Bi-Amp speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepingBear

Reaction score
I'm thinking of bi-amping my ML Mosaics, if it's even possible when i only got two ports of the back of the speaker?

Will it be good for the speakers to be fed with a speakercable from the receiver and amp? Will it do any difference?

Or do I just have to forget it and buy different speakers to solve the problem? :(:rolleyes:

I'm thinking of bi-amping my ML Mosaics, if it's even possible when i only got two ports of the back of the speaker?

Will it be good for the speakers to be fed with a speakercable from the receiver and amp? Will it do any difference?

Or do I just have to forget it and buy different speakers to solve the problem? :(:rolleyes:

Essentially only the older generation of ML speakers could be bi-amped. Many of the newer models have powered woofers and only the ESL panel is being driven by your amplifier.

From the looks of it, I don't believe the Mosaic can be bi-amped. You probably answered your question when you noticed that each speaker has just a pair of terminals in the back for the cable. However, some of the newer models have two pairs of terminals on each speaker, but I believe that was done so the users who used to bi-wire (this is different than bi-amping) could use their cables and not have to purchase new ones.

Erik

Last edited:
Thank you Erik, you are ofcourse right. Probably a hard days work got my brain to some kind of mosh.. :D

you could conceivably still bi-wire --> essentially just run a second parallel speaker cable to each of the + and - terminals.

Some people do this with the intent of halving the series R and series L of the cables. Unfortunately, doing so will double the series C which is exactly what you don't want to do with e-stats.

In the end, it depends on what type of cable you're using. Some would argue that lower capacitance cables (e.g. Nordost ribbons) have inherently higher series inductance, so doubling-up has the potential for some audible improvements.

Personally, I steer clear of the entire bi-amp / bi-wire concept because I find it more easily smears the image, versus using just a single high-quality cable to drive the whole shootin' match. But that's just me. There are plenty of folks herein that would take exception to my position and swear their bi-whatever approach yields a marked improvement. And perhaps it does for them.

If your intent is to increase the power delivered to your Mosaics, there is always amplifier bridging (which usually doubles the power into a single load), however, you would need matching amps (for each side) to consider this.

All kinds of information you probably didn't need ;)

Cheers

Hmm.. there is nothing to biwire if the speaker has only one set of terminals.

Hmm.. there is nothing to biwire if the speaker has only one set of terminals.

... as I said, there are those in the world who have physically run parallel cables - i.e. literally connecting two cables to each speaker terminal... "double-lugging" if you will.

Back