CLS IIz V's CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacefulcargo

Reaction score
Have any of you upgraded from the CLS to CLX. Was it a major upgrade? The CLS goes down to 35hz whereas the CLX goes to down to 56hz which is a sizeable difference in bass. Thanks

Last edited:
I have owned CLS II, IIA and IIZ and they were all great speakers. I have owned CLX for 2+ years and they are stunningly better. More than I expected in upper end, mids and bass. The bass in CLS is there but CLX is much more involving.
I don't think CLS really had much bass below 50Hz. I crossed my Depth i subs over to them at around 50.

With the CLX crossover circuit installed in the Depth i subs they are set at 35Hz though you can bypass them for what ever setting you prefer for your room. The double panel of the CLX gives you a more pronounced low end not over done though. Also, the CLX is much easier to drive than the CLS's ever were.

To answer your question simply, the sound is dramatically improved. I don't know how many ML speakers you have heard but it is kind of like listening to SL3's and then listening Summit X. If you are considering choosing between them, purchase a good quality pair of used CLX if it is in your budget over CLS.

I have owned CLS II, IIA and IIZ and they were all great speakers. I have owned CLX for 2+ years and they are stunningly better. More than I expected in upper end, mids and bass. The bass in CLS is there but CLX is much more involving.
I don't think CLS really had much bass below 50Hz. I crossed my Depth i subs over to them at around 50.

With the CLX crossover circuit installed in the Depth i subs they are set at 35Hz though you can bypass them for what ever setting you prefer for your room. The double panel of the CLX gives you a more pronounced low end not over done though. Also, the CLX is much easier to drive than the CLS's ever were.

To answer your question simply, the sound is dramatically improved. I don't know how many ML speakers you have heard but it is kind of like listening to SL3's and then listening Summit X. If you are considering choosing between them, purchase a good quality pair of used CLX if it is in your budget over CLS.

Thats really great insight , Thank you

I've heard both, albeit the CLS was very brief... The CLX is amazing. would be my first choice if I had the space.

I always wondered what the CLSZ2 would sound like with the new perforations/ panels and Mylar...and maybe a little DSP thrown in?

Back