Cheapest but decent Speaker wire for QuestZ

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krell101

Reaction score
I recently moved to a new place and have to sacrifice my MIT cable 10ft and need at least 15ft. What would be a decent and the cheapest cable. I have an adcom 5 channel amp powering quest Z and cineam

Thanks in advance!

I would like to poke the bee hive

I own 2 spires 2 clarity's and one stage in my ht. I use a lexicon pre pro mc-8> rotel1095 I personally only use regular 10 or 12 guage I forget wich. it is really thick wire! I think the dealer is home av cables? from texas. I have never heard a dif in these "high quility cables" I have had many post about this and do not wish to get into it again.I would go for thick guage and nice stranded wire and you will be fine. I think mine came in a 500ft roll I have cut many lenths for freinds of mine and still have a lot.

don't wast your money go for thick and many strands!

I would look for solid CORE Litz type design. In my experience they sound best with stats!

?

Hi Chris,

I would look for solid CORE Litz type design. In my experience they sound best with stats!

hm, I'm missing something here: isn't the litz just the opposite of the solid core?

Ciao!

Paolo

I own 2 spires 2 clarity's and one stage in my ht. I use a lexicon pre pro mc-8> rotel1095 I personally only use regular 10 or 12 guage I forget wich. it is really thick wire! I think the dealer is home av cables? from texas. I have never heard a dif in these "high quility cables" I have had many post about this and do not wish to get into it again.I would go for thick guage and nice stranded wire and you will be fine. I think mine came in a 500ft roll I have cut many lenths for freinds of mine and still have a lot.

don't wast your money go for thick and many strands!

Did you ever get around to auditioning power cables to see if you heard a difference there?

Did you ever get around to auditioning power cables to see if you heard a difference there?
I have listend to audio cables but no different power cables. one of the staff at barrets told me I could take some home and give them a try but I just have to many other things to do.

I second that e-notion!

Hi Chris,hm, I'm missing something here: isn't the litz just the opposite of the solid core? Ciao! Paolo
Paolo is right because Litz involves fine strands-into-bigger-strands-into-bigger strands. With Wikipedia and Google now at out disposal, the world of correct information is always at our fingertips! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

Krell, first, let me say that your MIT's good as they are in most applications, now we are beginning to find that low capacitance cable helps optimize stat performance. That is where the solid core (or at least the minimum strands) idea comes from, since it's inherently very low capacitance. HOWEVER, to reap the advantages of solid core, single or 6 or 8 (fairly thick) conductor twisted cable, without producing a lot of inductance between the hot and ground pairs, they need to be separated into two separately jacketed runs and kept a couple inches apart. One company I know that has always pursued this approach (not necessarily just for electrostats) is Virtual Dynamics http://virtualdynamics.ca/ and I am just about to test their mid-priced product. I just finished testing Purist's new SC cable and they outclassed my Purist Venustas enough to get my attention.

But first, I'd recommend you try a nifty and inexpensive DIY alternative by going to home depot and getting four fifteen foot lengths of their insulated ground hookup wire.It's basically 3 to 6 copper wires twisted together in an insulation jacket. Probably set you back $1/foot or so plus terminations. I'll bet they'll sound better than the MIT's ;)

Last edited:
I recently moved to a new place and have to sacrifice my MIT cable 10ft and need at least 15ft. What would be a decent and the cheapest cable. I have an adcom 5 channel amp powering quest Z and cineam

Thanks in advance!

Let your ears be the judge!

If you wnt to REALLY go on the cheap, but get surprisingly good sound, go to a Lowes or Home Depot, and get a spool of 12ga or 10ga outdoor grade low-voltage wire, the kind you use to wire up landscape lights. This stuff is a real sleeper in the cable world. You can actually get this in 12, 10, 0r 8ga, so it might take a few attempts to find the size that suits your ears best.

I've heard in several rigs using ribbons and on my little Scenarios, and it's pretty good. Not MIT, Nordost, or Synergetics good, but a FAR cry better than most anything else in the under $50/foot range. And it costs under $1/ft...

Any schmuck with a fat wallet can walk into an audio boutique and find good cables for $500+/meter. But it takes real SKILL to find good speaker cables for less than the price of a case of imported beer...:cheers:

--Richard

The Home Depot 12 ga. is surprisingly good for the money.

Blue Jeans cable isn't bad either and it's terminated for you...

Back