Center opinion? Encore TF vs Motion 6?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gainiac

Reaction score
After dilligently working my search button, :D I was unable to find any specific posts comparing the two... I've looked at the specs on the ML site and nothings really jumping off the page at me, the dynamic range perhaps?... Since the Encores are available for such a great price I was considering returning my Motion 6 for an Encores' better price break, but then occured to me as I'm using the Motion 4's up front and have a set of 2's coming for the surrounds, that I might want to stay with the 6 for the motion tweeter and better timbre and balance up front? Any opinions??
Thanks!

After dilligently working my search button, :D I was unable to find any specific posts comparing the two... I've looked at the specs on the ML site and nothings really jumping off the page at me, the dynamic range perhaps?... Since the Encores are available for such a great price I was considering returning my Motion 6 for an Encores' better price break, but then occured to me as I'm using the Motion 4's up front and have a set of 2's coming for the surrounds, that I might want to stay with the 6 for the motion tweeter and better timbre and balance up front? Any opinions??
Thanks!

Hola...this is my liking only. I would choose the Encore with ATF tech. Why? Well, it has more lower mid-range and my ears liked. Highs are very good. Perhaps here the new Motion series is a little better, so I would consider the model 8 instead model 6. The new motion tweeter is very good. If you can have the chance to listen both, choose the one that you liked more. The Encore is a little more expensive than the Motion 8. But this does not tell us nothing. Quality is the clue, right?... The ATF technology moves as an electrostatic speaker. I hope this can help. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola...this is my liking only. I would choose the Encore with ATF tech. Why? Well, it has more lower mid-range and my ears liked. Highs are very good. Perhaps here the new Motion series is a little better, so I would consider the model 8 instead model 6. The new motion tweeter is very good. If you can have the chance to listen both, choose the one that you liked more. The Encore is a little more expensive than the Motion 8. But this does not tell us nothing. Quality is the clue, right?... The ATF technology moves as an electrostatic speaker. I hope this can help. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto,

I was hoping to find a local dealer that has both the Encore and the Motion, but so far no luck yet... Its difficult to get solid information on the Motion series pieces as I guess they are too new and not necessary for most of the heavyweight systems around here. My goal down the road is to move the motions around the room as surrounds and add a pair of Source up front, but with my small budget this is going to take a while...
Thanks again for the reply!

H

Thanks Roberto,

I was hoping to find a local dealer that has both the Encore and the Motion, but so far no luck yet... Its difficult to get solid information on the Motion series pieces as I guess they are too new and not necessary for most of the heavyweight systems around here. My goal down the road is to move the motions around the room as surrounds and add a pair of Source up front, but with my small budget this is going to take a while...
Thanks again for the reply!

H

You will like that very much. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hello,
While I think that the Encore is a better Speaker, I really think you are best off using the same High Frequency Transducer for your Mains and Center Channel. Having a Timbre Match of the Front Stage really is considered essential for the most seamless HT.

Since you are using Motion 4's, I really think you are best off with the Motion Center Channel which uses the identical Folded Motion Transducer. I would call Martin Logan and ask for their thoughts. I would guess they would say the same as what I am.
Cheers,
JJ

Roberto, Jack, I want to thank you, you guys were both a big help! I committed and put the 4's in the rear, a motion 8 up front and a set of Motion 12's LR (had a sony 12" powered sub) and it sounds great in here! I'm about 7 ft from the fronts so it's explosive in here for HT or games... Jack, good call on the FMT's balancing the system, the front end transitions are seamless and just blends right thru.. I was initially very suprised after running Audssey on my Denon that it set the 12's to large (which I corrected) and ran the crossovers at 60hz!! it also set the dB quite low, (-5 was the highest) but after I bumped the dB's respectively and brought the 12's to 80hz and the center to 120hz and pushed them thru break-in they sound terrific... I'd prolly like a little more in dynamics on the center, but overall this has been a great setup for what I can currently afford. Although,... I could put the 4's in the sides, the 12's in the rear, and some ESL's up front.... LMAO the disease never stops, does it??? Thanks again for your help!

Back