CD Players $1000 - $2500

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I started a thread asking for your recommendations for CDPs under $1000 and got great responses from many of you. Some of the recommendations were to buy more expensive units on a used basis for this same price range.

The more I think about it, the more I am intrigued by this idea. Perhaps I should save a little longer to get a CDP that is significantly better than my original price range. Now that I have a pair of Vantages, I can see that my source needs upgrading.

Some of you recommended the Ayre CX-7e, Classe CDP-10 and Naim CD 5i as great units that when purchased used. Any other recommendations and comments for new/used CDPs within this price range?

Thanks!

Rick

You can do like I did and others, like Erik (Eknuds01). Buy something like a new Sony (9100 ESS) or Denon (3910) player for around $500-$600 new. Then spend $500 - $2500 on Mods and have a far superior player to a stock player costing 2-3 times more.

What is the biggest problem people "seem" to have with modded players? Hearing them before buying it. But with SO MANY very satisfied customers and glowing reviews of modded players outperforming stock players 2-3 times the cost, there is really no concern.

There are few posts here on the site for well respected modders.

I second Dan's opinion. I think my modded player runs circles around many players in the $1000-1200 price range.

I got my player done through Paul Weitzel and he's modified over 800 players to date.

Hi Everyone,

I started a thread asking for your recommendations for CDPs under $1000 and got great responses from many of you. Some of the recommendations were to buy more expensive units on a used basis for this same price range.

The more I think about it, the more I am intrigued by this idea. Perhaps I should save a little longer to get a CDP that is significantly better than my original price range. Now that I have a pair of Vantages, I can see that my source needs upgrading.

Some of you recommended the Ayre CX-7e, Classe CDP-10 and Naim CD 5i as great units that when purchased used. Any other recommendations and comments for new/used CDPs within this price range?

Thanks!

Rick

What you can do now is purchase an excellent used player like the Rega and start enjoing great sound today. When you save more money, you can upgrade. The mentioned used players hold their value pretty well and you will not lose much money, if at all, if you sell your unit.

Upgrading to the next level is well worth it. There is something about that $3K price point (approx. $2K used) where the sound is much more refined and enjoyable.

Ayre CX 7e and Naim CD 5x are the best choices at that level. When you go up from this price point, the sound is definitely better, but you start hitting the law of diminishing returns, IMO. The $6K Ayre is definitely better than the $3K Ayre (it may arguably be the best one box CD player on the planet), but the gap is much narrower than the gap between the Cx7e and the Rega or a similarly priced unit.

You can also do the modded route, and many people swear by them. However, as mentioned, you may not be able to audition. If you feel good about making a purchase based on some else's abstractly described opinion vs. listening and choosing for yourself in your own system, go for it.

However, if the unit is not your cup of tea for some reason, you may take a financial hit. The resale values of the modded players are signigicantly lower than the unmodded players because the warrantee is usually voided.

Good Luck

I have heard and am sold on a modded Denon DVD 2910, which is now 2930 CI. I'm purchasing one soon and will have the mods done.

Ive been hearing so much good stuff in the 2-3000 range these days, I don't know if I'd bother with a modded player...

Two years ago, maybe, but most of the mfrs have really made a big jump again.

The Rega Saturn is excellent, the Ayre CX7 is very good and we are getting the new Prima Luna all tube CD player next week, so who knows, that could be killer too! We'll let you know!

Good luck on the search....

The Rega Saturn is excellent, the Ayre CX7 is very good and we are getting the new Prima Luna all tube CD player next week, so who knows, that could be killer too! We'll let you know!

I tried out the Rega Saturn and the Ayre CX7 at my dealers showroom. I also tried out the McIntosh MCD 201. I bought the Rega Saturn but it didn't work with my Mcintosh equipment as well as I hoped. The Ayre was a little bright for my tastes. I exchanged the Rega Saturn for the McIntosh MCD 201 as it was the most analog sounding to my ears. All of these units are great and picking one was just a matter of personal taste.
Jim

I highly recommend that you add this to your shortlist...

The McCormack UDP1-Deluxe or its twin the McCormack UDP-1 Conrad Johnson Edition (champaign faceplate and traditional Conrad Johnson logo).

The sound of this unit is stunning and a genuine alternative to top-flight vinyl rigs costing tens of thousands of dollars.

I believe the price for a new unit is $3500 and slightly more for the one with the Conrad Johnson-faceplate. A used one is $2200-$2500.

Beware, this is NOT the same unit as the regular UDP-1. The "Deluxe" version is in a class by itself, sonically. By the way, because the innards are chuck full of the Conrad Johnson Caps, the break-in period is rather lengthly. It really needs a solid 100 hours of play time before it comes into its own.

Read All About IT!
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue24/mccormack.htm

Cheers,
Ray

Attachments

• McCormack_Deluxe.jpg
    McCormack_Deluxe.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 267
Upgrading to the next level is well worth it. There is something about that $3K price point (approx. $2K used) where the sound is much more refined and enjoyable. When you go up from this price point, the sound is definitely better, but you start hitting the law of diminishing returns, IMO.

I agree with this statement. The relationship between your room and better electronics also enter in the equation. Better speakers such as the Summits and Vantages bring out these refinements. Trust your ears to find what is best in your room.
Jim

"The McCormack UDP1-Deluxe or its twin the McCormack UDP-1 Conrad Johnson Edition (champaign faceplate and traditional Conrad Johnson logo).

The sound of this unit is stunning and a genuine alternative to top-flight vinyl rigs costing tens of thousands of dollars."

The modded Denon DVD 2910 at about $2200.00 destroys the McCormack.

The modded Denon DVD 2910 at about $2200.00 destroys the McCormack.

A rather bold statement that I doubt very....very...much !! "Destroys", come on, it may sound better to your ears , but as Tonepub said, once one travels into the 2-3k realm differences are rather subtle. As for myself I have not heard either player but wager that a blind listening test would NOT be as dramatic as you think.

A rather bold statement that I doubt very....very...much !! "Destroys", come on, it may sound better to your ears
Agree with you on this one Twich. But we know from other posts that SundayNiagra is very biased on his preferences of equipment and feels they are the best.

I have heard the McCormack compared to my modded Sony player. The McCormack is a very nice sounding unit as I said in my post in the thread link below. I wish I had also heard the Deluxe to see the differences between the Deluxe and Regular model.

See post #24 for my comparisons of my modded Sony versus the Standard McCormack.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=4359&page=2&highlight=mccormack

I still believe the Modded Player route, with one of the "well known" modders out there, will out perform a stock player of the same price especially in the 2-3k range. But again this is my opinion. There are many professional and amature reviews and other posts out there which agree with me. Get out and listen when you can, as sometimes another audiophile in your area will have a modded player and would welcome a visit from someone interested in the modded route.

Dan

RE: Modded players, Agree! This is what makes the UDP-1 Deluxe .....

a very appealing alternative.

The UDP-1 deluxe is a factory-sanctioned, performed, and warranteed modification.

For the cost of $500 (or is it $550?), Conrad Joihnson will take any stock UDP-1 and apply all of the modifications, enhancements, badgework, and new serial number, and transforms it to a UDP-1 Deluxe.

This is something a typical modder cannot provide, a full factory warranty.

As far as the comment re:The modded Denon, I cannot say either way. I steer clear of commenting on equipment I have not heard myself.

In the latest side-by-side comparison that I have had with the McCormack, it significantly out-classed the Rega Saturn in every way. However, the Rega is $2500 new. The McCormack is that price on the used market, but it is $3500 new. Still the Rega is a very good player at a good price. As a lover of analog, I found the Rega to be way too much on the cooler and sharper side of the sound spectrum. The McCormack is smoother, quieter, and richer in sound, with uncanny explosive dynamics. In the end, it is all a matter of personal preference. We all have electrostatic speakers here, so we all know that nothing escapes their scrutiny :D

Cheers,
Ray

Agree with you on this one Twich. But we know from other posts that SundayNiagra is very biased on his preferences of equipment and feels they are the best.

I have heard the McCormack compared to my modded Sony player. The McCormack is a very nice sounding unit as I said in my post in the thread link below. I wish I had also heard the Deluxe to see the differences between the Deluxe and Regular model.

See post #24 for my comparisons of my modded Sony versus the Standard McCormack.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=4359&page=2&highlight=mccormack

I still believe the Modded Player route, with one of the "well known" modders out there, will out perform a stock player of the same price especially in the 2-3k range. But again this is my opinion. There are many professional and amature reviews and other posts out there which agree with me. Get out and listen when you can, as sometimes another audiophile in your area will have a modded player and would welcome a visit from someone interested in the modded route.

Dan

Cary Audio CDP1

Haven't heard any of the "modded" CD players or the Rega, etc. discussed in this thread.

I've had this unit (retail $2K) for 8 months and am very pleased with the performance. To my ears, the "upsampling" feature is well worthwile and lets one fine tune tonality along with soundstage dimensionality.

If you have a chance, you might try an audition. The only issue one needs to be aware of is break-in time. My dealer, Ron Hendrick / Marigo Audio, recommends 500 hours, which to the extent possible, I was able to confirm.

I do believe, as some have stated, that the competition is quite large in this price / point range and one's personal preference (everything else being equal) may well be ultimately influenced by your listening room.

GG

Last edited:
"I still believe the Modded Player route, with one of the "well known" modders out there, will out perform a stock player of the same price especially in the 2-3k range. But again this is my opinion. There are many professional and amature reviews and other posts out there which agree with me. Get out and listen when you can, as sometimes another audiophile in your area will have a modded player and would welcome a visit from someone interested in the modded route."

I've been fortunate enough to hear both the modded Denon AND the standard UDP-1 and you can save $1300.00 and come out way ahead. As for the deluxe version, I haven't heard it. I'll be glad to do a shootout with anyone who lives in South Florida. Ray? Ray knows where the Denon mods are done as he and I have met before.

I wish mfr's such as McCormack would build just the deluxe versions of their equipment, as it creates confusion for the prospective buyer. And then, how about the dealer who is trying to upsell the customer to the deluxe version and get's the standard answer: I want to hear it first. Should the dealer carry a dual inventory. These things do cost money, the mfr doesn't send it for an audition.

We've met?

When did we meet? Was it at the Lawrence, Kansas meet?

Who does the Denon mods?
I'm definitely not opposed to a Denon vs. UDP-1 Deluxe shoot-out.

Let me know....

Back