cats and martin logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am considering getting a cat... but I am wondering what the fur will do to my martin logans... will it get sucked into the stators?

Please let me know if the Cat does get sucked into

the stators, there are quite a few strays in my area and it

would give me a good excuse to keep a pair in the yard.

Wow, this thread is gowing faster than a hairball in a cats throat. I have had MLs for 13 years and have had cats all during that time. Fur is not any more a problem than dust. So if you vaccuum the panels regularly that should do it. Although I have never actually seen cat hair sticking to my panels. The only issue is if you get a cat that likes to climb things or is un-neutered and sprays. Assuming you get one with claws or has a spraying problem you can use a Scat Mat which when strategically placed near your logans will discourage any dog, cat, or human being from walking near or laying next to your Logans. They are relatively cheap and can be placed on the floor or on furniture and they really train your cat or dog, or kid fast:D

Repeat, do not get cat if you have hifi....

Cats like to pee inside amplifiers - Bad
Cats like to play with tonearms having expensive cartridges - Bad
Cat fur inside your CD player, turntable, etc - Bad

I love my next door neighbors cat, I just don't let him in the
house...

I have had cats for as long as I have owned audio equipment. I never had any issues with our cats, and with proper training you will not have any issues either.

This topic has been covered before here, so search for further information.

house...

A little training is all that is necessary. Set the boundaries and don't allow them to be crossed. If you want to be really paranoid, don't allow the cat in the listening room unsupervised. Simple really!! Or close the door when you're not in there (if you can).

I've only ever had a dog, but he knows the listening room is for listening with "daddy" or having a quiet snooze - definitely NOT for playing with toys! Never had an issue.

I have 2 cats and they couldn't care less about the speakers. Only once did one of them jump up on the "interface box" behind the stator of my right speaker. It was busy grab-assing with the other cat, so it forgot its' manners for a couple seconds.

After a stern warning, the cat has never gone up there again. Now the acoustic panels... they kinda like them :mad:. But I think that a cat is still a very good pet. They are exceedingly clean, neat, and can look after themselves if I need to leave town for a couple days.... Much easier to care for than dogs.

~VDR

Last edited:
What was I thinking, Jeff is right, don't get a cat or a dog or a goat, or a wife or especailly a kid, kids do all that stuff plus they spill things and puke up way more stuff than cats.;)

house...

Jeff, you seem like such a good guy!

But, hey, its an easy trap to get into in letting the cats train their people, instead of the other way around.:D

Once they think they are getting the upper hand, it can be really tough to turn around. Believe me, I know...:eek:

What was I thinking, Jeff is right, don't get a cat or a dog or a goat, or a wife or especailly a kid, kids do all that stuff plus they spill things and puke up way more stuff than cats.;)

Definitely - kids are the worst. They put their sticky, greasy disease ridden fingers all over your components!

Wives run vacuum cleaners into the side of your 'Logans.

You could really get so paranoid you need a desert island. You need to live a little.

Get the cat and keep it properly trained. That is for the benefit of you, the hi-fi system AND THE CAT!

yeah I still can not get over the fact that the guy at pass labs told me a common problem is can **** in amplifiers :eek: could you imagine if one of your cat's squirted urine into you beloved amp I guess they like the warmth its kind of like being in a hot tub I guess.

Well, I'll be laughing when one of you guys posts that your cat peed inside your amplifier...

:)

I'll be laughing too because it's a sign of poor training and irresponsible pet ownership - nothing more.

Seriously - pets are the most wonderful things on earth. But they come with responsibility. Part of that is training and setting boundaries, but in return you get a loyal and loving companion. What I strongly object to is people getting pets then deciding it's not for them. Do your research first! It's a living animal - not an object like an amplifier that can be put on the 'Gon and exchanged for something else!

Well, I'll be laughing when one of you guys posts that your cat peed inside your amplifier...

:)

My cats don't jump up on any of my (Hi-Fi:D) equipment. Of course, I may be one of those increasingly rare folks who does not situate my amps on (or nearly on) the floor.

Although I am sure that it must somehow improve the listening experience...:rolleyes:

Go ahead and get the cat..
Get a scratching post, rub catnip on it and train it to use the post.. mine absolutely loves her scratching post and has torn the first one to shreds.. no problem with furniture or anything else. Just replace posts, its cheap.
Get a good quality caw clipper. Brush him/her often; they love it.
Do not dewclaw.. it's cruel..
Vaccum often.

I haven't had any problems with fur on the speakers nor my cat trying to climb up on then. The worst thing I've had is that my previous cat liked to chew cables. What work for me is wrapping the exposed cables in pipe insulation and this worked well.

Enjoy the cat and enjoy the speakers, they can co-exist well!

4 pairs of ML's in the house, 4 cats, no problems. My Siamese has always slept on my Rowland and cats do not pee on their bed! They will slap tonearms though so you must cover turntables.

Last edited:
We've got a cat. De-clawed on the front. Never noticed fur on the panels, but I do have to chase it away from "pawing" the front woofer covers.

I should note that the cat likes to lay on top of my amps when they're warm.

Real problem I have is our cat likes to chew on my cables! :mad: Can get really expensive....and one of these days she's gonna bite into a hot one. I use to incase my cables in plastic tubing and spray the bitter-apple stuff. More recently I've upgraded to Groneberg TS Premium cables, which are housed in a tough plastic jacket...no more chewing.

Several cats, no problems.

Cats do like to get on top of things, nothing is too high.

One cat likes to sit on the bass enclosure of the Aerius, I put a die cast Porsche 911 model there and it's no longer an issue. I forget what's on the other one, but it's not something she can sit on.

Back