Clarity (new) vs. Aerius (used)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Clarities. I bought them when they first came out. I like them quite a bit and I only use them for 2-channel listening. However, I am in the midst of modding them a bit. The PS and XO caps, resistors and inductors are not as high quality as I had expected, so I am replacing them with high end parts. Jim Powers suggested to me the key XO caps, so those are now high voltage PIOs (that required a bit of tricky installation). PS electrolytics are now Sprague and Rubycon. New inductors and resistors will be Duelunds. I did other tweaks like disconnnected the blue LED and removed the wiring, disconnected the NAC (I never used it) and added LOTS of weighting/damping to the surprisingly cheap plastic base. I am very hopeful that this will perhaps smooth out some of the HF forwardness and tighten up the bass. This is a long way of saying that if you like the Clarities and are a DIY'er, you could have your cake and eat it too. Plus, it was announced earlier today that Tweeter will be shutting down a large number of stores, so I think we will be seeing the price on the Clarities drop a good bit.

That's good news! Would like to know how it turned out! I also have a logos center channel to hitch to my 3 channel Fisher X-1000 55w rms tube amp. I figure mounting it on the ceiling should take care of any sound stage height issues w my Clarity's. I use a Klipsch RW-12 sub, but want better bass from the speakers' 8in woofers...maybe a better driver is in order.

Took out the woofer...it has a very nice cast aluminum spyder and substantial magnet. I opened up a Klipsch speaker and found they use well placed 1" foam for damping, wood wedge corner and wood cross bracing. No cross bracing on ML, and loosely placed fiberglass matting. I think adding some weight, for mass loading, could also help. I don't think there is a question that the 8in driver is a quality piece. Execution of the cabinet, could be a large part lack of bass tautness. I do think the Clarity needs less power than some others mentioned. I am driving a pair w 42w rms Puresonic Quadramatic 410C. This amp has a volume control which allows me to use an Alesis Masterlink for CD's. I think it's all about; what is forward of these speaker's. I've had my Fischer X-1000, Scott 299D, Van Alstine Ultimate 70, Pilot 260A swapped in this configuration. With 181 damping factor, dual Mullard rectifier tubes, Telefunken long smooth plate 12AX7's and GE fat bottle 6AX7's, the Quadramatic sound stage is a thing of beauty w high end low end, superior to all mentioned. I would say the U70 has a warmer midrange that bring out that aspect of the Clarity. Things could change when I put matching 112 Puresonic tube preamp into play. Fisher needs some attention, but the added authority is there w 55w rms. Fisher is very musical, and should be wonderful in 3 channel mode. it has it's own preamp, being an integrated. Size and layout of listening room is a big factor..as well a WAF factor. It would be nice to be able to biwire or biamp a Clarity, but won't readily adapt..if at all. When I reason things out; I think purchasing a really great DAC for playing redbook CD's my next move. I do have a PCDJ, 160Meg dedicated hard drive w Ultra M DAC and Denon DN-500 mixer I can tie together w a Van Alstine modded Pat 5. Makes for a super juke box and capable DJ system. I guess I'm saying; there is more than one way to skin a cat. Everyone has design goals and different rooms and equipment, how you integrate all can bring a synergy that surpasses strength of singular components. Maybe I could it combonents? :music:

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the Clarities. In the right system they can be stunning. In fact they're so good I'd love to have them for a second system. The Clarities were the first Martin Logan I had really ever listened to for any length of time... I like 'em.

I think you hit the nail on the head...everyone who has listened to my set up, in my listening room, has been mesmorized by the Clarity. I put the Clarititys on slate slabs and angled them upward...it helps bass and raises sound stage. The sub I use is front firing w aluminum cone, combined w 340w rms BASH amp. I think it's relatively fast for being a 12in driver. I think a front firing port would have more dynamic punch in the Clarity. I will stiffen the bass cabinet w cross bracing, and believe well placed 1in foam will improve bass response. I noted that Propylene caps are not listed on Clarity specs. I was at first disappointed that Clarity does not lend itself to bi-wire or bi-amping. However,...I will eventually be using a Logos center channel, and they won't bi-wire, either. I do find the NAC useful in my room. I do like titanium tweeters, the Logos has one and a 61/2in woofer, which may add some mid bass punch. The drawback for Logos is it needs 50w min. I have it covered w the powerhouse tube Fisher X-1000 w 55w rms The center channel feature integrates the 3 speakers. It will be a while before I get my Fisher back, and would be much more in a room 20ft wide opposed to the 10ft I have now. I am completely sold on tube amps for ML's Bass is at least an octive lower, but damping usually lacks, for tight bass. There are mods for tubes, for better damping, I may employ them on the Fisher. I do think the Clarity is a fine speaker, but always interested in how to improve it. Anyone with Clarities please pipe in w your mods!!

Last edited:
Hola...the design for the Clarity was more toward HT application. This does not mean that you can´t use them as a stereo only. On the other hand, the Aerius were made for stereo. The Clarity has the ability to be use with most HT amplifiers on the market, in other words, it is more friendly to use, the new microperf stators and a tweeter firing to the front wall, this new stators have about 50% of more diaphragm air exposure than the Aerius bigger stat panel. Many people here at the forum will say that they like better the Aerius, but I will recommend to you to listen both and choose the one that you like most. Trust your ears, and happy listening.
Roberto.
Actually the 1" dome tweeter fires straight up. This NAC feature is supposed to compensate when standing up and moving around from seated position. I only have a 7'10" high ceiling..maybe why I like this feature. I only have 10'ft width to deal with. I only play to moderate high levels w seated listening for the most part. I think the bass port is too small for really high amplitude. Hell, if I really want to rock out..then I'll wire up the Klipsch RF-83's, but a change of address would soon follow! No the Clarity is the speaker I can enjoy at low level, listening to the music...enjoying the music, not a party.

Alright ! I put a brace in the Clarity cabinet. It's broom handle size, braces edge of port also. Took out all fiberglass matting. Result: I was hoping for an improvement in upper midbass, and helped more than I thought it would. There was some deflection w the port before it was braced, and the faberglass matting muddled the sound. Voice is clearer/more revealed tighter bass response...it's so muddy, stock. Noticed that there is some boom in stock configururation. That's gone, but to some it may be mistaken as lower fullness...nope..it's part of that mud. Midbass should now blend in w sub much better. I will order up accoustic sheeting...there was no dampening material directly behind the driver! Midbass getting much cleaner..just what I was shooting for. I'll try it w sub today...then mod other Clarity. This sounds like a crossover mod..much cleaner.:music: Has anyone noticed that slightly rubberized sound in the midrange? That's what goes away. I need to do something about the plastic bass plate resonance..not sure what to do..needs mass added. I may stick some fiberglass matting in down there in the meantime. It's tighter, but lighter down low.

Last edited:
Saw this on Craig's list today: Central Fl.

PRICE IS FIRM

FOUR (4) MARTIN LOGAN AERIUS FOR $1,495.00 ONLY

YES, THEY COST $5,000.00

BE SERIOUS PLEASE. CALL # 4O77652O5O

I have Clarity now so this discussion was interesting.

Latest posts

Back