clicks and pops

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpaudio2

Reaction score
I am a new member here. I have a set of requests that I just got which have had very little maintenance over the last 8 years in fact none. When I picked them up there were about 5 dead moths on each panel. Ive gotten them off and vacuumed twice, there are still some remains stuck to the membrane but nothing thick just wings or something.

Every so often while listening to music I am getting a click sound, similar to a LP. Im not sure the best way to clean them... they seem to play fine otherwise.

With no music but the panels active, I hear a very low volume crinkle sound... is this normal for a electrostatic speakers?

I am semi prepared to replace the panels if need be... but maybe they can be saved? Logan said to just vacuum but that seems to have no helped much... Can I safely play them as is? I did some googling and from everything I read its pretty hard to do damage to logans.

clean

there is some very good infromation on how to clean your panels right in this forum, go to DIY and check it out. or do a search for cleaning panels. good luck and happy listening.

are the clicks and pops indicative of cleaning ? I will try canned air, but I did not see any other suggestions... I saw something about a shower but im not sure how i feel about that...

Its better than listening to Rice Krispies!

Try the shower method if not then its $715 for new ones !

Vacuum them again with a good, strong vacuum. I don't know if you used a brush (some people here do), but I prefer to get better suction by cupping my hands around the bare house, then using my hand on the actual speaker surface. Try to get it so that the hose will hold on the speaker surface (with your hand protecting it of course) alone without any help. Then vacuum the entire surface that way.

If there are reminants of anything, then try the compressed air too, but be damn careful that you don't spray liquid on the speakers like compressed air cans have a propensity to do. Then vacuum them again.

If this fails, you could always try the shower - but I would always recommend anyone trying that that they have resigned themselves to new panels.

I tried the canned air... I did get some of the canned air liquid on them... did I do any damage? They seem to play okay and there seem to be less pops. I sure hope I did not do any damage.... How would canned air do damage? Is there a way I can tell.

I tried the canned air... I did get some of the canned air liquid on them... did I do any damage? They seem to play okay and there seem to be less pops. I sure hope I did not do any damage.... How would canned air do damage? Is there a way I can tell.
Ipaudio2...hola. All electrostatic speakersma ke funny noises one and then. Read your manual...or better here it is:

Popping and Ticking Sounds, Funny Noises
These occasional noises are harmless and will not hurt
your audio system or your speakers. All electrostatic
speakers are guilty of making odd noises at one time or
another.

Happy listening,
Roberto.

Not sure if you've done any damage - probably not, but it would have been better not to allow this to happen!

The best way to tell if there is any damage is to listen to the part of the panel that you managed to freeze - is it still producing sound. Use of a stethoscope might help if you can't tell with the unaided ear.

Anyway - have you fixed your clicks and pops?

pops are better.I think I am ok. I ran pink noise through them, and they sounded pretty similar, I would expect one to sound off.... back to martin logan bliss.

Im planning on replacing the stators in a year or two anyway, they are 9 years old (oct 99).

Im really curious what the tannoy sub I have on order does along with the NHT x2 crossover does, I have a suspicion getting 80hz and below off the speakers will help reduce a lot of vibrations on the ESL. Too bad the x2 is backordered.

Last edited:
Clicks and Pops

Martin logan does state that electrostatic speakers are prone to making funny noises,such as clicks or pops.I do think that the older models make these noises a little more often.High humidity and dusty conditions are a huge factor in these noises.I personally use a dehumidifier in my basement to lower the humidity levels.I also recommend that a air purifier be used in the same room as your speakers.Since doing this,I have hardly ever heard a noise from the speakers.The purifier will also help keep the dust from your equipment.This is only my opinion on the matter.You can purchase a cheap Holmes humidity gauge for less than $7.00 at almost any store.Good luck and happy listening.

good to know that some noises are normal. I never had the manual so I had no way of reading that.

Do you know of an electrostatic air filter that is non ionizing and cheap? I read that consumer reports said the sharper image one actually creates ozone.

Clicks or pops

I just e-mailed Jim Power at ML to see if there are any negative effects of using a Ion air purifier.I will let you know when he responds.Many people on this site will disagree with me but I have always crossed my Logans over at 80 or 100HZ.In my opinion it relieves alot of stress off the drivers.You will also achieve louder levels,which will help if you also use them in home theater.I have always believed that subs were made for this area.I also believe that with standard care that it will greatly extend the life of the panels and woofers.

I just e-mailed Jim Power at ML to see if there are any negative effects of using a Ion air purifier.I will let you know when he responds.Many people on this site will disagree with me but I have always crossed my Logans over at 80 or 100HZ.In my opinion it relieves alot of stress off the drivers.You will also achieve louder levels,which will help if you also use them in home theater.I have always believed that subs were made for this area.I also believe that with standard care that it will greatly extend the life of the panels and woofers.

I'd be wary about using ion filters around MLs - but let us know what Jim says.

Jim Power on Ion Air Purifiers

He said that it is helpful to the speakers.The speakers tend to attempt the task of an electrostatic air cleaner for which they were not designed.If you have an Ion air purifier,it will do the work for the speakers...Thus allowing them to pursue the job of making sound.It is a good thing.If any questions,send me your e-mail and I will send you a copy of his e-mail.

Latest posts

Back