CLX and Acoustically transparent screens

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I have CLX speakers. Since the panel for both bass and upper frequencies goes pretty close to the floor, even with an AT screen being positioned so my eyes are 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the screen, some of the panel would be covered by the bottom aluminum frame going across it horizontally. Do you think this is cause for concern?

I have CLX speakers. Since the panel for both bass and upper frequencies goes pretty close to the floor, even with an AT screen being positioned so my eyes are 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the screen, some of the panel would be covered by the bottom aluminum frame going across it horizontally. Do you think this is cause for concern?

First, congrats on your CLX acquistion.

Second, huh? You're description needs some decoding. It sounds like you're saying you want to place an AT screen in front of your speakers (presumably so you don't have to look at them...?) and that part of that screen frame will be positioned between you and the CLX panels. If that's the case, then bottom line, spend a few hours in A/B test mode and see if you can discern any audible difference.

My gut feeling is... well, my gut feeling is a little upset from that breakfast burrito I just fueled up on... but back to this AT thing... my gut feeling is that ANYTHING you place between the speakers and your ear/brain will in some way interfere with the sound as it was meant to be heard by our design guru friends at ML. I also believe "acoustically transparent" is an oxymoron, at least in terms of anything that optically camouflages a sound source operating in the general range of human hearing (with the glaring exception of just switching off the lights... which, oddly and psychologically enhances the sound - but that's a whole 'nother thread).

So there you have it... a long winded, slightly elitist, bloviated response. You're welcome :)

Thanks. I want to go with an AT screen so I can go larger than I can right now - want to do a 150" wide 2:35 scope screen and a non AT screen would make me place the CLXs way too wide. Also, I would like to use a tower center that sounds like its coming from the appropriate location and better matches the CLX. I doubt I can afford a third CLX for the center, but a used single Summit or Spire behind that screen would be great. As far as changing the sound, most good weaved screens (not perforated vinyl) do nothing more than a ~1 dB decrease in sound across the audio spectrum. And that can be equalized with Audyssey while its doing the rest of its EQ process. But of course the actual aluminum frame isnt transparent. I guess I just need to find some similar material and put in front of the CLX at the location that the frame would be and just A-B it like you suggest.

Oh... THAT kind of screen :) Honestly, home theater didn't even cross my mind. My bad.

I have a somewhat similar situation in my HT in that I have a wide cinemascope screen (150" diag)... this forces me to place my reQuests a bit further apart than ideal, however, the CC does a grand job of filling in the void... so the audio imaging really isn't that bad. I think it's a trade off really between this approach and an AT screen. The other problem with AT screens though, obviously is that they not only attenuate the sound (flat across the range or otherwise) but they also attenuate the amount of reflected light... but these things can be compensated for as you suggest.

Good luck with the process.

Since I run an AT screen and a large tower center (my own custom SL3XC), and can confidently say that what you propose will be fine.

The bar will of course cause a reflection and resonance, but it is so close to the ground and such a small area (relative to the rest of the transducer) that it will hardly matter.

The benefits of correct placement of speakers and the use of a large vertical center will far outweigh any other factors.

Please do consider dampening the wall between the L/R and behind the center. A straight ahead ESL bouncing the rear wave onto the wall behind and right back through the panel is really bad. I've done measurements and countless variations to arrive at the conclusion that for intelligible dialog, the rear wave of an ESL center *must* be damped. Read more of my acoustic treatment threads.

Last edited:
Back