Cary SLP-5 vs Audio Research LS26 Pre Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoy

Reaction score
I am an MLC newbie, and I have a few questions in changing my system from a HT set up to a 2 channel system. I have Odyssey pushed with a McIntosh MC-402 amp. I am running the system with 2 JL Audio 113 subs. It is my understanding that I can have the cleanest sound by using the balanced in and outs on my preamp/amp/subwoofers. This is the first that I have looked at running a balanced system.

Here are my questions:

I am looking to create a very musical system, and if I were to lean one way or the other, I would say I like the system to be on the slightly "warm side".

Has anyone compared these 2 preamps in a system similar to mine?

Also if I want to run a balanced line for each channel to both my amp and directly to the Sub, does that give the advantage to the LS-26 since it has dual xlr outputs on it?

Thanks

I think having 2 JL Audio 113 subs for a dedicated 2CH systen is over kill. I had the Odysseys and used just one 15" sub and still use it with my Summit Xs.

if I were to lean one way or the other, I would say I like the system to be on the slightly "warm side".

Has anyone compared these 2 preamps in a system similar to mine?

Also if I want to run a balanced line for each channel to both my amp and directly to the Sub, does that give the advantage to the LS-26 since it has dual xlr outputs on it?

Thanks

without question if 'warmth' is your thing the Cary will provide it, the ARC is much closer to neutral. limited tube rolling possibiliies with the LS-26 will keep you from achieving anything close to the Cary in so far as warmth. With that being said I prefer the LS-26 since in my opinion I find the Cary to slighty over emphasize the mids. Yes I've compared the two and I curently am running the LS-26.

With regards to the balanced situation that is up for discussion on all things relative......cable length, balance amp config, etc.

Having heard both, but only the SLP-05 in my system, I agree with Dave. The Cary is the warmer of the two. Having heard many of the Cary and ARC preamps, those characteristics seem to consistent throughout the respective product lines.

Last edited:
Back