Coffee Makers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboman

Reaction score
I have the Capresso MT500 coffee maker and the KitchenAid Pro grinder. They produce a mighty fine cup o' joe. However, I'm wondering if there's something better that would take my coffee enjoyment to another level. Any suggestions from fellow coffee lovers?
57.gif

I will await the responses, as I have a Bunn and am not entirely satisfied with the results, although it is a quick coffee maker.

Doug - out

Actually, my coffee maker is in the basement as I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee.
I use a Brevelle Cafe Roma espresso maker and do my coffee's individually as an extra long espresso. No going back! Absolutely fantastic! (and when I have guests, they also think so)

Rancilio Silvia is the gold standard for a real cuppa from a consumer machine. It has all the things you need such as a non-pressurised portafilter, brass PF holder for even temperature control, commercial size group and showers, brass boiler (no thermoblock) and powerful steam wand.

I personally have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar Professional which I feel is just as good and can probably be had for about the same cost. It is my Sunday morning hobby before listening. (and Saturday too).

Essentially anything with a non-pressurised PF and real boiler is what you need. A volumetric pump would be nice, but hey, you can't have everything!

But what I'd do if I was in the market now? Look on eBay for a real commercial machine that has been taken out of a café. Cafés close down all the time and they can be just as cheap (or cheaper) than buying a new consumer machine. Nothing (that's NOTHING) beats the real thing!

Attachments

• silvia.jpg
    silvia.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 186
  • ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I have the Capresso MT500 coffee maker and the KitchenAid Pro grinder. They produce a mighty fine cup o' joe. However, I'm wondering if there's something better that would take my coffee enjoyment to another level. Any suggestions from fellow coffee lovers?
57.gif

Obviously, replacing the Capresso's power cord with a length of Nordost Odin will take your coffee enjoyment to new level! :D

Rancilio Silvia is the gold standard for a real cuppa from a consumer machine. It has all the things you need such as a non-pressurised portafilter, brass PF holder for even temperature control, commercial size group and showers, brass boiler (no thermoblock) and powerful steam wand.

I personally have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar Professional which I feel is just as good and can probably be had for about the same cost. It is my Sunday morning hobby before listening. (and Saturday too).

Wow! That looks like one serious machine.:cool:

To quote Harvey Keitel in Life On Mars, "bring me a coffee. Make it an Irish coffee...heavy on the Irish."

Thanks a lot guys, now I want a new coffee machine. Maybe Rich will sell me his old espresso cord and I could try it out on my Dollar Store coffee maker. :D

Satch

How about a top of the line Livia Unit?

I had this unit on Craig's List, but got nothing but low ball bids. The Pasquini Livia 90 Auto is the Martin-Logan of Espresso/Cappucino machines, the unit alone retails for $1,975 on most internet sites. I have all the accessories here for $995 + shipping in its original box.

Extras Include:
Extra Large Filter Basket
Professional Froth Tip
Pasquini Heavyweight Tamper
Cleaner
Measured Shot Glasses
Timer
Will need to check to see if I still have the cup set, they may have sold at a yard sale

Attachments

• Livia90.jpg
    Livia90.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 169
I had this unit on Craig's List, but got nothing but low ball bids. The Pasquini Livia 90 Auto is the Martin-Logan of Espresso/Cappucino machines, the unit alone retails for $1,975 on most internet sites. I have all the accessories here for $995 + shipping in its original box.

Extras Include:
Extra Large Filter Basket
Professional Froth Tip
Pasquini Heavyweight Tamper
Cleaner
Measured Shot Glasses
Timer
Will need to check to see if I still have the cup set, they may have sold at a yard sale

I also have the same machine, the Livia 90 manual, not the semi automatic. Why are you selling this wonderful machine?

Last edited:
Consider putting a PID (precise, electronic temp control) on it. Boiler temp is controlled within one degree, taking one of the variables out of the equation. Unless you're timing your boiler cycle, you'll immediately get better espresso, I assure you.

I use a Quickmill Alexia along with a Rancilio Rocky doser.

jud5he.jpg

PID is the digital display, lower left.

Consider putting a PID (precise, electronic temp control) on it. Boiler temp is controlled within one degree, taking one of the variables out of the equation. Unless you're timing your boiler cycle, you'll immediately get better espresso, I assure you.

I use a Quickmill Alexia along with a Rancilio Rocky doser.

jud5he.jpg

That is a beautiful machine also. It is nice to see machines that are not made of plastic. So many new machines are around $2000 and made with cheap plastic housings.

I guess this technically isn't coffee - but has anyone tried the Keurig?

http://www.keurig.com/

My folks have one and they love it. We also have a few at different offices where I work.

Erik

Why would you say it isn't coffee? It's purely coffee one cup at a time. We have the top of the line (Gourmet...Costco $120) and it's great to be able to have a variety of different coffees in a given day. It also takes ANY coffee we want to use, as well as the 40 or so varieties they sell.

Last edited:
Why would you say it isn't coffee? It's purely coffee one cup at a time. We have the top of the line (Gourmet...Costco $120) and it's great to be able to have a variety of different coffees in a given day. It also takes ANY coffee we want to use, as well as the 40 or so varieties they sell.

Along those lines, I've got one of these Nespresso D-90's. I'm sure it might make some of the folks that own the machines above cringe, but I'll tell you what, it makes a great cup of espresso in just a few minutes and the crema due to the 30 bar pump makes it all the more special. I like it so much I'm thinking about getting another for my office.

Attachments

• n_ess_d90_1_xl1.jpg
    n_ess_d90_1_xl1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 162
I've had a Jura Impressa F7 for about 7 years and it's been making great espresso every day. Between my wife and I we drink at least 5 coffees every day.

I have been semi-seriously thinking about upgrading and have considered the Jura flagship, the Z5.

Attachments

• z5_-_large.jpg
    z5_-_large.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 230

Well I didn't want to upset any of the coffee purists that like to grind up the beans...I believe the Keurig stuff is a pre-packaged container (the single 'shots') of coffee. I do like how you can make one cup at a time. I also really like the array of flavors.

Erik

I also have the same machine. Why are you selling this wonderful machine?

As any home barrista knows, making great coffee can be a messy endeavor. My wife is tired of finding coffee grinds throughout the kitchen. We have a machine at work and I tend to use that on more than my home unit. You are correct that this is a great prosumer machine.

As any home barrista knows, making great coffee can be a messy endeavor. My wife is tired of finding coffee grinds throughout the kitchen. We have a machine at work and I tend to use that on more than my home unit. You are correct that this is a great prosumer machine.

So who's going to snap it up - great machine at an even better price!!

So how does it work? How does it connect?

I have done temp measurements with my Nuova Simonelli and I must say that after three shots it is still spot on 96C.......allowing for a few degrees of drop through the shower / grouphead I'd say I'm getting the ideal 93-94C at the grinds.

Back