Can you identify this speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
A member of the Carver Forum recently posted this picture of some speakers he purchased a few years ago. The person he purchased them from told him he didn't know what they were, but they might be some sort of prototype Martin Logan. Personally, I think they are some sort of home-made speakers, but I wanted to post a pic here to see if anyone might recognize them.

Thanks,
--Richard

Attachments

• magam4a.jpg
    magam4a.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
Isle 12 windows and doors at Menards :ROFL:

I believe they may be a pair of Eminent Technologies !

I think BOSE made them but they sounded too good.;)

I believe they may be a pair of Eminent Technologies !

It does sort of look like an "LFT-3 Loudspeaker" that Eminent Technologies brought out in '88. But not quite. The ribbon design and dimensions are different, and the framing is different too...

I'm leaning toward some sort of "homebrew" speaker, because the fellow who posted the pics says it has not markings on it whatsoever with regards to manufacturer or origin...

Good try, but I don't think that's it.

Thanks though!

Attachments

• LFT-3photo a.jpg
    LFT-3photo a.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 668
does it work?
how does it sound?

does it have a circuit box behind at the bottom like the CLS have. maybe if you take that apart the name of the company will be on one of the circuit boards or something.

He says it sounds wonderful--very clean and clear, but a little shy in the bass range. But he also said it's VERY power hungry--it appears to use some sort of ribbon drivers--and it takes a pretty gutsy amp to drive it to high output levels without running out of steam..

He also said it has no "box" on the back, just binding posts, and appears to be directly driven. He says he's pretty much had this thing taken apart down to the screws, and he can't find any sort of manufacturer's markings, except OEM markings on the drivers...

I'm leaning more and more toward a "homebrew" speaker...

Carver made a Planar speaker about 20 years ago called The Amazing Loudspeaker. I only auditioned it once and I don't remember what it looked like. It did sound amazing.

Carver made a Planar speaker about 20 years ago called The Amazing Loudspeaker. I only auditioned it once and I don't remember what it looked like. It did sound amazing.

Definitely not a Carver ( the amazing). I was looking at a pair on the internet the other day as my son and I started a conversation about carver , and I have clear memories of hearing a pair at The Penta Hi-Fi show, near Heathrow airport way back in 1994 ish. The carvers are large and imposing but with an odd shape, and aesthetically better. Very nice sound indeed. I can recall standing on a stair lobby ( The demo was not in a room, don't know why) and was quite captivated by the insight, and clear sound. I cannot recall what equipment was used but I think it was tube based.
I believe that the AMAZING was also very favourable in the price range.

DEFINITELY not a pair of Carver speakers. Carvers were trapezoidal shaped, and had a long ribbon driver and either 3 or 4 "open baffle" mounted woofers behind the grill cloth. Here is a pic of a Carver Amazing Loudspeakers in Oak:

Attachments

• Speaks001.jpg
    Speaks001.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,394
I think it has got to be a prototype of the Eminent Technologies speakers or perhaps a knock-off. It just looks too much like them not to be.

Back