Changed direction

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it to be more dependent on mastering.

I've heard great digital and great vinyl, (and am heavily invested in both) but most days, it's a lot easier to drop a CD on and push play...

Mastering - yeah some early CDs were dreadful. And some vinyl pressings aren't good either.

I find it very nearly as easy to play an LP as a CD. You take it out of it's cover (like a CD), put it on the player (in for a CD), and queue the stylus (press play for a CD).

The bit I find really hard about vinyl is finding the album I want to play. Now that's hard:)!

The library of vinyl in this house consists of 1 garage sale record bought for me by one of the kids. It probably would pull the stylus off on the first revolution! Our CD collection is not as vast as some but meets our needs and is always being added to.

Thanks for your appreciation. Be aware that young kids and high end record players can be a problem!

I'll have to be honest, if I hadn't grown up with records there's no way I'd have invested in a good TT. I don't think I would have the leap of faith required - I'd think anyone who thought vinyl could sound better than a CD was probably an idiot. Unless I heard a demo that proved otherwise, of course.

Anyway - enjoy the Macs! Sounds like you are really pleased.

I find it very nearly as easy to play an LP as a CD. You take it out of it's cover (like a CD), put it on the player (in for a CD), and queue the stylus (press play for a CD).

that's hard:)!

You know !:rolleyes:Now that I think of it I actually have to make the exact steps to listen to a CD with my top loader.
1. open lid
2. Pick up clamp
3. Set clamp down
4. Remove CD into holder.
5. Insert CD
6. Put CD clamp on
7. Close lid

Minus the setting of the stylus I guess I'm there a while too:cool:

It's ceremonial, hey, CAP? The more ritualistic, the better...:bowdown:

Oh yeah - I forgot about my clamp - but then again you have one too!

Justin, you forgot about cleaning the record and stylus. I always at least do a swift spin using the Discwasher to pick up dust, and now that I have an Onzow stylus cleaner I use that as well.

Yeah - just not on the ball today, Bernard! I usually do use a carbon fibre brush - but most times I am sure it isn't really necessary - my stylus never seems to gather dust!

but most times I am sure it isn't really necessary - my stylus never seems to gather dust!

I would be quite shocked if that were true Justin, my guess is you don't have one of these superb little brushes, for if you did my bet is you would be surprised what crud it can pick off your stylus !

Attachments

• S-ATE-SB.jpg
    S-ATE-SB.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 48
Now I really should be in bed but I don't have to get up tomorrow... and this will probably sound a bit beyond belief - but there's no dust build up on the Orpheus - it just doesn't happen, and I don't really know why! Must be the stylus profile or something.

My Ortofon MC5000 used to pick up shed loads, and it is exactly a brush like that that relieved it of it's tip! So be wary when you use 'em.

I still have the brush, BTW. And yes, I have used it on the Orpheus a few times. But only because I felt I needed to - possibly out of habit rather than any real need due to dust build up etc.

Do you use a fluid with yours, Dave?

Justin, you forgot about cleaning the record and stylus. I always at least do a swift spin using the Discwasher to pick up dust, and now that I have an Onzow stylus cleaner I use that as well.

I rarely clean my records before playing them, as I go to great length to ensure they don't get dirty in the first place. I clean my stylus when it needs to be cleanen, every few records or so (unless I play an older, used record that should've been cleaned).

I rarely clean my records before playing them, as I go to great length to ensure they don't get dirty in the first place. I clean my stylus when it needs to be cleanen, every few records or so (unless I play an older, used record that should've been cleaned).

Once you hear a record cleaned with a good fluid and RCM you'll never go back, never! It is actually one of the most amazing improvements in audio. The change in noise floor, even on quiet albums is stunning. Add to that the added warmth and detail retrieval, increase in bass response and the dreaded "musicality" and a truly clean record is a joy to behold and beheard.

Do you use a fluid with yours, Dave?

No Justin I do not. I do though use Stylast cleaner and treatment. I also have the Zerodust that Bernard mentioned, Tim actually turned me on to this little gem last year, works quite well.

FWIW, I didn't mean to be an alarmist with respect to the dust thing, but I do notice from time to time that little brush will pick up some grunge and I'm mighty anal when it comes to my record care.

Once you hear a record cleaned with a good fluid and RCM you'll never go back, never! It is actually one of the most amazing improvements in audio. The change in noise floor, even on quiet albums is stunning. Add to that the added warmth and detail retrieval, increase in bass response and the dreaded "musicality" and a truly clean record is a joy to behold and beheard.

I don't disbelieve you, which is why a nice record cleaning machine is high on my list of upgrades! :)

Another tip is to buy from a 2nd hand record shop that cleans it's records before sale.

I am tempted by one of these Clearaudios... you can buy a lot of clean 2nd hand vinyl for the price, though.

Attachments

• clearaudiosmart.jpg
    clearaudiosmart.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 45
Back