CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still laughing about the photo in post #10. Holding the print of the CLX up to get a feel for how it will look. I bet those Maggies sound awesome with your system, but I can relate to your enthusiasm about this upgrade. Thanks for this great thread. :D

Thanks Satch - The Maggies do sound nice... nicer than I ever remember really. Must be all those tubes :band:

Just wait young padawan, soon your life will once again have meaning.
I just wish I had more time to enjoy my CLXs but alas, the fate of a parent with a 2.5 year old somewhat differs from that wish.

Let's see... CLX vs. toddler... yep, the little tyke wins every time :eek:

My "littlest" just turned 13 (gulp)

Well, I trust you enjoy your CLXs that much more when you do get those little windows of "me time" - perhaps during nappy time.

Well, I trust you enjoy your CLXs that much more when you do get those little windows of "me time" - perhaps during nappy time.
I certainly do :)
Hoping for some geeky me-time this coming weekend.
Maybe some Dire Straits and a nice bone dry sherry..

I certainly do :)
Hoping for some geeky me-time this coming weekend.
Maybe some Dire Straits and a nice bone dry sherry..

Have you posted your system? Would enjoy seeing pics.

And yes, Mark Knopfler and his buddies... seriously good choice. Not sure if you play much digital, but they've remastered some of their albums. Love over Gold is one of my all time favs.

Have you posted your system? Would enjoy seeing pics.

And yes, Mark Knopfler and his buddies... seriously good choice. Not sure if you play much digital, but they've remastered some of their albums. Love over Gold is one of my all time favs.
I've actually not posted any pics as of yet, guess I'll have to do that sometime :)
Yea I got both SACDs that are available (Dire Straits and Brothers In Arms) as well as Mark Knopfler: Shangri-La.
All 3 are excellent SACDs, I just wish more could get released.
I only play from digital sources btw, either SACD or CD or FLAC.

I only play from digital sources btw, either SACD or CD or FLAC.

Yup, same here. Every once in a while I fart around with vinyl, but I never get serious enough to buy decent equipment. To some degree I'm a slave to convenience, but with digital playback getting closer and closer to good vinyl, there just isn't compelling enough pull for me to invest in high-end analog gear. That's my quantified (!) perspective anyway.

Cheers

Todd, too bad that you won't find out what your CLX's are REALLY capable of. :)

I tend to be a slave to convenience too, but am always amazed at how much better my system sounds when playing vinyl.

Hey Todd,

my CLX just shipped today! Ill be waiting longer than you for arrival :( But this thread has got me amped!

Todd, too bad that you won't find out what your CLX's are REALLY capable of. :)

I tend to be a slave to convenience too, but am always amazed at how much better my system sounds when playing vinyl.

I suppose ticks, pops, pitch inaccuracy, poor channel separation, questionable SNR, and LF feedback vulnerability can sound pretty good if you squint just right and imagine your way through the song of choice... I kid, I kid ;)

In all seriousness... I've had the good fortune of listening to ultra-highend analog setups and when everything is dialed in right, it is absolutely awe-inspiring.

Hey Todd,

my CLX just shipped today! Ill be waiting longer than you for arrival :( But this thread has got me amped!

Yours are on their way then... that's excellent!! Did you order ART? What flavor? I need to contact my dealer to get a GPS lock on my pair (perhaps they've been redirected to your house??)

Regardless of whose land first, please join me in chronicling your adventure as well... keep us posted on receipt, unwrapping, set-up, first-impressions, repositioning, second impressions, etc etc etc... :D

I suppose ticks, pops, pitch inaccuracy, poor channel separation, questionable SNR, and LF feedback vulnerability can sound pretty good if you squint just right and imagine your way through the song of choice... I kid, I kid ;)

In all seriousness... I've had the good fortune of listening to ultra-highend analog setups and when everything is dialed in right, it is absolutely awe-inspiring.

i just got back into vinyl last year. To me, even if digital sounds better (sometimes for me it does) it's fun to hunt for old school records, whether a new and sealed or used. It funny when my Sade this week got delivered to me at work and these late 20's "kids" (I'm 41) say to me "What's that?" At first I tell them it's a calendar ;) lol!

And people collect the weirdest things. I saw this news article on TV about this guy who has hundreds and hundreds of yo-yo that he showcases in his home. Why?? Well, that's his things and who am I to judge? People collect coins, but they never use it ot buy things. People collect stamps, but they never mail anything with it. I collect vinyl ...but I actuallly get to use it!

And people look at me weird, but when they come over to see them all nicely organized in my Ikea bookshelf, or they see it delievered to me at work, they just can't keep their hands off it! LOL! "You can look at it if you can let me look at the downloaded 'electrons' you just purchased" ;)

It's also good for me since I sometimes do large pencil drawings of album covers. Years ago i was doing the 'boy' from U2's War album using my CD cover. Then one day I looked at my sisters vinyl copy and said "oh, the CD cover doesn't show the freckles on his face!" So not only can vinyl reveal things you can't hear on CD, but also what you can't visually see! lol jk.

So what is your ETA on the CLX??? I'm getting anxious to see how great they will look in your beautiful rom with your already AWESOME SYSTEM !!!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 380
So not only can vinyl reveal things you can't hear on CD, but also what you can't visually see! lol jk.

So true :D

So what is your ETA on the CLX??? I'm getting anxious to see how great they will look in your beautiful rom with your already AWESOME SYSTEM !!!

Just got word from my dealer that the CLX may be here by Saturday, but could slip to Monday. I wish I hadn't bitten all my fingernails off so I could bite my fingernails;)

So true :D

Just got word from my dealer that the CLX may be here by Saturday, but could slip to Monday. I wish I hadn't bitten all my fingernails off so I could bite my fingernails;)

You know what....I almost think this is the best part of it all.....enjoy the tension!!! Just think about that fresh electronic smell as you open them up.... we are sick puppies.... because I know everyone here knows what I am talking about!! :)

You know what....I almost think this is the best part of it all.....enjoy the tension!!!
This is absolutely true for me.
The waiting game is awesome, looking forward to stuff and romanticizing over them almost feels better than the actual thing.
Anticipation > Reality :)
I didn't have to wait at all for my CLXs since they were already in the store when I decided to buy so I missed out on the anticipation part of the experience :(
Now everyone please feel sorry for me! :p

Interesting sidenote as this whole thing unfolds... I shipped the Summit-X speakers to the buyer a few days ago... but apparently they spent a night (the speakers that is) in a leaky trailer and the boxes disintegrated around them. So he had to refuse delivery and now I'm in an insurance claim situation... which of course is part of the risk when you sell/ship items... but never, ever fun... ever.

One possible high note, the Summits are wrapped in two protective sleeves (the outer one is a fairly thick plastic bag) before even any of the high density foam is applied... so there's a chance the speakers are fine and we'll only have to get the shipping company to pay for new boxes. Let's hope!!!

There are few things as stomach-turning as the visage of brutally mishandled and damaged ML speakers! Well, there's tons of stuff way worse than that, but you guys know what I mean.

Hi Todd,
Somehow I think dad here is going to get stuck with helping the son,right Pete :). Good luck to you and have a GREAT time with them!
Bob

Todd,

I had a similar issue 5 months ago with selling my Vantage and having damage, but there was no visual damage on the box, so they would not cover the insurance and I had to foot the bill :mad:. But it all worked out.

hey Bobf, yea Im sure the son will need the help and will truly appreciate it ;)---Pete

I shipped the Summit-X speakers to the buyer a few days ago... but apparently they spent a night (the speakers that is) in a leaky trailer and the boxes disintegrated around them.

Do you mind me asking what company you used for the shipping?

not at all... I frequently ship via UPS, so I asked my local UPS store if they could handle freight. They agreed to take the speakers and coordinate with the freight branch of the company (apparently separate from the "small package" division).

Back