Check this out!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I attended Axpona, and heard the ML setup. It was nice, but didn't blow me away as I would have expected. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to linger and listen, as I had only a few hours to sample all the rooms. I would have preferred to hear two CLX's paired with a couple subs, as 5.5 surround sound isn't my cup of tea. Regardless, it was refreshing to see ML well represented at an Audiophile Show, and I certainly hope they will participate in others this year (I suggest RMAF, and the Toronto shows, at a minimum).

I attended Axpona, and heard the ML setup. It was nice, but didn't blow me away as I would have expected. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to linger and listen, as I had only a few hours to sample all the rooms. I would have preferred to hear two CLX's paired with a couple subs, as 5.5 surround sound isn't my cup of tea. Regardless, it was refreshing to see ML well represented at an Audiophile Show, and I certainly hope they will participate in others this year (I suggest RMAF, and the Toronto shows, at a minimum).

The need to make a symmetrically designed center-CLX (CCLX) because my brain hates asymmetry. No other reason than just for me - and my symmetrically compulsive brain.

Well I certainly would have liked to hear that setup, but im not so certain it would have sounded amazing. Did anyone read the Stereofile blip:
MartinLogan is famous for speakers that use electrostatic drivers—full-range or in combination with dynamic woofers—but they have more recently broadened their offerings to include non-electrostatic models. According to MartinLogan's Peter Soderberg, their aim is to produce speakers that approach the sound of their electrostatic models, but at a lower price and easier to drive. He says that this has become possible with their version of the Heil tweeter (the original Oskar Heil patent having expired). He did a comparison for me between their top-of-the-line electrostatic CLX ($25,000/pair), supplemented by the Depth 1 subwoofer ($2000), and the new Motion 40 ($1995), which uses the Folded Motion (aka Heil) tweeter, in both cases driven by Anthem's new class-D amplifier, top-of-the-line Conrad-Johnson preamp, with a laptop as source. With Patricia Barber singing "Norwegian Wood," the tonal balance of these physically very different speakers was surprisingly similar. Peter Soderberg is pictured here with the CLX and the Motion 40, after what must have been an exceptionally amusing quip on my part.

Well I certainly would have liked to hear that setup, but im not so certain it would have sounded amazing. Did anyone read the Stereofile blip:
MartinLogan is famous for speakers that use electrostatic drivers—full-range or in combination with dynamic woofers—but they have more recently broadened their offerings to include non-electrostatic models. According to MartinLogan's Peter Soderberg, their aim is to produce speakers that approach the sound of their electrostatic models, but at a lower price and easier to drive. He says that this has become possible with their version of the Heil tweeter (the original Oskar Heil patent having expired). He did a comparison for me between their top-of-the-line electrostatic CLX ($25,000/pair), supplemented by the Depth 1 subwoofer ($2000), and the new Motion 40 ($1995), which uses the Folded Motion (aka Heil) tweeter, in both cases driven by Anthem's new class-D amplifier, top-of-the-line Conrad-Johnson preamp, with a laptop as source. With Patricia Barber singing "Norwegian Wood," the tonal balance of these physically very different speakers was surprisingly similar. Peter Soderberg is pictured here with the CLX and the Motion 40, after what must have been an exceptionally amusing quip on my part.

Necro-stud... how are those Ampzillas sounding? Rockin' the abode are they?

Hey Todd! Well, lets see......In my system these amps clearly make the MBL 8011am sound wimpy and stale, period. The Ampzilla MKII out of the box have so much more depth, realizm and stage, dude I listen to a certain drum solo all the time, listened to it on many systems and I played it with 1 hour on the new amps and I heard the dude grunting, moaning etc in realtime efforts to keep up with his drum pattern, never heard anything like that with the MBL. It also has made my system much wider, voices and certain right/left elements are very defined as right/left with extreme detail while the center stage is as very real, very nice seperation! That leads into many other songs that again I am now re-discovering. Enjoying the system right now....yea!

Yeah......wish they'd do a Statement-CLX.

Most of us couldn't afford it, but it would certainly add to the kudos of the ML brand.

That - I think, is worth a lot.

Necrosuit:

Just saw your CLX's in the equipment list and they seemed rather closely spaced together. How do they sound in your room with that spacing between them? How far apart are they from each other and what's the width of your room? Sorry for peppering you with these questions but I have Spires in my room along side 11ft wide wall and finding it difficult to find the optimum placement between them and the side walls.

Yup, way to close together but between some room treatment and positioning, it sounds really good. the bigger room will be coming. Any way before I got the CLX I had the Spire and I too had issues getting them to image properly. My room width is 10ft.

Yup, way to close together but between some room treatment and positioning, it sounds really good. the bigger room will be coming. Any way before I got the CLX I had the Spire and I too had issues getting them to image properly. My room width is 10ft.

Have you talked Necro-dad into the basement remodel yet? :)

Completely agree TSV I cant handle single sub systems there is clearly something wrong with summed bottom octaves O No hope I dont start a Tizz!!!

Back