CJ Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Premier 18 is 100% solid state preamp. The Premier 14 is a tube based preamp. The 2 preamps will sound very different. I like a bit of glass in my Pre amps. This again is my taste.

Tubes, Pre-amp, Amp and remote

The Premier 18 is 100% solid state preamp. The Premier 14 is a tube based preamp. The 2 preamps will sound very different. I like a bit of glass in my Pre amps. This again is my taste.

I wonder when I need to replace the tubes? This is all new to me.
BTW all; I just hooked up the pre-amp today and all indications seem to point to a good purchase.:rocker:

The amp however (CJ 2000) has a busted loose speaker terminal. I took the cover off and a friend of mine is going to come and solder it back in place. I know some of you might be thinking "a bit dangerous" but the thing has been unplugged for about 2 years. I think any residule voltage should be long gone by now?
It would appear this is all that is a problem. I hope to have it up and running by the weekend. Will post later.
Any advice?
another BTW: I can purchase the original remote for $250:eek:, or $45:eek: for a plastic one. Any thoughts on why I should spend the extra $ for the original?

Thanks for all the input guys,:bowdown:
Doug - out

Shouldn't be any voltage left inside after about an hour or two so you will be ok...

As for the remote, depends on if you just want functionality, or the nicer looking remote. They both work equally well.

I'm always losing remotes, so I like the heftier one!!

No need to buy the beefy solid aluminum remote. Save the $200.00 and put that towards a new set of tubes. I think you will love the CJ sound as much as I do.

CJ Glee!

Just thought I would post again about my thoughts on the CJ Premiere 14.

The amount of detail and soundstaging I am now realizing with the Ascents is well beyond what I am accustom to. Voices hang there in the air between the speakers with more defined edges. Balance among instruments is different now. Some background parts are more visible and have more meaning. Imperfections in tone, attack and release for wind instruments are bit more clear, and we all know it is these small imperfections that give character to ones sound and approach.

I find myself longing for Fri. night when a good friend of mine will assist in the soldering for the amp. I'm having a hard time imagining this getting better.......................but now I have a thought that it could be.

Great advice from all the folks here. I will be ordering a remote from CJ tomorrow, and still not sure which one.:rolleyes:

Doug - out

And still no pictures of this wonderfull audio candy either here nor in your members system thread?!? I am disappointed in you Trumpet Doug - you know what picture whores we are around here.

I think Rich is rubbing off on you.

Preamp ?

Ok guys I always left my NAD preamp on all the time. Can I do the same with the CJ preamp?
And I always left my Threshold on all the time. Supposing that the amp works out, can I leave this on all the time also? I need to know what people do that have these tube products. My understanding is that both the amp and preamp are hybrid designs? So does that mean I could leave them on, or will this make it so I burn through tubes to quickly? Any advice here would be nice.

Doug - out

Doug,

Even though it is a hybrid the tubes will be on and if you can afford it you can leave it on. I believe there are four tubes in the Premier 14. This may or may not be expensive. It is your choice on this. I turn my tube stuff off when I am done and realize that when I turn it on it may be a bit before everything sounds incredible. Don't get me wrong it sounds good right away but only gets better when the tubes settle down to do their job in about 20 minutes or so.:music::D

BTW, my SS stuff stays on all the time.

Jeff:D

Pics.

And still no pictures of this wonderful audio candy either here nor in your members system thread?!? I am disappointed in you Trumpet Doug - you know what picture whores we are around here.

I think Rich is rubbing off on you.

Oh Pics will be coming of all. I am waiting for just a bit of time to be able to do so I am anxious to post pics of the interior of the CJ 2000 amp. There is some monstrous looking stuff in there. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will turn out well for the amp. Believe me pics will be coming as I enjoy looking and posting.

Doug - out

more ?

Doug,

Even though it is a hybrid the tubes will be on and if you can afford it you can leave it on. I believe there are four tubes in the Premier 14. This may or may not be expensive. It is your choice on this. I turn my tube stuff off when I am done and realize that when I turn it on it may be a bit before everything sounds incredible. Don't get me wrong it sounds good right away but only gets better when the tubes settle down to do their job in about 20 minutes or so.:music::D

BTW, my SS stuff stays on all the time.

Jeff:D

So does it "hurt" the tubes (in terms of lifespan or performance) to leave the equipment on or not. That is my big concern.

Doug,
I guess I was too subtle.;) For argument sake, lets say a tube has a life span of 100 hours. Leaving it on will not "hurt" the tube at all. If you use it 5 hours a day the tube will last 20 days. If you leave it on constantly then in about 4.16 days. Usually preamp and/or control type tubes used in preamps and some amps will last 1000's of hours. I have heard anywhere between 2000 and 5000 depending on what it is used for and the tube itself. What I would do is call Ed at CJ customer support (703) 698-8581 and ask him how long the tubes are typically expected to last in your preamp. At that point you can figure out what the time span will be.

I use my preamp about 1 to 4 hours a day depending on weekday or weekend day and I have not had an issue with the tubes after two years in preamp.

Hope that helps

Jeff:cool:

Thanks............................................ ...........................

..Jeff
I'm trying not to be to dense here. I just talked to Ed at CJ today. I could have floated these ? by him also. I really appreciate your input very much.

Doug - out

See below from the CJ web site.

Q. Should I leave my preamp/amp on all of the time?
A. To obtain maximum tube life, vacuum-tube products should be switched off when not in use. A good general rule for is that if you will not be listening for more than an hour, turn any tube component off. Conrad-Johnson solid-state preamps (including Sonographe and Motif), on the other hand, are designed to be left on at all times. We recommend switching power amps off when unattended and over night.

Q. How long do tubes last?
A. That varies depending on the type of tube, the number of hours of use and the type of use they have had. Typically tubes should last, on average, about 1500 hours before gradual degradation of performance becomes noticeable. This translates into two to three years if the unit is turned off when not in use. Usually tubes will continue to be functional for a long while after this, but sound quality will be reduced and noise levels will increase. In power amplifiers, the input tubes are most critical for sonic performance. If output tubes are not causing problems, they can be replaced every other time.

This is much easier on the tubes and your pocketbook.

Last edited:
Update

Preamp is wonderful
We soldered the speaker binding post on the amp Friday night, fired it up and it WORKED.

After making adjustments and moving the amp around, I believe we busted the solder joint loose. Probably my fault as I was cranking on the post pretty good in my final set-up adjustments. We will attempt to re-solder tomorrow (Mon) and see what we can do. This whole thing has been a hassle but based on a short listening session Fri. night I think it will be well worth the effort.
I will continue to post and update this week.
Doug - out

The "Problem" and the "Fix"

Thought I would finally post a pic or two of the Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000 amp. We had it "fixed" and it became "unfixed" shortly there after. We had a speaker post that had come loose and was not making a solid connection internally. The thing was a b-iotch to get to, but after 2 hrs of tedious work my friend Bryan got the job done. (notice in pic #2 he is really getting down to bizness.) I wil post some updated pics in my system thread soon.

Doug - out

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 80
I am curious as to what he is doing with a hammer. I have done all sorts of surgery to amplifiers, but have never needed a hammer !

Back