CLX's Ordered!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
This is by way of thanking numerous MLC members for their input as I considered upgrading my ML system. It was most encouraging to know that my listening room was not too small to house the CLX's. I was originally considering a Summit X move (from original Summits). However, it did not seem that this would have been a big enough upgrade to warrant the cost.
There is always a risk in putting something in your home that cannot be auditioned in similar surroundings with the same equipment and sources. I have read a number of excellent subjective reviews (both online and in audio journals) to get a good idea about strengths and weaknesses of the CLX's. I already have a pair of Descent-i's so the low bass will not be a problem.
Once they are in, I will be happy to post my impressions as well as attach photos of my system. Expect arrival to be some time in mid-May.

Coongrarulaions!

Which model did you order, if I may ask?
Gregadd?

CLX Model

I ordered the standard air frame in black ash. Did not feel the art frame added significant sound benefits and made the speaker way too heavy to move. I also did not order the "deluxe" power cords. I already have good after-market cords.

Hello,
Major congratulations. I am honestly thinking about selling my Vantages/Vista/Stage/Montages and put the proceeds towards the CLX. It would be a major change going from multichannel to two channel, but sure would be fun.

What made you decide Black Ash? Given the seemingly limitless options, I am not sure I would go Black Ash. Are you planning to use them in a theater setup?
Grats,
ML

Finish Decision for CLX's

Hello,
Major congratulations. I am honestly thinking about selling my Vantages/Vista/Stage/Montages and put the proceeds towards the CLX. It would be a major change going from multichannel to two channel, but sure would be fun.

What made you decide Black Ash? Given the seemingly limitless options, I am not sure I would go Black Ash. Are you planning to use them in a theater setup?
Grats,
ML

Mark, I have a Stage Center, 2 Script-i's, and 4 Descent subs all in black ash. My equipment racks are also in black wood finish. I wanted the colors to be compatible with existing M-L speakers and racks. I also didn't think that getting more expensive cosmetics would improve the sound.

They actually look very understated in the Black finish. Liked this version when I saw them at the factory...

Attachments

• BLK_CLX.jpg
    BLK_CLX.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Once you go Black...

While I like the anniversary edition as best looking CLX Black may actually be the most attractive. Those wood finishes make it appear as though something is missing.
Gregadd:cool:

CKX multichannel?

BabyDoc,

Jeff is correct the CLX when dialed in with good electronics can simulate surround sound by themselves. However, most of my listening is in CLX surround sound with Vistas now in the rears with Logos center and Descent i.

The main point is that at least for me, the CLX are the most unusual speaker I have ever owned. They sound really really good out of the box assuming you have some good electronics upstream. But you can dial and tweak them for what seems forever.

After dialing in, the CLX really does have pretty good bass.

But I have been discovering new things at least once a month since I got them. I discovered something last week that really blew my mind. After reading this forum and talking to a few people I learned about the concept of putting mass on top of ML speaker cabinets.

Since it was relatively cheap to try, less than 40 bucks total, I had to at least try it.

First, I put Herbies Audio Lab Sonic Stabilizers on the back of the cabinet of the CLX right in the middle behind the panels. This decouples the mass from the CLX cabinet. Then I put two 12 by 12 inch by 1/2 inch thick black granite tiles on top of the sonic decouplers. OBTW you can use any sonic decoupling device that you prefer.

I sat back and played Depeche Mode Violator in 5.1 SACD and DVD Audio. I was stunned at the CLXs new found bass, it was tighter, deeper, clearer and just slammed my ears and chest. The granite tiles weigh maybe 12 pounds together but they make quite a difference in bass for the CLXs sitting on the back of the CLX cabinet.

Again, my CLXs are on ML stock spikes and they are raked forward to almost vertical, but this little tweak was amazing in the bass department.

Anyway, congratulations on the CLXs, you will have a ball in the coming months and mostly you will have a cheddar cheese grin on your face as you rediscover your music collection.

wow - congrats - and yes - the black looks hottttt!!

Please don't play those bad boys with surround speakers! :) Give it a couple of months at least - and if you really think you need to..... but, man - I wouldn't do anything to those and have anything interfere with their sound or soundstage...I am in awe... congrats again....

wow, congrats on the new toys! Great choice - I also love the black on black! What associated gear are you running with these?

gordon

Associated Equipment with CLX's

My main source equipment is:
Pass XP20 preamp/Lexicon 12-HD B processor
Pass XP 15 phono preamp/Pass X ONO preamp
Pass X-350.5 main amp/ Pass X-3 amp for center and surrounds
Esoteric P-03/D-03/G-ORb stack
Esoterix UX1-Pi universal player
Sony BDP 5000 blu-ray
VPI HRX/12.7/Rim-drive TT with Goldfinger v.2
VPI Aries/10.5/fly wheel/Stradvari
4 Nordost Thor power stations
Logitech Squeezebox Duet
Cabling mixture of Nordost Valhalla and Odin

Room is also treated with Echobusters

Thanks to other members for the kind wishes

CLX will be right at home.

Doc, looks like you have the system that enables you to plug the CLX right in. After your bank account recovers from CLX you can think about upgrades when and if you feel like it.

Gregadd:cool:

Back