CLX Minimum room size

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrejci

Reaction score
I currently have ML Summit X speakers, and am thinking of upgrading to CLXs. But room size is only 16' x 12'. The CLX set up/speaking positioning guide suggests this would be OK, but am not sure. Any advice?

Twelve feet of width is pretty small for these speakers, I would think. If you have them a couple of feet from the side walls, then they would be less than eight feet apart. Seems like that would really diminish your soundstage.

room size is only 16' x 12'. The CLX set up/speaking positioning guide suggests this would be OK, but am not sure. Any advice?

OK....maybe, but FAR from ideal. You would never get full potential in that small a room.

It's doable but nowhere close to optimal. You will need minimum 5' distance to the front wall and optimally still have some gap to back wall behind your seat. You should also leave at least 1' to sidewalls. I have a small room like that and it's to main obstacle for improvement currently, however I do get much better sound compared to my previous Odysseys. Part of the reason is lower output below ~45Hz with CLX, lower frequencies tend to be exaggerated in smallish rooms.

I agree with Tom on this one. the Summit X is about right for this room size. For one thing the bass extension on the CLXs goes down to 56 Hrz and most CLX users have at least one sub (I use 4). Yes you can go subless but for some musical selections you will be left somewhat cold. I love my CLXs but can't recommend them for this small space.

Regards
Gary

Back