Buying Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamboinafrica

Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading my home entertainment system and am looking for some help / advice. I have a a pair of ESLs hooked up to a marantz s7007 with a REL T3 woofer primarily used for music but serves admirably in providing stereo sound for my home theatre. I have about $1k to spend on improving the system and I am debating whether to spend it on a lower end centre channel (motion 8) and then spending the rest on An improved sub (the T3 is a little underpowered for my big open plan living space) or whether I should splash the lot on a decent C2 centre and forgo the improvement for the sub until a later date.

My system is used primarily for music but my philosophy has always been to invest in the best I can afford and I fear that I may end up regretting the motion 8 in the future. The surrounds will be added later in the year but since they will almost certainly be in ceiling, I am intent on spending time getting the fronts 100% before making a permanent decision elsewhere.

Thanks for your thoughts.
JIA

Only you can answer the question, but if you say your system is primarily used for music then I wouldn't bother wasting time on frivolous toys like centre channels.

My house is full of frivolous toys...

On a fundamental level I couldn't agree more, however, the plan is definitely to add a full 5.1 system over the next 6 months even though the system is and always will be predominantly for classical music. I am just wrangling with whether or not I would be able to 'live' with the motion 8 as a centre or whether I would regret it in the long run. I know that there are only 2 people that can answer the question but I can't be the only person who has asked themselves the same question so I am interested in different opinions.

Thanks again,
JIA

Given your 2 choices, I'd go for the better center now and get the better sub later.

Why?
1. The other option means you're going to purchase 2 centers instead of one.
2. You said you'll fear regretting the lesser center
3. It fits your philosphy.

I like to be patient. To me it is more rewarding. I don't like to continuously upgrade (especially in small steps). I like to get the best I can with my budget, and then throw in some more $$ so I end up with a little more than what I was expecting :) , and then be glad I got it over with...and then enjoy!!!

Hey Bernard,

Not quite - I grew up in South Africa and have spent a lot of my working life in west africa but I am originally from the UK.

I am very new to MLs...So please take my reply as such, but I recently purchased a pair of Vistas...Sound awesome...I am only "pushing" them with a Denon 3313 AVR which is opening my ears...but also opening my wallet! So I am looking for an amp...I agree with Peter...if you get less than what you are really looking for...you will buy twice. Not bad for the mind but is bad for the bank account. I picked up an "as new as possible" used Motif...My wife was a little upset until she heard it...It sure wakes up all that garbage that is on TV and makes movies sound incredible..I always had a hard time hearing dialog. Save up for the center you want...you will be very happy.
Be cool,
T.

Back