Dreamer said, very smooth and perfectly drinkable.

I spent a month in the States last year, and had a wonderful time and met so many lovely people including our forum leader Tom and his partner Kerry.

But, I apologise for what I am about to say, but I have to get it off my chest.

Guys: coffee in the states is crap. I'm sorry but black sludge sitting in the botton of a percolating machine is not coffee.

Apart from a couple of cafes in San Francisco and New york. I could not find anywhere that made a decent coffee. My wife and I sought out Starbucks, mainly because at least it was vaguely drinkable. At home - we would avoid starbucks like the plague - many superior non chain cafes to chose from

OK: now that I have alienated most of the readership on this forum....

At home I have invested in a beatiful italian machine called an Isomac Zaffiro. I also grind my beans using an isomac granmachino grinder. Took a while to learn how to use these machines properly but ahh the investment has paid off.

Oh by the way, we may be headed back to the states this year, I might have to pack these machines in the luggage.

Attachments

• zaffiro_square.jpg
    zaffiro_square.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 157
  • granmacininoLL.jpg
    granmacininoLL.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Guys: coffee in the states is crap. I'm sorry but black sludge sitting in the botton of a percolating machine is not coffee.

I was thinking it - you said it! But don't take too much offence - coffee in France was pretty horrid too. And in the UK.

Still - it seems there are certainly a few of our stateside friends that seem to enjoy what we would call good coffee.

I have a problem when I drink coffee - I can't have it alone - I always love something bad to go with it - chocolate, cake, muffin, pie - anything. My local café ran out of muffins the other day so I went to Gloria Jenas since they had some really nice looking lemon tarts (and it was NICE).....but the coffee? Yuk.

Hey, I'm man enough to admit it. You are right. Very few places in the states produce a really fine cup of coffee.

At home I have invested in a beatiful italian machine called an Isomac Zaffiro.
I did a double-take as the Isomac looks nearly identical to my Quickmill Alexia (post #12). Turns out, they're very close cousins.

So how does it work? How does it connect?

I have done temp measurements with my Nuova Simonelli and I must say that after three shots it is still spot on 96C.......allowing for a few degrees of drop through the shower / grouphead I'd say I'm getting the ideal 93-94C at the grinds.
If you're getting consistent temps, you may not need a PID. See here for temp surfing discussion for HX (heat exchanger) machines in general, here for discussion specific to your model and here for a discussion of PID installation (or not) on HX machines.

If you're getting consistent temps, you may not need a PID. See here for temp surfing discussion for HX (heat exchanger) machines in general, here for discussion specific to your model and here for a discussion of PID installation (or not) on HX machines.

WOW - thanks for that - give me a few days to read and re-read it. As I said in my initial post (post #4), maybe I should just go out and get a commercial dual-boiler machine.

Coffee is like high-end audio - I could spend forever chasing that last .06% of an improvement!!

But, I apologise for what I am about to say, but I have to get it off my chest.

You'll get no arguments from me on that statement. You can probably count the restaurants in the US that can make a decent cup of java on 3 hands, and ANY of the "chain" coffee joints like Starbucks or Daily Grind are little more than glorified (and RADICALLY overprices) diners. The fact that most of the "baristas" at these types of places are snotty, illiterate, brain-dead Gen-Xers doesn't help. To make a good cup, you need to actually have a fundamental grasp of things like temperature gradients, ground density, and you need a refined palette to taste the final product. I have yet to meet a Starbucks employee who could discuss coffee with any sort of intelligence--the old guys who used to work grinding coffee in A&P Grocery stores "back in the day" knew more about coffee than most of these schmucks...

The best "commercial" cup of coffee, espresso, or cappuccino I've ever had are made at a little independent coffeehouse in Shepherdstown, West Virginia called "The Lost Dog Coffee". Their owner is insane (as in Randall Graham of Bonny Doon Vineyards sort of insane), and it's a college town, so the kids behind the counter are actually literate (which is more than you can say for most "chains"..). The don't have a website that I know of. But they hang a lot of art from th elocal college students, play REALLY up-to-date music, and their biscotti are astounding. They also make the best Chai Latte I've ever had...

--Richard

I hope everyone took my little comment about coffee in the States as a good natured prod.

But it was interesting to hear all the stuff about temperature stability. I never really have put much thought into it.

Basically, I just leave the machine on for 30 mins run some water to flush the group head - and that seems enough.

The main variable for me is getting grind and tamping pressure right. I find - age of beans, temperature of day, level of humidity all seem to have an effect. It has taken a while to get things right - I still mess up about 1 in 3 esspresso pours.

But still all these variables is part of the fun of the hobby - just like HI FI.

Also, amey, just following up from your thoughts to get a commercial machine, I was talking to a guy from dibella about that. The said that he does not recommend getting a commercial mahine machine for home use - basically these mahines are desgned to be used hundreds of times a day. If they are under used as the would be in a domestic environment , you can run into problems.

He said semi pro machines like you and i have are best and are designed for domestic use.

To be honest when I get my pour right, I have never found a coffee shop esspresso that was better.

Last edited:
Also, amey, just following up from your thoughts to get a commercial machine, I was talking to a guy from dibella about that. The said that he does not recommend getting a commercial mahine machine for home use - basically these mahines are desgned to be used hundreds of times a day. If they are under used as the would be in a domestic environment , you can run into problems.

He said semi pro machines like you and i have are best and are designed for domestic use.

To be honest when I get my pour right, I have never found a coffee shop esspresso that was better.

Letting the machine warm up and then flushing the group head and PF is all I do too. As above - I've done measurements and I find I get pretty even temperature so I'm not too concerned. I'm pretty happy with my grind and tamp procedure and find I only mess up when making coffee in the evening (after drinking!). I also find my coffee beats any café any day - but I can't decide if it is just me making it to my liking or if it really is better.

I wonder what sort of problems commercial machines can run into? I still want one - if for nothing more than appearance - It makes me look like I DOMINATE my coffee!

By the way - where do you enjoy your coffee in Brisbane city? I enjoy Java Cafe (George St) and Bar Mondo in Adelaide St (Down the other end).

If in the city, I would also head for java coast, mainly as I work at BCC and it is a popular place for lunch out the back in the garden.

Also I tend to go to one of the Merlo cafe's as they tend to be reliably ok.

I avoid any gloria jeans, coffee club or starbucks like the plague.

To be honest coffee in the city is pretty ordinary - catering mainly for the office takeaway crowd.

For better coffee I tend to head for any of the cafe's in paddington or along james street.

Actually the best coffee in brisvegas is the HQ of Dibella in Bowen Hills. - I go there once a fortnight to buy my beans.

Last edited:
If in the city, I would also head for java coast, mainly as I work at BCC and it is a popular place for lunch out the back in the garden.

Also I tend to go to one of the Merlo cafe's as they tend to be reliably ok.

I avoid any gloria jeans, coffee club or starbucks like the plague.

To be honest coffee in the city is pretty ordinary - catering mainly for the office takeaway crowd.

For better coffee I tend to head for any of the cafe's in paddington or along james street.

Actually the best coffee in brisvegas is the HQ of Dibella in Bowen Hills. - I go there once a fortnight to buy my beans.

.....and a lovely garden it is out the back of Java Cafe!! Love it so much! Speaking of DiBella coffee, there's also a reasonable place on the corner of Albert and Margaret St - no Java Coast, but reasonalbe all the same (and as I hinted, they serve DiBella).

I too, avoid any chain like the plague - I was reminded of why just the other day [see post #29].....but there's a Coffee Club in your building in a prime spot!! Shame about that - what a waste [although the Shingle Inn cakes are just devine]. How's the coffee in the foyer - haven't tried it.

Unfortunately, (well - fortunately really) I live on the Gold Coast so getting to Bowen Hills on the weekend is a bit much. I might walk down to Paddington one day when I decide to have a long lunch.......

Last edited:
The coffee in the foyer is dull, i get my take away coffee normally at the sandwich place just outside - serves dibella of course

by the way where did you get your machine?

Latest posts

Back