Buying American made goods

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you would be wrong, Justin. U.K. has 85 crimes per 1000 people, the U.S. has 80. Thus, when adjusted for population, the U.K. actually has more crime (barely) than the U.S. (Source) And specifically violent crime? Read this.

Rich - you are WAY better at killing each other according to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate. To be honest, crime stats get manipulated a lot because it is such a political hot seat. Our government gets accused of it all the time. You'll be able to find stats that support either view without trouble, I believe.

Average citizen's owning guns was the only reason we were able to get out from under England's thumb a few hundred years ago. Perhaps that could help you understand our long-standing tradition of personal gun ownership rights. ;)

That was kind of a long time ago. So no, I don't understand it or support it. To be honest, I think the gun thing is way out of line/order.:devil:

But back on topic - buy American? Well, you make damn fine speakers and other hi-fi, and you did make some very nice cars in the 50s and 60s. I just love watching Rush HD Montreux car auctions. Some truly beautiful cars. You've lost the plot on that now, however.

With regards to outsourcing to China (and India), we have the same problem you do.

Last edited:
Justin, I think the China problem is worse in the UK. I heard the next Bond movie is going to star Jackie Chan as 007:D

But you are correct about us and shooting. Last winter a guy was running some Satellite cables from the roof to his HT and he used a 45 to blow a perfect round whole from the outside wall to the HT room inside. Only problem is he shot and killed his wife by accident, at least that was his story and he is sticking to it.

Another guy was cleaning one of his hunting rifles, and he accidently shot himself, his wife and his neighbor's dog, with one shot, now that's some shoot'en. Betcha no one has done that in the UK.

Last edited:
you know Dreamer you are alright with me. Feel free to come over and enjoy a beverage of your choice in front of my spires at any time!

Maybe if you move out of the People's Republic of Illinois. I won't go anywhere my firearm isn't welcome...

You can thank the Pritzkers, your ex-governor, and our current President for the "elites only" gun laws in IL. It's OK, apparently, to own and carry a firearm in Cook County if you own half the state, or if you are "connected", but if you're one of the "ordinary" people who actually work for a living, you're SOL...

Chicago has some of the most restrictive firearms ownership, transport, and carry laws in the nation. Chicago also has some of the highest rates of rape, home invasion, and property crime. You do the math...

I'd love to hear your Spires. But I'm not driving that far cross country without a firearm. I could wave at you from the Ohio border... ;)

Thanks for the offer though.

Last edited:
Maybe if you move out of the People's Republic of Illinois. I won't go anywhere my firearm isn't welcome...

You can thank the Pritzkers, your ex-governor, and our current President for the "elites only" gun laws in IL. It's OK, apparently, to own and carry a firearm in Cook County if you own half the state, or if you are "connected", but if you're one of the "ordinary" people who actually work for a living, you're SOL...

Chicago has some of the most restrictive firearms ownership, transport, and carry laws in the nation. Chicago also has some of the highest rates of rape, home invasion, and property crime. You do the math...

I'd love to hear your Spires. But I'm not driving that far cross country without a firearm. I could wave at you from the Ohio border... ;)

Thanks for the offer though.

Richard - I'm really surprised by that attitude. For some reason I had you down as a hippie type.

What's the point here beyond the obvious ones you made? You don't feel free without a gun? Or your don't like the discrimination factor? If the former, that is truly sad. If the later, I can see it, I suppose.

But I'm not driving that far cross country without a firearm. I could wave at you from the Ohio border...

Interstate transportation of a handgun ( at least where it would provide you any "self defense") is for the most part ILLEGAL !!

The thought of one 'needing' a gun for safe travel is completly nuts !! ....and this is coming from a life long member of the NRA and one who has probably fired more rounds of amunition from various firearms than the greater majority on this forum !!

I really do not wish to state specifics as it may infer my personal feelings on certain subject matter that I like to keep that stuff mostly to myself or at least of of a HIFI forum if I could. I really do not want to start a big fight about all of the specifics. If you cannot see how our freedom has eroded then you are lost.

here is just one example of how stupid and overbearing the government has gotten.

In IL it is now illegal for me to even smoke a cigar in my own store after hours when there are no customers present WTF. I used this as just one stupid example of how out of control our society and government has gotten.

there are much larger freedoms though that have been destroyed. the government has pushed its heads into every aspect of our lives as well as trying to control the family unit.

it seems as though any person or group can get together and if they cry hard enough a new stupid law will pass that "protects" everybody and this is now called DEMOCRACY !

speaking of stupid laws some states allow people riding motorcycles to not wear a helmet but will give you a ticket if you are not wearing a seatbelt in a 4000 lb car in that same state

Go figure a lot of thought went into that one:rolleyes:

Interstate transportation of a handgun ( at least where it would provide you any "self defense") is for the most part ILLEGAL !!

This is flat out incorrect.

39 states have "shall issue" laws for issuing concealed carry permits.
9 states have "may issue" policies.
Only 2 states (WI and IL) and the District of Columbia have no provisions for issuing concealed carry permits.
Of the 48 states that allow concealed carry, 30 have reciprocity with North Carolina, where my permit is issued.

Using "self defense" as an excuse for transporting through a state like MD (which for all intents and purposes DOES NOT issue CHP's, unless you are one of the "elite".) will get you in the BAD GRACES of any LEO you are dealing with. MD doesn't recognize my permit, so while I'm in MD, I will have it locked in a case, inaccessible to the driver or passengers, and I am transporting it to PA and WV, where I will be camping and visiting my father, and target shooting with him on his farm in Tyler County.

Now, in states like PA and WV, which recognize my CHP, I don't need a "reason" for transporting a firearm through their state. I just inform the LEO, if he approaches me in an official manner, that I have a valid NC-CHP, and I am carrying, and tell him what I have and where it is. Then I wait for further instruction, which usually involved him asking to see my DL and CHP, and whatever vehicular paperwork he may require. 'Nuff sed...

It's only in "nanny states" that you need a "reason" for what is otherwise a federally-protected activity, and a Constitutionally protected Right...

According to Federal law, interstate transportation of a firearm (including handguns) is perfectly legal for private individuals who may legally own such firearms, providing they are transporting them from and to states where they are legal, and they are unloaded and secured in a manner rendering them "inaccessible to the driver or passengers", as long as you are transporting them for legitimate means, such as going on a hunting trip, or traveling to or from a repair shop or competition event, or a formal or informal target practice. And all this is legal without any sorts of permits or licenses. Of course, states and localities may augment this law, for the purpose of revenue enhancement or keeping firearms out of the hands of the "wrong sorts of people"...

Here is a link to the official MD State Assembly code that outlines this law:

http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes_respond.asp?article=gcr&section=4-203&Extension=HTML

Now, the fact that I have a NC concealed carry permit, which is recognized as valid in 30 other states, including VA, PA, WV, and OH, makes interstate transport MUCH simpler in and through these more reasonable states. In fact, it's good in most of the eastern states, with the exceptions of the People's Republics of MD and NJ, the Elite Kingdoms of NY and CT, and DC. And to be honest, I can easily (and happily) avoid those states...

And even in states where my CCP isn't recognized (with the exception of DC, NY, CT, and NJ, on the east coast) if I've got it locked in a secure case, unloaded, and in the trunk, it's perfectly legal to transport.

It's taken me nearly a month of web searches of State Police websites, and phone calls to State AG's council to get it all sussed out. The variations in carry and transport laws from state-to-state are mind boggling. For instance, in VA it's illegal to carry concealed in any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on premise, HOWEVER, in most municipalities, it is perfectly legal to "open carry" in such an establishment. How f-ed up is THAT? In WV and PA, "CC" is legal in such establishments. In all locations, if you are carrying, it's illegal to consume alcohol. In my home state of NC, it's illegal to carry, in ANY WAY, into an establishment that serves for consumption--and YES that even includes places like Ruby Tuesdays or Texas Steakhouses. But it's perfectly legal to CC in a Taco Bell or McDonalds.

Private interstate SALE of handguns is not permitted, unless you go through an FFL dealer. And if you use a licensed FFL to facilitate the sale, handle the physical transfer, and file all the appropriate paperwork and background checks, you can even buy a handgun over the Internet from anywhere in the US, like through a site like www.Gunbroker.com

I, too have been a member of the NRA for most of my life, and was for a time (when I was much younger) a competitive shooter (IPSC), and have never had any difficulties transporting legally-owned firearms from state to state, as long as they are properly stowed, and declared, if questioned. The fact that I always displayed a relaxed and polite attitude, had an NRA Range Instructor badge hanging from the mirror, and a couple access badges for DOJ facilities on the dashboard never hurt either. Of course, these days I don't work for DOJ contractors so those credentials are gone, but a clean vehicle, an obsessive adherance to speed limits, and a "light check" before every trip go a long way toward staying in the good graces of the "boys in blue". And a near-OCD-level of research as to state and local laws doesn't hurt either. Among my other "travel gear", I have a folder on the front seat that contains printouts of firearms laws for each state I'll be travelling in, printed directly from each state's Attorney's General websites--not for "arguments sake" but for refreshing my memory when I stop for fuel or food breaks.

The thought of one 'needing' a gun for safe travel is completly nuts !! ....and this is coming from a life long member of the NRA and one who has probably fired more rounds of amunition from various firearms than the greater majority on this forum !!

We're going to have to compare notes someday...

But anyway, something like 76% of the world's serial killers are in the US. Of the nearly 5000 unsolved homicides currently on the books in the US, some studies postulate that more than half of them are the work of serial killers. And a recently published study says that many of these freaks work primarily from rest areas on Interstates and in truck stops.

I'm going to be spending a LOT of time over the next two weeks on major Interstates, stopping in truckstops and rest areas, and I'm caravaning with 2 single women, who are riding in a Toyota Tundra pulling a small trailor. That's a LOT of tires that could blow out on some desolate stretch of highway, and a LOT of roadway that has REAL spotty cell coverage...

I feel perfectly safe traveling without a firearm. However, in many states, it is STILL my right to defend myself or my loved ones should the need arise. And out on the lonely stretches of I-68 in the isolated hills of WV, or I-79 in PA, it can be a LONG hike to the next service station if your vehicle breaks down.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

Law enforcement officers are not anyone's personal bodyguards. The Supreme Court has ruled on that. They are there primarily to apprehend criminals AFTER crimes have been committed.

As long as I inform an LEO immediately, if approached, that I possess a NC-CHP, tell him what I'm carrying and where it is, and keep my hands in plain sight, I am perfectly withing the bounds of the law in EVERY state I'll be travelling through on this trip, with the exception of MD. And before I enter the state of MD, I'll be sure to stow my firearm in a manner according to MD state law for safe and legal transport. Since I will be engaged in target shooting on my father's farm during my vacation, transportation through MD is legal, as long as it is locked in a case, unloaded, and inaccessible to the driver or passengers.

And believe me, my HHR is going to be packed so tight with camping gear, that even the most imaginative LEO will have to admit that it won't be "readily accessible". It's going to be in a locked hard case, and THAT is going to be inside a locked footlocker, which is going to be in the back of my vehicle, wedged in between and under about 200 pounds of tent canvas, bedrolls, and misc camping gear, not to mention 2 large coolers, and a second footlocker full of clothing. It's going to take me 20 minutes to pack and unpack this thing for entrance and after egress from MD...

It is our right and DUTY as citizens to ensure our own safety and security. I've gone through considerable training, research, background checks, and expense to ensure that my actions are within the legal bounds of most of the states I routinely travel, and where my permit is not recognized, I will comply with their laws by securing my firearms appropriately. States which have laws that prevent me from doing even this, I can gladly avoid.

Last edited:
I will have it locked in a case, inaccessible to the driver or passengers,and they are unloaded and secured in a manner rendering them "inaccessible to the driver or passengers".

Richard that was my 'basic' point....while traveling interstate it really is not in a "ready and available state of protection" for you. Regardless, travel safe and if it gives you peace of mind, so be it !

Oh and BTW, with respect to the 'Great Empire of NY', I was traveling from upstate NY the morning of 9-11-01 with a "truckload" of guns from a recent varmint hunting trip........ yes I did obey the speed limit !!

While I agree with importing and exporting, what I don't agree with is sending work out overseas to be built when we could be doing that here.

I have worked in manufacturing in New Jersey since the eary 1980's. I started as a mechanical assembler making parts and components for our military fighter jets. I educated myself as a Mechanical Engineer (after my Audio Engineering days) and worked my way to a Manufacturing Engineer. To say the least, manufacturing in NJ was booming prior to 1995. Pickings are extremely thin since then. I still work as a Manufacturing Engineer in NJ.

Now, I am not an Economist by any means however, I see it this way. Wall Street is only interested in making money. They make money on companies whose profit reports increase year over year which in turn increases share holder value. There in lies a dilemma, in order for us to make money in our 401K, we need companies to report profits which makes Wall Street happy. But that comes at a cost for those of us who rely on an American job. Because the only way to report better profits year over year is to reduce cost. Which leads to outsourcing to out of the country and/or overseas companies associated with low cost wages.

The manufacturing companies here in the states cost a certain amount to make widgets for anybody. In order to decrease that cost associated to manufacturing, we improve churn efficiency, cycle time, improve tooling and methodology, reduce complicated assemblies and minimize hardware and tooling changeover, we buy lower cost components and higher lower wage people, not necessarily lower wage engineering, but manual laborers. If the company cannot decrease its overhead and cost of business, we outsource, driven by corporate mandates, most likely the biggest bang for the buck is the cheapest labor...most likely some country where regulation on people's rights/wages is uncontrolled or completely ignored. The corporate officers get to report bottom line gains. Eventually I see these foreign companies increasing their cost to us. But...if share holders are interested in increased profits, there will come a time when we can't do any better than what we already have, in other words...what is next after "China"? Is there another country that can do it cheaper next year? What about 5 years from now, 20 years? Short sighted and narrow minded greedy bastards. Eventually too many American people will be out of work and will not be able to afford anything. Now this does not apply to all of us living here in the USA but there are a lot of uneducated people who choose or cannot afford to get a good education but are very good with their manual dexterity and assembly skills. These types of jobs are easily trainable to those people. And in turn they live a comfortable life...life is good. Elkhart Indiana for instance! (Geeze I hope we don't ever outsource RV's to China!)

Another point, cheap is just that, cheap, garbage or short life cycle. Quality control is very difficult for overseas manufacturing. Less expensive is just that, lower cost engineered to intelligently reduce cost without compromising the quality of the product.

I say build it here as much as we can. This is all going to come full circle eventually. There will be a point where we cannot sustain the same or greater profit level that Wall Street expects year after year...it's not sustainable! That will also affect our 401K plans too...something has to change. The only way out of that is to increase the price of products to the consumer year after year. And what does that gain us? Eventually we will be making more money (for those of us still employed) and paying much more for the same things! What a vicious cycle! I suppose that will help the 401K plans but isn't it all relative anyway? I mean we are paying more for something that costs more so we can net gains in corporation’s reportable profits. Can you imagine in 20 years where the minimum wage is hypothetically $30 per hour and say a gallon of milk costs $15! The other group of people that are interested in profit is the ones collecting bonuses based on gains or profit...and they seem to call the shots when it comes to outsourcing to overseas companies. I don't like it one bit, but of course I am biased.

Try to find American made products...I once went to purchase small American flags for a 4th of July block party in our neighborhood...they had stickers on them that said, "Made in China"! No good! I will however make an American made decision if I have a choice, even if it does cost a little more. If I don’t have that choice, I’ll try to do without it.

The Wal-Mart comment: We buy particular items from Wal-Mart. Lately those items have shown to be very inferior to what I am used to seeing from them. I have also noticed certain items being discontinued from their shelves and replaced with cheap garbage. I'm talking about paper items, certain foods and durable goods. We're starting to move ourselves away from that store lately and paying more for a better quality product somewhere else. I don't like cheap garbage.

They are damn hard to find!

With so many people in need of work here, we have decided to try and buy American whenever possible. We won't buy an inferior product to accomplish this goal but will look very hard at the country of origin.

My wife decided she wants new pots and pans. Last set she bought (20 years ago) were on their last legs. Revere Ware that lasted through military moves and four kids. So she decides on some line called All-Clad. She had thought they were made in the USA based on her research.

The pots and pans are made in the USA but the lids are of course made in China and she did not find this out until she opened the box at home. While the quality is equal to the pots and pans, why can't we seem to make anything without China having their fingers in it?

This was not an inexpensive set. A few more dollars for American made lids would not have killed the deal. As a matter of fact, it could have a couple people working right now.

I'm off my soap box. I just wish we could buy things made here and employ people.

Gordon

Back