Can I Get Help From Sub-Users.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mact3333

Reaction score
Ok,

I have never used a subwoofer in a 2 channel system before. I have the Pass Amp and X1 pre-amp. I just got a Depth(non-i version) sub.

When I look at back of X1 pre, there is only one set of outputs which goes into my amp...I have 4 inputs but the only other output is the RCA/balanced tape output.

Can I go out from tape output to the sub using RCA's???...or do I need to split the signal from the only outputs going to amp with Y-type splitter and re-direct to the sub???...thx.

Would appreciate help, especially the guys who run Pass pre-amps with subs, which I know are many on this MB.

Im not sure with the Pass gear, but I had to have my pre modded to have the tape out set to a second main out for my sub. Or I had to use the Y cables, which i didnt want to do.

the other question is will main outs and tape out run at the same time?
maybe there are mods or switches that can be jumped inside?

Ok,

I have never used a subwoofer in a 2 channel system before. I have the Pass Amp and X1 pre-amp. I just got a Depth(non-i version) sub.

When I look at back of X1 pre, there is only one set of outputs which goes into my amp...I have 4 inputs but the only other output is the RCA/balanced tape output.

Can I go out from tape output to the sub using RCA's???...or do I need to split the signal from the only outputs going to amp with Y-type splitter and re-direct to the sub???...thx.

Would appreciate help, especially the guys who run Pass pre-amps with subs, which I know are many on this MB.

I also have an X-1 but also run the Pass XVR1 electronic xover which gives me two outputs, high pass and low pass.

Both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) outputs are active on the X1 so if your Depth has an XLR input you'll be in business using that connection.

Not sure about using the tape out?

Thx for the replies guys...I should have researched abit more before I bought this...this Depth sub doesnt have XLR balanced inputs so this isnt an option.

I also dont want to use splitter from my preamp to amp.

Does Depth i or new descent come with XLR????

I also have an X-1 but also run the Pass XVR1 electronic xover which gives me two outputs, high pass and low pass.

Both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) outputs are active on the X1 so if your Depth has an XLR input you'll be in business using that connection.

Not sure about using the tape out?

BTW, love your system!....does your JL Audio sub have balanced inputs?...if so might have to sell Depth and get JL audio sub.

Edit: just thought of something, did you say on X1 that both XLR and RCA outputs are active??...if yes, than I think i solved my problem...I am using XLR out into my amp so I am not using the RCA outputs...guess I could just connect RCA out fro X1 directly to Depth no???

Last edited:
Not familiar with the X1 preamp, but looking at a picture of it, sure looks like it has rca outputs above the xlr ones on it to me. You just run the preamp RCA jacks to the sub Line Level In and then run your cables from the Line Level Out to your power amp.
You are just putting the sub between the power amp and the preamp

Last edited:
BTW, love your system!....does your JL Audio sub have balanced inputs?...if so might have to sell Depth and get JL audio sub.

Edit: just thought of something, did you say on X1 that both XLR and RCA outputs are active??...if yes, than I think i solved my problem...I am using XLR out into my amp so I am not using the RCA outputs...guess I could just connect RCA out fro X1 directly to Depth no???

Thanks!

Yes, the JL has XLR inputs.

Yes, the RCA outs to the Depth will work fine.

just go with the JL... It is a much better sub and yes it definitely has xlr inputs! I own 2 now and am looking for a third and fourt I love them so much!

Back