Cary SLP-05?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I know, I know. Joey V has one. Does anybody else? What have you auditioned it against? I am REALLY considering one. Any help is greatly appreciated. How good is it?

thanks-

I have one and i love it...I have compared it with Halcro DM-8,Halo C1,Classe,AR REF3 and with the Jadis.After all these comparisons i bought one for my system.

I have one and i love it...I have compared it with Halcro DM-8,Halo C1,Classe,AR REF3 and with the Jadis.After all these comparisons i bought one for my system.

But hold on!! Isn't everyone considering this pre??? :)

very nice comparisons... No phono stage on this right? Also - could you possibly discuss the diffs you heard?? I know...bloom....air.....blah blah....blah... But it would be helpful - if you can recall :D

It will be interesting to see if Michael's new products are more reliable than the CP products were.

I've both owned and sold Counterpoint equipment and the pre-amps were very reliable. The amps were a different story as they could die a most spectacular death. The Aria gear certainly appears better built, with better parts quality.

Tried the Cary SLP-05 in my system after trying the Cary SLP-98 and Audio Research LS17. Since it is priced well above those two it should perform much better... and it did. Very dynamic, well balanced soundstage lots of bloom on the notes.

Tried the Cary SLP-05 in my system after trying the Cary SLP-98 and Audio Research LS17. Since it is priced well above those two it should perform much better... and it did. Very dynamic, well balanced soundstage lots of bloom on the notes.

My problem is this -- It seems to be difficult to A/B a pre amp in many locations. I have a sunfire pre - and when I have changed from 1 pre to another (an old carver) - the differences ....well, I felt were minimal. I know - made by the same guy - but one was completely analog and the other was not. I heard a 'slight' diff - but not a jaw dropping 'WOW- THIS IS INCREDIBLE' difference.

I guess the question would be - If I slid the SLP-05 in place of the sunfire ... would it be a jaw dropping incredible difference?

I have done similar tests with my denon 5900 vs a Wadia and a APL 3910 all digital mod player. And with the Wadia - it was 'Oh, I can tell there is a difference - and the Wadia does sound better.... but 8 grand better???' And with the APL 3910 - it was more like 'Oh, this sounds better.....I think.....maybe.....or is it the volume output difference?'

Is a pre change going to be bigger than this in all of your relative opinions?

Is a pre change going to be bigger than this in all of your relative opinions?

I think it really depends on the rest of your system and the room the system is in. If you have top-notch speakers, amps and source and if the room is acoustically treated, then I think it is very easy to hear big differences between preamps. I believe I can hear pretty big differences between preamps in my system, at least when there are big differences to be heard. If you compare two similar high quality preamps, you may not hear big differences.

But if you can't hear jaw-dropping differences between a Denon and a Wadia source played direct to the amp, it may be that something is lacking elsewhere in your system. Remember, a good preamp shouldn't change the sound that much; it should just pass the signal through from the source. The purest form of that is a straight wire, which is what the Wadia direct to the amp is.

If you don't have any acoustic treatments in your room, and you are looking for a jaw-dropping "wow, this is incredible" difference in sound, then I recommend investing in quality acoustic treatments before spending a bunch of money upgrading your preamp.

Another factor that I believe Rich alluded to is how "finely tuned" your system is. By this, I mean that all contributing factors (cables, speaker position, vibration attenuation, etc.) are set up to perform at the "optimum" thereby allowing one to hear even miniscule changes. As I'm sure you know, the preamp is a key component in the "chain" that dramatically impacts the final sound you will hear from your system.

IMHO, if you can't hear the difference in sound when you swap out the preamp, something else (not good) is going on.

Good luck with your venture.

GG

But if you can't hear jaw-dropping differences between a Denon and a Wadia source played direct to the amp, it may be that something is lacking elsewhere in your system. Remember, a good preamp shouldn't change the sound that much; it should just pass the signal through from the source. The purest form of that is a straight wire, which is what the Wadia direct to the amp is.

Clarification - the compare on the wadia was a/b'd thru a pre-amp (sunfire tg III). The speakers were Von Schweikert VR-4s - and I can't quite recall the amp - but it was of high quality. I did notice a diff on the sound - and I would say the difference was as follows: The SACD on the Denon was just about equal to the CD on the Wadia. The Wadia definitely sounded better - but, I would say the Denon 'held its own'. We did go direct with the Wadia as well - and noticed a slight (better)diff. The sunfire did not add much at all to the sound and was brought in to ease the A/Bing of the two. Maybe just a slight hint of warmth - but that is about it.

My system is as follows: Odysseys/Sunfire TG III / Sunfire Sig Grand in a bi-amp config/Denon 5900. I have Audioquest Bedrock speaker cable & copperhead inter-connects So, that would be my system

I am the last person to fall for minor changes or placebo. If I upgrade and spend my hard-earned money, I'd like to know it was for something tangible.

I have compared the 05 vs the 98 in the same room. In that same trend, I compared the entire Rogue current pre line up (except Hera) vs the 98... and the Rotel RC1070 somewhere along the line, too.

I found the 05 to be the best I've ever had in my system - perfect for me because I have a set of headphones that need amplification, too!

The difference between the 05 and the 98 can be simply stated as this:

One's out of focus, the other's not.

You can guess which one's which.

I am the last person to fall for minor changes or placebo. If I upgrade and spend my hard-earned money, I'd like to know it was for something tangible.

I have compared the 05 vs the 98 in the same room. In that same trend, I compared the entire Rogue current pre line up (except Hera) vs the 98... and the Rotel RC1070 somewhere along the line, too.

I found the 05 to be the best I've ever had in my system - perfect for me because I have a set of headphones that need amplification, too!

The difference between the 05 and the 98 can be simply stated as this:

One's out of focus, the other's not.

You can guess which one's which.

The 98 never had a chance!!

Preamps make a huge difference! I have had many in my system and they have all done different things some better some worse. I can tell you my CJ CT-5 is the best I have owned in the last five years. It makes music come alive but it is all preference I suppose.

The 98 never had a chance!!

Preamps make a huge difference! I have had many in my system and they have all done different things some better some worse. I can tell you my CJ CT-5 is the best I have owned in the last five years. It makes music come alive but it is all preference I suppose.

What I really want to hear in my system is the Ref3 and the Bat REX... :eek:

Another factor that I believe Rich alluded to is how "finely tuned" your system is. By this, I mean that all contributing factors (cables, speaker position, vibration attenuation, etc.) are set up to perform at the "optimum" thereby allowing one to hear even miniscule changes. As I'm sure you know, the preamp is a key component in the "chain" that dramatically impacts the final sound you will hear from your system.

IMHO, if you can't hear the difference in sound when you swap out the preamp, something else (not good) is going on.

Good luck with your venture.

GG

True, a fine highly resolving system will be more sensitive to changes, cables, audio racks, etc. However, it's possible that two preamps may just happen to sound the same.

What I really want to hear in my system is the Ref3 and the Bat REX... :eek:

Why bother with trying other preamps when you already have a great one? I'd look in other areas for a weaker link in the chain. Perhaps room treatments, bass traps, a high-end cd player with digital input for your SB3, etc.

By the way, how was the analog experience? Did you like or not like the sound of vinyl?

Just some thoughts. Too bad we missed you in Florida last week. Hope you had fun.

Why bother with trying other preamps when you already have a great one? I'd look in other areas for a weaker link in the chain. Perhaps room treatments, bass traps, a high-end cd player with digital input for your SB3, etc.

By the way, how was the analog experience? Did you like or not like the sound of vinyl?

Just some thoughts. Too bad we missed you in Florida last week. Hope you had fun.

Craig,

Ditto on the FL thing.. sad that I missed you fellas as well.

Regarding the other preamps - I suppose I could use more experience with this level of gear I suppose... not looking to buy though. I agree though, source is next... and I'm still working on my room treatments.

The treatments are half done in the garage... too cold outside to finish them. If only I lived in Tampa.... :p.

Back