Buying used hi-end audio gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwm602

Reaction score
Being that I am new to hi-end audio gear, I have a question? I am looking to buy ML spires used along with other equipment for my first great system. There is a listing on Audiogon for brand new in the box ML Spires. My question is this....How do you know if these speakers or any other equipment is hot, stolen, or otherwise? I have noticed many listings for "new in the box", or "used for only two weeks", or " selling for a friend".... Any advice would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks, Mike

Being that I am new to hi-end audio gear, I have a question? I am looking to buy ML spires used along with other equipment for my first great system. There is a listing on Audiogon for brand new in the box ML Spires. My question is this....How do you know if these speakers or any other equipment is hot, stolen, or otherwise? I have noticed many listings for "new in the box", or "used for only two weeks", or " selling for a friend".... Any advice would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks, Mike

If you are really concerned about whether they are stolen -- ask for the serial numbers.. You will want these anyway - because if you look at the top of our forum - there is an 'age' decoder if you have the serial numbers... Usually anyone selling a hot item etc... will be hesitant to give the serial number because if you were to investigate - and it was reported to ML - the guy gets nailed.

Mike,

Another way to get a comfort level is to check the members score and read the feedback.

Also, I place alot of credibility of the seller to call you when you so request in an email. He or she should do it within a day or two max once you send the request.

If they don't, that is a major red flag in my book.

GG

Hello,
I really think on the whole, Audiogon is still an oasis compared to most. I have had nothing but positive experiences in the decade I have frequented there. I really do not like that now Audiogon charges a 1% Transaction Fee. It used to be like 3 or 4 Dollars to post a Listing. Now, it really can be pretty expensive comparatively speaking.

As was recommended, Seller Ratings are an excellent indicator. I still have done the majority of my Audiogon transactions locally just to make things less stressful in terms of shipping and other concerns.
Cheers,
JJ

I have found audiophiles to be remarkably trustworthy and courteous. Not to say that one shouldn't be careful though. Feedback, talking to them and making sure their phone #, email and address all jive. You can also contact someone they've had a deal with before if you have any suspicions.

I got my MBL101a's on Audiogon (I caught them 30 min after they were posted and was the first of about 40 calls on them!) I was VERY happy w/ my transaction there...I think I found some Richard Gray Power Station stuff there too.

I was tempted to buy from the 'gon on several occasions but got cold feet! I ended up dealing with Audio Classics out of New York for a couple of pieces I bought. A superb company to deal with!

Gordon

There is a pair of Anniversary CLX available on the 'gon and only about 10 minutes from my brother. I've been resisting sending him the cash for over a month!!!

Last edited:
I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on Audiogon with no problem, apart from one badly-packed pre-preamp, but there was no damage.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on Audiogon with no problem, apart from one badly-packed pre-preamp, but there was no damage.
Packing, packing, packing!
if need be, send the seller a diagram or at least tell them in detail how to pack it. Trust me. :(

I have both bought and sold on Audiogon without any problems, always a positive experience. I agree with Timm, ask for the serial numbers and confirm them with ML.

Cheers, Greg

I bought my Summits on Audiogon. It turned out they were actually being sold by a dealer as a demo unit so I was able to use a credit card to purchase them which really eased my mind.

I've had nothing but positive experiences using Audiogon. I have both sold and purchased gear. I think the key as it was mentioned is to actually speak to the person buying and or selling. Get as much information before purchasing as possible. That includes serial numbers that should actually be posted in the ad along with current pictures. I always e mail the buyer pics of their item being purchased boxed by me and by doing that the buyer has documentation of the condition of the item before shipping. Most of us here share a common love of music and movies and are trying to achieve the same goals with audio and video that most of society will never understand.

I don't understand some people's reasoning when they post really unusual starting bids on Audiogon. As an example, there was a recent one with a starting bid of $100, and at $2,500 the reserve was not met. Why not have a starting bid close to your reserve, so you do not waste the time of people bidding?

Frankly I do not see the point of the reserve. I always start bidding at the lowest price that is acceptable to me and do not use a reserve.

Frankly I do not see the point of the reserve. I always start bidding at the lowest price that is acceptable to me and do not use a reserve.

I haven't sold anything via Audiogon or eBay, but if I did, that would be my exact approach too.

I don't understand some people's reasoning when they post really unusual starting bids on Audiogon. As an example, there was a recent one with a starting bid of $100, and at $2,500 the reserve was not met. Why not have a starting bid close to your reserve, so you do not waste the time of people bidding?

I think what some people try to do is get as many people in the 'fray' as possible. Nothing like a good ol' bidding war on your gear ....the more people in the mix -- or even the more 'perceived' people in the mix I think gives serious bidders pause - and may cause them to bid higher if there are -as an example 25 bids on something vs. 5. You never know who might be lurking that might get it from you in the last seconds... :) at least that is the approach anyway. Its an ebay approach more or less..

I think what some people try to do is get as many people in the 'fray' as possible. Nothing like a good ol' bidding war on your gear ....the more people in the mix -- or even the more 'perceived' people in the mix I think gives serious bidders pause - and may cause them to bid higher if there are -as an example 25 bids on something vs. 5. You never know who might be lurking that might get it from you in the last seconds... :) at least that is the approach anyway. Its an ebay approach more or less..

On Ebay at least, the higher you set your reserve, the more Ebay will charge you for the ad. I don't know how Audiogon does this since I have not done an auction there.

Used Logans

Just remember that Martin Logan has a warranty with the original owner only.
I have found that there are quite a few dealers selling privately on Audiogon, if you ask, they usually will tell you that, and you can get the warranty with the purchase. As mentioned, deal with someone with a feedback record, you might even find someone local if they know you are looking for a particular piece if you list in the 'wanted section'.
Protect youself by using PayPal or a Credit Card (PayPal paid via credit card).
Most Audiogoners are just like us, changing gear when the mood/pocketbook
is ready.

Yes and everyone on the 'gon is reminded about that with the big ad whose sole purpose is to try and thwart sales of used ML product. Warning buyers about warranty issues. Wonder how that impacts resale? No Logan warranty is transferrable right?

Back