Cary CAD 280 v12R, Sixpac or C-J Premier 140

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolposter

Reaction score
Price:
C-J Premier 140, 2.9-3k used
Sixpac, 3k new with upgrades
Cary Audio CAD 280 v12R, 2.3-2.4k used

Gain
C-J Premier 140 has a 27.8dB gain.

CAD 280 v12 has 21.6dB (8 ohm tap into 8 ohms) and 18.6dB (4 ohm tap into 4 ohms) in triode mode. And 25.2dB and 22.1dB in ultralinear mode.

Anybody know the voltage gain of Sixpac?

Feature
280 has this very nice feature - triode to ultralinear (or in mixed mode) switch on the fly. Can use various tubes.
I guess Sixpac has similar feature?
C-J has the most power.

If I use tubes only on panel, which one is better?

Thanks,

Definitely the Cary V12R!

Although the V12R and the SixPacs are from the same Cary stable, the V12R offers the ultralinear option which the SixPacs do not. You should be aware that the V12R is quite deep so you'll need to make sure your rack will be able to accommodate for this. The Cary/SixPacs have more "tone" than the CJ.

Gain for the SixPacs? Same as the Cary V12R in triode mode.

Good Luck
Spike

Last edited:
Thanks Spike. One question regarding tube rolling. If I understand correctly, when replacing any EL-34 tube on 280, you gotta replace the whole 12 pack. Is that true on Sixpacs as well? Or just 6 of them since it's a mono amp.

I usually replace the whole set of 12 tubes just to keep things simple as far as not having to keep track of the lifespan of each tube. There's no requirements which say that you have to replace all 12 tubes, nor is there any requirement to replace with matched pair/quad/etc...

Spike

tyvm. The 280 v12r has been sold already so I guess the only option now is a v12i.

You mentioned earlier that Cary has more "tone" than C-J. Do you actually mean C-J is more naturally sound? I'm looking for an amp without too much alteration/coloration, as accurate as possible.

Kinda running into a dilemma at this moment.

With 2-3k I can definitely get a pretty good tube amp on Audiogon. On the other hand, a very good condition pair of Vantage only costs 2.5-2.8k. Should I spend the money on a pair of Vantage or go bi-amping my Sequel IIs (with new panels, woofers and AC boards upgraded last October)?

Well, it depends...

Coolposter,
Nice dilema to have :D It really depends on what you're trying to "fix". Let's start with what is it that you're trying to achieve by upgrading amplifiers/speakers. That said, I'd lean toward the Vantages just because of the more updated technologies yielding a more dynamic speaker than the Sequel. Keep in mind that the Vantages have the internal amplifier to drive the bass so you'll be able to sell the Sequel + Bryston amplifier to upgrade to a tube amp later if that's the direction you're heading.

Spike

How much tube power is enough to drive a pair of Vantage? Consider it has a powered subwoofer (class D amp iirc), running a tube on panels = bi-amping.

So the question is: 50W triode good enough?

Tons of info on this site regarding amps. Use the search function. Bare in mind they are only opinions and the one that matters the most is yours.

Best option is a money back audition in your home.

Depending on the room size, type of music you listen to, volumes levels, amp quality (can it handle low impedances?), a 50 W Triode may or may not work for you.

If I may say so, there is a good argument to be made for a SS high current, hi wattage amp given the ML impedance issues. On the other hand, there are members who have valves and are very happy with the results.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

GG

Last edited:
Use the search, young Padewan

Here's the link to my recent post on the same subject. Follow the links in my post to more information regarding tube power & Logans...
Here's the math

Spike

Back