Bi amping CLSII

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legarem

Reaction score
I am wondering if someone tried to bi amp CLSII
This should be easy to do by separating the inputs + and - of the two transformers and feeding each with a different amplifier.
Thanks.

Crossover CSLII.jpg

That will not work, as the panel is a single diaphragm with + and - stators.

Even though it has two binding posts, note that they are bridged (dotted blue lines between both), representing the bridge straps one uses when using a single speaker cable. So you can bi-wire a CLS, but not bi-amp one.

The best option is to pair a CLS with a good woofer / subwoofer setup. I'd keep anything below 60Hz away from the ESL using a steep slope (48dB/Oct) in an active XO ahead of the amps.

The setup is as follows:
Use a pair of JBL CBT 1000E (this is the low-frequency extension element with only woofers) for the low-end. This line array of 6.5" drivers produces the same wavefront as the CLS and delivers far-field SPL that matches the panel.
Add a Crown XLS amp to power them.
Use a DBX DriveRack Venu360 to do crossover duties for splitting the highs (>80Hz) to the panels and the low for the Woofer column. It can optionally do a three-way XO, so you can add a true subwoofer (or two).

I already have a Descent I sub which works below 60 hz but I don't use any hi pass crossover with the CLS.

As my amp has an input capacitor, I could just use a higher value and adjust it to get 60 hz high pass filter. This would be 6 db/oct slope. I suspect they don't use top quality caps in the Parts Express in line crossover. By it's small size, it will probably have an electrolytic capacitor.

Back