Clarity XO/PS upgrade - PCB question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I recently recapped the PS and XO of my Clarities, but I have run into a problem. In removing caps C3 and C4 of the PS (the one mounted to the base), some of the masking came off the PCB itself. What I am trying to determine is whether any of the legs on C3 and/or C4 are intended to make contact with the topside traces of the PCB. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

When you say "masking" peeled off, do you mean copper traces? If that is the case, you left the heat on to long. I guess you are trying to route your own wire now in place of the trace. Can you see if the hole is copper plated through?
Good luck.

Masking

I meant the green coating that is actually on top of the copper traces that insulates the traces from unintended contacts. What happened is that the adhesive holding the cap pulled off a small amount of this green coating right around the holes in the PCB, so yes I can see a small spot of copper on the topside of the PCB. But what I can't tell is whether there was, is or should be a trace contact ring on the topside of the PCB for C3 and C4. Somehow either the adhesive pulled off the contact ring as well or obscured it from my view (probably with bits of the masking that was pulled away). I hope that is clear - I know it is kinda weird. I have asked Jim Powers as well.

Oh OK. Well if there is a copper trace running to that hole (hole where capacitor lead went through) on the top side where you think the solder pad peeled off, then most likely the cap was soldered on the top of the board too. You can live with out the green insulating coating if nothing else is near it. But I don't want to steer you wrong, so let ML verify how it should be. Can you take the other crossover apart to look at it?
Torry

Yeah, if there was a distinct trace there, this would be pretty easy. But there isn't. Rather, there is a wide patch of copper that covers this entire area of the board. So that just makes it more confusing. I am confident Jim will clear this all up for me and I will feel really stupid (but I am pretty accustomed to that....)

Back