Burmester's new CDP

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,

I read the review in TAS. One does wonder why a manufacturer would put out such a device that only does redbook.

At least my Cary 306 does SACD and has a DAC that will accept a hard drive signal. And I got for about 8% of the Burmester list price.

I'm sure that people with disposable income and ears that don't have a clue, will buy it.

GG

Yeah,

I read the review in TAS. One does wonder why a manufacturer would put out such a device that only does redbook.

At least my Cary 306 does SACD and has a DAC that will accept a hard drive signal. And I got for about 8% of the Burmester list price.

I'm sure that people with disposable income and ears that don't have a clue, will buy it.

GG

Though I agree that the price is ridiculous, I don't wonder about the RBCD only decision. I would think that with SACD just a niche market, Burmester is not interested in diluting the CD player to add an SACD section. As for the sound, unless you've heard one you really can't make your final statement. By all reports the player sounds wonderful, AHC is one of the more reliable and level-headed writers IMO and I tend to value his opinion.

Yeah,

GG

I've auditioned this CDP and it is nothing short of amazing. If you heard it, you too would be amazed. I bought the 001 because it's sound is almost as good, but for a fraction of the price. My finances aren't yet at the point where I can make decisions wholly independent of price. The 069 is for that top 1% who want and can easily afford the best.

Yeah,

GG

It's actually amazing how red book can sound ... when done properly.

I've auditioned this CDP and it is nothing short of amazing. If you heard it, you too would be amazed. I bought the 001 because it's sound is almost as good, but for a fraction of the price. My finances aren't yet at the point where I can make decisions wholly independent of price. The 069 is for that top 1% who want and can easily afford the best.

Good point. Lamm just released $140,000 monoblocks. How many people will buy them? Just a small fraction of the people who already own the Wilson Alexandria at $150K or something else in that price range.

But it sure does make Lamm's $30K monoblocks, which are pretty amazing in their own right and have a very similar sonic signature, look like a real bargain. Very smart marketing!

If you ever get a chance to listen to RBCD done right it can be damn good. This is just Burmeister's all out assault on their version of CD. SACD is good but its still a very small margin of the market. This player will probably end up in the hands of the richest and most un-knowledgeable audiophiles. Is it $60k good? Or $50k better than some of the best out now? Most of us will never know as we wont even hear it. I would bet it sounds good. How Good, Ill probably never know until I hear it.

Back