CLS IIz Trim Rails?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if it's possible to replace the frame of a CLS IIz? Can replacements be purchased from Martin Logan??

Last edited:
Not sure what finish you are looking for but the panels are easily removed from the CLS as well as the electronics. It would be easy to sand the existing panels and stain/paint them any color you wanted.

What wood would you want and why ! Anything is possible ! They dont seem like they would be difficult to make !

I ask because there's a pair of black IIzs for sale locally but I hate the black lacquer frames. I would prefer the natural oak frames.

CLS IIz

Funny, since I always wanted a pair in black but now have a pair in rosewood frame.

I've never seen a rosewood pair, but I can imagine they'd be pretty attractive. The black frames just don't do it for me...

I have sent Jim Powers from Martin Logan an e-mail about the same thing! I have a pair of light oak frames, but really want the rosewood. I haven't heard back from him. I was hoping that either ML had some or could make some or maybe they used a local woodshop to make these and they could do it. PLEASE, if anyone finds out an answer, post it here. THANKS!

I do not believe that ML would have any old frames laying around. I am pretty sure they are gone. I would imagine you could find a "craftsman" who could make the frames. They do not look that difficult to build for any one who has the tools. I have seen pictures of the rosewood and the piano black but I still think the oak is the best because it seems to blend in better to the environment which may be a good thing since they are big. Of course it does depend on how the room is decorated. :D

Just a thought

Jeff:cool:

If you really want oak ! or any species , I can get most, I have done high end wood floors for years and have contacts for hundreds of wood species. I can make them if I have the measurements ! I will need detailed pics and detailed measurements!

Last edited:
one of 8 produced according to ML

I own a pair in Rosewood...And to tell you the truth I'd prefer those in black. Who has them for sale? Maybe I can buy them and sell you my second pair of CLS IIz's I have in Oak. Write me if you're serious. Thanks!:musicnote:

I've never seen a rosewood pair, but I can imagine they'd be pretty attractive. The black frames just don't do it for me...

I own a pair in Rosewood...And to tell you the truth I'd prefer those in black. Who has them for sale? Maybe I can buy them and sell you my second pair of CLS IIz's I have in Oak. Write me if you're serious. Thanks!:musicnote:

Bebop,

I sent you a PM.

I was just at Martin Logan and they have 1 or 2 oak frames left. I do not think they are even making them any more !

Before you make a molehill into a mountain:

I never liked that 'black wood' look either -- on any audio gear! But before you get real complicated over this, I think you should consider stripping the frames back down to the oak, with some possible light sanding afterward. You won't get every last vestige of black out of the grain, but a light application of red oak or mahogany stain will create a really nice look and then you can rub a few coats of thinned out Varathane into it and buff. (This is my 21st Century version of the old linseed-oil-and-turpentine "Danish hand-rubbed" finish;))

'Filled-grain' is considered a premium furniture and floor finish; often done in white - but work with what you've got, it should look great :rocker:

Last edited:
Jim Powers was kind enough to actually dig through the archives to find the detailed plans for the CLS frames for me! He sent me all 10 pages that have everything needed to make the frames. I have a custom woodworker making me a pair out of Bubinga :) Jim mentioned that they had a pair of Walnut frames left, but wanted $1800 plus shipping for them...ouch!

Would you mind sending me the plans. If you had to pay for them I would split any cost.

I will P.M. you with email and fax #.

I have been planning on building a pair of Bubinga frames my self. I can't wait to see pics of yours.

Brad

Mraudio, Bubinga is used as veneer in most applications because of it's pretty figuration and grain, but it's not particularly strong or dimensionally stable (warps); expecially when sawn to bring out its burl-like grain. It's also difficult to glue because it has gum-pockets. You might want to do a little Googling and rethink that idea. Straight grained hardwoods like oak, ash, maple, and walnut make the strongest frames.

Would you mind sending me the plans. If you had to pay for them I would split any cost.

I will P.M. you with email and fax #.

I have been planning on building a pair of Bubinga frames my self. I can't wait to see pics of yours.

Brad

X2 on the plans. Can you send me them too. I can build any species as I have access to over 100 species of wood.

Why don't you guys arrange a trade? Sounds like several want black and have wood....

Hi,
I have a set of unused and unfinished cherry wood frames (sanded smooth, but not stained, sealed or otherwise finished) for CLS's. I got them as a second set with my CLS's when I bought them used. I was originally going to get another pair of panels, and make up another set of electronics for a second pair of speakers...but that never happened.

I saw the earlier post about ML wanting $1800 for a walnut set...:eek:...I could be persuaded to let these go for $300, plus shipping. If intersted, PM me.

Peter Hogan

Back