CLX coming to Cleveland Area

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstory

Reaction score
I just received a postcard in the mail about a CLX event to be held August 8th and 9th at the Strongsville location of Audio Visions.

It's the wrong side of town for me, but I might try to get out there tomorrow after work to see what all the fuss is about. :p

Chuck

I just received a postcard in the mail about a CLX event to be held August 8th and 9th at the Strongsville location of Audio Visions.

It's the wrong side of town for me, but I might try to get out there tomorrow after work to see what all the fuss is about. :p

Chuck

If you are a fan of the Martin Logan sound, you will not be disappointed!

If you do get out there, I would be curious if you could turn up the system volume. We heard a good amount of bass distortion during our audition, and I am curious if this incident was isolated to the speakers we were listening or whether it is universal. Thanks.

Too bad that I'm busy tomorrow (it's only 2 hrs from me) and I'll be jamming at CAP's place on Saturday !!

C'est la vie !! I'll demo the CLX soon enough...

~VDR

Cleveland CLX

I gave them a call and they said they may be set up by 1:00 PM on Friday. I only live 15 minutes from their store and am going to try and make it there Friday afternoon. In not Friday, then Saturday. I should probably stay home :rolleyes:!

Joe

Chuck

Too bad that I'm busy tomorrow (it's only 2 hrs from me) and I'll be jamming at CAP's place on Saturday !!

C'est la vie !! I'll demo the CLX soon enough...

~VDR
WOW:rolleyes: I have a lot to live up to VAN. I think I can please ya ! The CLX are fantastic . But they need a bigger room than I have to get the best out of them. That is if I could ever afford them .

If you do get out there, I would be curious if you could turn up the system volume. We heard a good amount of bass distortion during our audition, and I am curious if this incident was isolated to the speakers we were listening or whether it is universal. Thanks.

If they give me the volume control, I'll try and turn them up. But since I typically listen at 75-80db, what I consider loud, may be background music to others.;)

I'll do my best to take one for the team and really see if we can push them.:D

I've just returned from hearing the CLX's at Audio Visions in Strongsville Ohio, which is a suburb of Cleveland. I must say that overall I was quite impressed. Especially with the power of the speakers and the punch and impact of the bass. Also the soundstage was huge, way bigger than my Vista's.

Now for the bad. I wasn't particularly crazy about the treble sound, and it is a bit disconcerting to see the panels flapping (reflected lights waver with the bass notes). I suspect the room and the electronics were to blame for the hardness. They were using a laptop feeding a DAC of unknown make, going to Classe electronics. Two mono blocks for the speakers. The salesman said the electronics were fresh, so maybe it was just a lack of breaking, but the treble was just a bit hard and overbearing on what I heard. Perhaps the McIntosh pairing at the earlier show was a good choice.

Most of the music was unfamiliar to me, but like I said the bass detail, integration and impact was first class. The Flight of the Cosmic Hippo had plenty of power and deep bass. I just couldn't quite get past the harshness I heard in the trebble. They played some drum stuff really loud and I didn't hear anything bad coming from the panels, and like I said you could see the reflected lights shimer with the kick drum thwacks. They were played much louder than I normally listen.

So huge soundstage, great bass, better cymbals than my Vista's, but I think that the electronics needed a better matching. I would imagine something like TonePub's CJ system would be amazing with these speakers.

(Oh yeah, they are way out of my price range, but it's always fun to listen)

Chuck

clx

I to went to Audio Visions also to listen to the CLX's and i was very impressed, they are not a large as i thought they would be. they played them very loud and they sailed thru just fine. i did not notice any harshness. they had great overall impact an smooth. i noticed the bass panel moving but this what it is suppose to do in order to get to the lower freq. they definitely need a subwoofer if you are to use them in a theater setup or like very deep bass. I did not feel they were setup to there best they had a very large screen behind them which was reflective and should have been covered to stop the reflections. The seating was not ideal the room was setup for video viewing and they had it so you were setting up a level and the row behind was higher and up against the wall. Over all i liked them very much and i feel they we be a extremely well liked by the reviwers. but i do not feel they are worth 20,000

OK. sounds like you both had decent experience. They were set up with good amps it sounds like but the ancillaries and room were not the bets from your description. That can be the single largest factor in a speakers set up. Especially the room. When I heard them they were in a damn near perfect room. I do agree they like a LARGE room. What speaker does not ?

Having said that whats a $20k speaker to you ? Show me a speaker that can do all that for that cost !

clx

c.a.p I doubt that there is one out there under 20,000 that can do all the CLX does but 20,000 is allot of money especially for retired me. Maybe i can wait for the used market to find some at half price. You have a very nice system. Happy listening.

The value question is always a difficult one to answer, but a year ago I had the chance to stop at a stereo/hometheather store in Arizona that was amazing, and the owner must have been bored becuase he took me and my wife into all their different rooms and played a bit of music in all of them. They carried Sonus Faber, Dali, ML, McIntosh, MBL, and probably a few other brands that I forgot.

One farily large room had a pair of Summits, a pair of Sonus Faber Stradivarius Homage (I think, ~$34,000/pair) and a pair of Dali Megalines. In a brief listen, I liked the Summits better than the Sonus Faber, and I thought the Magalines presentation was a bit odd, but being an ML person, I was predisposed to like the Summits anyway. The point is, that at least to me, I thougth the Summits were quite competative with considerably more expensive speakers, and I feel that the CLX's are definitely a leap over the Summits. So, based on that, I belive the CLX's will compete quite well with other speakers in their price range and higher. I can only inagine them being beat on pure bass extension or sound output by the larger (i.e. Wilson MAXX, etc) but not bass punch and impact. I can't imagine anything that would best them in clarity and coherence.

Chuck

Back