CLS placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonAudio

Reaction score
Been playing with my CLS's now for a few weeks :music:. I have them about 8 feet apart, as much as my room will allow. They are ever so slightly tilted in and I've noticed that if I roll my head to the left and right I still hear a significant volume change; changing center stage from one side to the other. Is this anyone elses observation? If so, what were you able to do about that.

Don:bowdown:

One thing you might want to try for now is make sure they
both are level, and raked back at the same angle.

If you have a decent level and a grease pencil, just mark
where the bubble is on speaker a and then go to speaker B
and match the tilt as exactly as you can.

That will at least be a start!

Next step, make sure the toe in is the same on both speakers.

Once you get both of these done, then you can fiddle more with
exact placement, but that should at least get you some better
sound than you have.

Good luck...

Hi Don,

Having owned the CLS 2A's, Jeff's recommends, as usual, are spot on.

Generally, and I say that with a healthy bit of skepticism given the sensitivity of ML speaker placement and resultant sound, more toe in "should" result in a better, more stable center image.

Have you tried the "flashlight" test to see what part of the panel is directed towards your listening position?

Again, "general" starting point is to have the light reflecting in the "inner" third of the panel. For me that has worked to get me close with subsequent minor adjustments to get the panel dialed in. As Jeff said, a uniform vertical angle is also critical to getting a uniform left / right stereo image. Uniform distance from the back wall can also be critical.

Then you can always play around with the actual tilt to see what sounds better. It will also impact the sound you hear from your listening position. The key, again, is that both panels have exactly the same tilt. Much discussion on this issue in other threads.

Two questions. You say the panels are eight feet apart. Is that inside to inside or centerline to centerline? The other question is how far you are sitting from the panel. Again "generally" speaking, the distance between you and the panel should be greater than the separation distance. If not, this could cause the effect you are hearing.

Hope that helps.

Gordon

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll play around with those ideas. I've never had a speaker so sensitive to placement that I might need a level and a flashlight test to locate. LOL. I appreciate you addressing redundant postings. Gordon the speakers are eight feet apart at the inside. I sit about 12 feet back. I would like to be sitting back further but alas the room does not allow.

Don

Yep, you will be amazed once you dial these in how much more you will
be able to hear...

Keep measuring (and adjusting)

One other thing that might be really helpful for you is to get some of that colored painters tape from Home Depot. Looks just like masking tape, but has a little bit weaker adhesive so it won't hurt your carpet or hardwood floors.

This will help with a couple of things:

1. You can go back to where you started in case you go too far in one direction.

2. You can mark 1", 1/2" and smaller gradations on the tape for fine adjustment, just like having a ruler on the floor.

3. In case you need to move your speakers for getting something big in or out of your room, all your hard work wont be lost!

Attachments

• adj_1.jpg
    adj_1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 202
  • adj_2.jpg
    adj_2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 202
Hi Don,

My gut feeling is that you should try decreasing the separation. 12" could make a huge difference in your centerfill issue. The good news and bad news about ML's is that they are incredibly sensitive to placement.

As Jeff said, keep trying and be patient. Your efforts will be well rewarded.

GG

I don't think there is a gap in center stage gentlemen. When my head is centered I have the vocals dead center. Problem comes when I move my head from side to side. There seems to be spots where there is considerably more output in the vocal range from side to side. Gordon, I used the light trick. Thanks! Never even thought of that one. LOL.

Don

Back