C-J Premier 350 amp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a set of four from Andy at Vintage Tube Services a couple years ago..

He's the one to call. No real markings on the tubes to speak of.
Andy is a great guy to deal with. Since it is a one man shop it takes a bit for him to get to your order, but the quality of tubes and the service is wonderful

When I was on the CJ website I noted CJ would upgrade the ACT2 to ACT2S2. I did have to provide the serial number to see if it could be done. See the link below.

Jeff, what NOS 6h30's do you use??

http://conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/model_upgrades.html

Cherian, I would go directly to BAT. Victor is the one who discovered this tube originally. He bought a large volume from the plant that originally manufactured them in Russia. He has a dwindling stash, but at least you will know it's real.

No offense, but I don't think Victor is going to sell you some mint NOS tubes to put in your ACT2....

You can try, but I'd be surprised if that deal goes through.

You'll probably get a better deal from Andy.

I'm sure he would gladly sell the tubes if you bought a BAT preamp.

With the tubes having no markings, there is a possibility that you will never know if they are real, especially if the sonic difference is minor. For what it's worth, I can give you the serial # of my 51SE if you want to contact him.

The bigger question is how big of a difference these tubes make. My BAT has those NOS tubes, and I have been too lazy to plug them into the ACT2. I am always hesitant of picking up tweaks that make a tiny difference.

Why did CJ stop making the solid state amp? It got rave reviews.

This amp was killed by CJ because they could no longer hold the $10k MSRP for this amp. This was at the height of the commodity cost increase due to a rocking world economy. CJ would have need to charge 13 to 15k for this amp. CJ felt this was too much of a cost increase.

This amp was killed by CJ because they could no longer hold the $10k MSRP for this amp. This was at the height of the commodity cost increase due to a rocking world economy. CJ would have need to charge 13 to 15k for this amp. CJ felt this was too much of a cost increase.

Yup, that's correct and in my opinion, the Premier 350 still stands up even with a $15k price tag. Anyone who got one of these for 5-6k, got the deal of the century.

Yup, that's correct and in my opinion, the Premier 350 still stands up even with a $15k price tag. Anyone who got one of these for 5-6k, got the deal of the century.

Perfect Jeff! I forwarded your esteemed opinion to my wife! :D

Another KO Victory for the Premier 350

I recently had a pair of $20K Ayre monoblocks in my system. They were Stereophile product of the year a couple of years ago. They were good, but no where near the amazing CJ 350.

The Ayre is a bit more transparent and throws more detail at you. However, the amount of detail is actually distracting at times. It takes you away from the music and focuses you on the equipment. The CJ 350, however, gets itself out of the way to get you to focus on the music. The Premier 350 presents a musical whole better than any SS amp I have heard.

The new Ayre is $20K. CJ used can be had for under $5K.

If anyone has heard a better SS amp, please let me know.

The only one I've heard has been the Burmester 911 MK.3, but it doesn't have quite as much power as the Premier 350..

But it's a lot more money.

The 350 still remains one of my two favorite solid state amplifiers. And for the price the best balance of musicality, resolution and dynamics.

The only one I've heard has been the Burmester 911 MK.3, but it doesn't have quite as much power as the Premier 350..

But it's a lot more money.

The 350 still remains one of my two favorite solid state amplifiers. And for the price the best balance of musicality, resolution and dynamics.

Thanks, Jeff. How does the lower power of the Burmester manifest itself sound-wise?

Thanks, Jeff. How does the lower power of the Burmester manifest itself sound-wise?

It's really not an issue. I just know the 911 will play to brain damage levels and the 350 will go beyond.

My Gamut S-9's are a bit more amplifier friendly, so it's a perfect match.

I finally found an amp that TOTALLY outclasses this classic monster amp. The amp is the VTL Reference MB 750 monoblocks. The power ratings are very similar between the CJ and the VTL at 4 ohms. However the VTL is much more relaxed, has much sharper transients, more natural midrange, produces low level details that make the Soundlab sound like a Soundlab, lightning quick dynamics, better dimensionality, and much more thunderous, yet well articulated bass. This is a HUGE LEAP.

I know there are a lot of folks of who like tube amps. I was not one of them until I heard one with enough power to drive a tough load and do everything else in addition to creating a natural midrange.

I am not selling the CJ because it is as good as SS gets. But all I can say about the VTL is: WOW! WHAT an AMP!!!!

Latest posts

Back