CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice read and I also loved the cutout picture :bowdown:
Make sure to take pics of the real deal when they arrive and spare no detail when describing your love for them.

Nice read and I also loved the cutout picture :bowdown:
Make sure to take pics of the real deal when they arrive and spare no detail when describing your love for them.

You bet. I plan to chronical the good, the bad, and the euphoric (well, within the limits of good taste and forum policy anyway)

Cheers

Hey Y'all,

Just a brief post to say it looks like I've sold my Summit-X (will know for sure by tomorrow AM)... so, that'll pay for about one CLX speaker (the left one). The right CLX is partially covered by a recent sale of my Bel Canto Ref1000M monos and an until-recently closeted Shanling SCD-T200. Although I still need to find some more old gear to sell. I do have a 9/10 pair of Maggie MG12s collecting dust... probably get a few pounds sterling for those... then there's always a series of blood donations.

But just when I think things are back to appx net-zero, a pair of JL112 subs have been quietly summoning me in the night (which is unusual given what JL subs are more known for), and maybe a W4S DAC2 to "fix" the sound of the Olive 04HD server I just ordered (I thought about the new 06HD but it's style, feature list, and price tag all put me off a bit).

It's all such a wickedly vicious circle. No - more like a vortex... like Dorothy's twister, except with speakers, amps, DACs, and the odd stray cow flying by the window. Let's just hope that when the CLX mega-boxes land, it's not my feet sticking out from under the tonnage (although coincidentally, I do own a surprisingly similar pair of shoes... but that's neither here nor there).

That's it... nothing worthwhile really to say... just a snapshot of the maelstrom's impact. Will continue to update as the 2-channel system evolves.

Cheers

Attachments

• feetpopping.jpg
    feetpopping.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 578
Here I stand in this rather disturbing scene... an interstellar-like vacuum between recently sold Summit-X and still undelivered CLX. A reality-skewed transducerless limbo. Uninviting and hostile.

While I suffer the night-sweats and palpitations brought on by this unholy void, I'm told there is light at the very end of the tunnel. A tunnel that challenges the very essence of space and time. A tunnel so vast and unreachably long as to redefine infinity itself. In terms of sheer time, it's a tunnel my dealer says is about a week from now (phew!). Can't wait!

Cheers

Attachments

• X summit-X 001 small.jpg
    X summit-X 001 small.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
It is a disturbing image, hard to look at, and yet I can't turn away. Those untethered cables laying there on the floor like that, they look like entrails. Oh the horror! Steady yourself. This will pass soon enough.

Here I stand in this rather disturbing scene... an interstellar-like vacuum between recently sold Summit-X and still undelivered CLX. A reality-skewed transducerless limbo. Uninviting and hostile.

While I suffer the night-sweats and palpitations brought on by this unholy void, I'm told there is light at the very end of the tunnel. A tunnel that challenges the very essence of space and time. A tunnel so vast and unreachably long as to redefine infinity itself. In terms of sheer time, it's a tunnel my dealer says is about a week from now (phew!). Can't wait!

Cheers

OMG!! It is the END of The WORLD!!

It was written in the book of Revelation that Satan would one day rule the world and it would signify the end of times!! That day is NOW! But it is thy will of God, for at the end of the end of days, soon you will be hearing songs of all the angels singing as you sit in one of many room's in God's mansion in Heaven with your CLX!!!!!

Can't wait to see your new setup! Hang in there!

OMG!! It is the END of The WORLD!!

It was written in the book of Revelation that Satan would one day rule the world and it would signify the end of times!! That day is NOW! But it is thy will of God, for at the end of the end of days, soon you will be hearing songs of all the angels singing as you sit in one of many room's in God's mansion in Heaven with your CLX!!!!!

Can't wait to see your new setup! Hang in there!

There is a certain apocolyptic intensity to this waiting around thing... just have to repeat the montra "serenity now... serentiy now..." :meditate:

LOL! So wish I had the $$$ for a pair of CLX's. Someday perhaps. Enjoy them when they finally arrive.

I hear ya Tom... and believe me, it's been "November Madness" here the last few weeks as I've been dusting off, posting ads, and shipping out old gear from years gone by, some of which I've actually forgotten about (really)... all in an effort to backfill the old snakeskin.

I'm even seriously considering selling my Toshiba HD-DVD player! "That's insane!" you're thinking "Who in their right ever-luvin' mind would even consider sacrificing something so fundamentally critical to life itself?" That's right, it's now that serious!

Back in the real world though, I did just sell my Rega P1 table with Shure M97xe cartrdidge, and am about to post my Maggie M12s. My Jolida Integrated may go up too before the week is out. As I said, the Summit-X sale paid for the left CLX. As for the right one, I'm scrounging greasy dimes from the french-fry laiden third-row seat of the minivan and stealing social security checks from the wife's whacky uncle who actually believes that Bose is awesome (certifiably crazy, obviously).

If you want something bad enough... you do what has to be done. ;)

Cheers

Guys,

Check out this clip on Vimeo... first I'd ever heard of Lasswell, but I LOVE them/her (or at least this one effort of theirs). The video is of various Scandinavian rural-scapes, lovely HD stuff... but it's the music that really hit me hard. The composition, the simple accompaniment, and her singing (wow)... bordering on brilliant. The bass line compliments the piano perfectly as well (IMO). Quite a treat... and if none of my ramblings are enough to make you want to clique the hyper, just check out the song name:

"Drunk In A Smokey Bar Drinking An Imperial Porter Mix" ... who sees that song title and says "nope, I refuse to check it out"? ... no one, that's who. You can stream or download an MP3 version of this tune (sans rural-scape mix-in) here. I've been trying, so far in vain, to find a redbook or better quality download somewhere/anywhere. If anyone finds one, pls PM me. Thanks.

There's another video on that site too which I first saw on Astronomy Picture of the Day (which itself is a very cool site)... anyway, the other clip is a time-lapsed view of various aurora borealises'ses (or whatever the plural is)... stunningly beautiful video.

Last edited:
Speaking of apocalyptic, I do hope you have a recording of "Ride of the Valkyries". I'm sure it will sound great through those speakers.

Speaking of apocalyptic, I do hope you have a recording of "Ride of the Valkyries". I'm sure it will sound great through those speakers.

Kill da wabbit? Of course!... and in sumptuous DSD to boot (or is that Das Boot?)

Attachments

• 61FT6h7iHRL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61FT6h7iHRL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 503
Just wait young padawan, soon your life will once again have meaning.
I just wish I had more time to enjoy my CLXs but alas, the fate of a parent with a 2.5 year old somewhat differs from that wish.

magnetic interlude

the untethered entrails (see previous posts) have been surgically, if temporarily, grafted to a pair of Maggie MG12s... a remarkably inoffensive solution while we await "the arrival"

Attachments

• maggies 004.jpg
    maggies 004.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 441
I'm still laughing about the photo in post #10. Holding the print of the CLX up to get a feel for how it will look. I bet those Maggies sound awesome with your system, but I can relate to your enthusiasm about this upgrade. Thanks for this great thread. :D

Back